Migrating to Another Server
This article explains how to migrate the Jamf Pro server from one platform to another. For example, you can migrate the Jamf Pro server from a Windows server to an Ubuntu server.
Note: This workflow may vary depending on your migration needs. Depending on your source and target environments, you may need to perform additional steps not covered in this article. It is important that Jamf Pro is migrated correctly to avoid issues with MDM communication. If you need assistance, please contact Jamf Professional Services or Jamf Support.
Jamf Pro 8.2 or later
- Access to the Jamf Pro server
- Access to the server to which you are migrating the Jamf Pro server
This server must meet the Jamf Pro Installer requirements. For installer requirements, see the Jamf Pro installation and configuration guide for your platform.
- The Jamf Pro database utility
- The Jamf Pro Installer for the appropriate platform
For detailed instructions on this procedure, see the steps in your product documentation.
- Back up the existing jamfsoftware database using the Jamf Pro database utility. (If you are using Jamf Pro 8.2 or later, see Backing Up the Database Using the Jamf Pro Database Utility.)
- Ensure that the new server meets the requirements for the Jamf Pro Installer.
- Copy the Jamf Pro Installer to the new server.
- Install Jamf Pro by launching the installer and following the onscreen instructions.
- Create the Jamf Pro database by following the instructions in the Creating the Jamf Pro Database Knowledge Base article.
- Copy the database backup to the new server, and then use the Jamf Pro database utility to restore the backup. For instructions, see the Restoring Database Backups Using the Jamf Pro Database Utility Knowledge Base article.
- Regenerate the web server certificate.
- Update the DNS entry to point to the new server's IP address.
Note: If you can't change the DNS entry, you must change the Jamf Pro URL and re-enroll all mobile devices and computers.
If you plan on moving your distribution point, Software Update server, or NetBoot server, make sure to update the DNS name of the server in Jamf Pro. For instructions on how to edit your distribution point, Software Update Server, or NetBoot Server information, see the Jamf Pro Administrator's Guide.