Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is a dynamic and knowledgeable community of Apple-focused IT admins and Jamf Pro users. Join us in person, in October, for the annual Jamf Nation User Conference (JNUC) to discover new and better ways to manage Apple devices.

Deploying macOS 10.7 or Later with the Casper Suite

Overview

There are two main macOS deployment scenarios:

• Deploying an macOS upgrade—This allows you to preserve the settings and files on computers. It should be used for upgrading macOS on computers that are already configured in your environment.

• Deploying macOS by imaging—This gives you complete control over the settings and files on computers. It should be used for configuring newly purchased computers or re-purposing computers that are already part of your environment.

The following technical paper provides workflows for deploying a macOS upgrade using the Casper Suite v9.2 or later, and for deploying macOS by imaging using the Casper Suite v8.3 or later.

Deploying macOS 10.7 or Later with the Casper Suite

For a workflow for deploying a macOS upgrade using the Casper Suite v8.3-9.1, see below.

Deploying a macOS Upgrade Using the Casper Suite v8.3-9.1

Requirements

To deploy a macOS upgrade using the instructions in this article, you need:

• The JSS v8.31 or later
  • Casper Admin
  • Casper Imaging
  • Composer
  • The .app file for the appropriate version of macOS. For example, Install OS X Mountain Lion.app. You can obtain the latest .app file for macOS from the Mac App Store.
  • An Apple ID
  • Managed computers with:
    • (For deployments of macOS 10.10 or later only) macOS 10.7 or later Computers with macOS 10.5 or macOS 10.6 must be upgraded to macOS 10.7 or later before upgrading to macOS 10.10.
  • Self Service
  • The system requirements for the version of macOS that you plan to deploy

Procedure

1. Log in to the JSS and create a smart group for the Macs that are running macOS 10.6.8 or later. For more information, see the Casper Suite Administrator's Guide.
  2. Copy the .app file for macOS to the /Users/Shared/ directory.
  3. Package the .app file as a DMG using Composer or a third-party package building tool. With Composer, this can be done by simply dragging the .app file from /Users/Shared/ to the left pane of the main Composer window.
  4. Add the package of the .app file to Casper Admin. For more information, see the Casper Suite Administrator's Guide.
  5. Create a script to call the installer: a. Open TextEdit and create a new file. b. From the Format menu, choose "Make Plain Text". c. In the TextEdit file, enter a command similar to one of the following:
  6. For macOS 10.7:
    #!/bin/sh
    /Users/Shared/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion&
  7. For macOS 10.8:
    #!/bin/sh
    /Users/Shared/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion\ 10.8.3.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion&
  8. For macOS 10.9:
    #!/bin/sh
    /Users/Shared/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks&
  9. For macOS 10.10:
    #!/bin/sh
    /Users/Shared/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/MacOS/InstallAssistant&
  10. For macOS 10.11:
    #!/bin/sh
    /Users/Shared/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/MacOS/InstallAssistant&
  11. Save the file with a .sh extension.
  12. Add the script that you just created to Casper Admin and assign a priority of "After" to it. For more information, see the Casper Suite Administrator's Guide.
  13. Create a policy manually in the JSS to execute the installer: a. On the Self Service tab, select the Allow this Policy to be used for Self Service checkbox. b. On the General tab, set the trigger to "None (Self Service only)" and the execution frequency to "Ongoing". c. Assign the smart group that you created in step 1 to the scope. d. On the Packages tab, add the DMG containing macOS 10.7 or 10.8 to the policy, and ensure that the FUT and FEU options are deselected.Note: Deploying the macOS 10.7 or 10.8 DMG and using HTTP for downloads will allow for resumable downloads. e. On the Scripts tab, add the script that you created in step 5 to the policy, and select the Run After option.
Like Comment
SOLVED Posted: 11/23/11 at 10:50 AM by tanderson

One thing I've noticed in testing is that when upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7, our hidden service accounts (our local admin acct and our Casper service account) have been removed. From what I've read, this isn't necessarily a new development as it happened on previous OS upgrades too, but I haven't verified that. I've seen recommendations to unhide those accounts prior to the upgrade and then hide them again afterwards to avoid having them wiped out but haven't gotten that far in my testing. Just FYI.

SOLVED Posted: 12/2/11 at 5:05 PM by albert

This was an issue that was brought up at the user conference and the suggested fix by one of the awesome presenters was to elevate the uid of the account to anything above 500, install the update, and restore the acct changes via script. I haven't tested it out yet myself but makes sense.

SOLVED Posted: 12/5/11 at 12:00 PM by kennyo

Under Scenario 3 there are some potential issues with the script in Step 8c. Based upon some troubleshooting I believe it should look like this:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s3
/usr/sbin/asr adjust --target /dev/disk0s3 -settype Apple_Boot

Also, in order to run the asr adjust portion of the script you have to run the command as sudo, but if you're not booted into the OS that can't happen. As a work around I just changed the script priority to "At Reboot." The JAMF binary will run the script as sudo.

Is anyone else using this method and/or run into this issue?

SOLVED Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:34 AM by tomweis

I have tried Scenario 3. The Recovery HD partition is NOT hidden. I have tried kennyo's suggestions; adding the extra "-" to the script and changing the priority to "At Reboot". Neither works for me as the Recovery HD partition pops up on the desktop.
Any other suggestions out there?

SOLVED Posted: 1/11/12 at 1:18 PM by kennyo

Tom, I'm not sure what kinda of hardware you are working with but if it's not hiding the Recovery HD, it might be worth checking the Identifier on that drive. You can do it from terminal using the command : diskutil list It should list the Identifier of all the volumes on your machine. Once you find Recovery HD, make sure it's properly Identified in the script above.

SOLVED Posted: 1/11/12 at 3:03 PM by tomweis

Update regarding my issue.

Kennyo, thanks for your suggestion. However the drive is indeed disk0s3.

I discovered that simply running the Recovery HD script again (via policy) after the initial installation then hides the partition. It's a hassle but a small one.

However, there's a much larger problem with all of this \- I cannot boot the computer from the Recovery HD partition!

I have one computer running 10.7.2 that was installed from the Apple installer and it works fine \- boots from the Recovery HD partition as it should. It has 650MB of data written to Recovery HD. The Casper-ized computers have about 815MB in that partition and the partition does not boot. What the heck is going on here?

CCA Badge CCE Badge CJA Badge CSE Badge CMA Badge JAMFBadge
SOLVED Posted: 1/11/12 at 3:11 PM by daworley

@tomweis \- Do you know if the line in the script to set the partition type is working? /usr/sbin/asr adjust -target /dev/disk0s3 -settype Apple_Boot

Run this once the partition is unmounted, and run a "diskutil list" command before and after to verify something changing.

SOLVED Posted: 1/11/12 at 6:54 PM by kennyo

@tomweis,

So before hiding you are not able to boot into the Recovery HD? That's very odd, especially since it works on your source drive that you created everything from. Have you tested the just pushing out the boot partition to a drive via imaging and the boot partition to a drive and then just option booting just boot that?

On the set that I have going, Casper imaging pretty much does not touch that partition other than partitioning the source drive into Macintosh HD and Recovery HD (Step on in the process) and laying down the Recovery HD.dmg (which comes last in my pre-flight configuration (I always to use disk utility before hand to format the drive and any other pre-existing partitions on it).

After that it should reboot and you should be good to go.

I then have the script from above set to run and hide the Recovery HD on first run and make sure you have those two dashes as noted.

SOLVED Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:09 PM by tomweis

@daworley \- Thanks for your comments.
The script I am using does have this text:
/usr/sbin/asr adjust -target /dev/disk0s3 -settype Apple_Boot
I copied it right from the article above.
The script does run, but is it actually working? I don't know.

diskutil list doesn't show me much... maybe you mean diskutil info disk0s3?
If you have any other suggestions please share. Thanks!

SOLVED Posted: 1/12/12 at 8:55 AM by tomweis

@kenmyo
"So before hiding you are not able to boot into the Recovery HD?" That's correct. I've tried it both ways \- visible and hidden. Still can't boot from Recovery HD. Also, again, in both cases the amount of data in that partition is mysteriously larger than in a virgin Apple installation.

"Have you tested the just pushing out the boot partition to a drive via imaging and the boot partition to a drive and then just option booting just boot that?" No I haven't. It's a good idea for a test, but classes start here next Tuesday and I don't have the luxury of time. Aside from the Recovery HD weirdness, Lion seems to work OK on the iMacs we are using so I will proceed this way for now.

"I always to use disk utility before hand to format the drive and any other pre-existing partitions on it." This is interesting. Jamf suggests creating that partition with Imaging. See Scenario 3, Step 10 above. So are you saying you ignore Step 10 and instead you partition the drive yourself in advance of running Imaging?

SOLVED Posted: 1/18/12 at 9:31 AM by tomweis

Update:
I figured out what I did wrong. At first I thought the MAC OS X 10.7 configuration would automatically refer to the Recovery HD configuration. In other words I thought the first would automatically run the second. It seems only one config can be run at a time. So, I ran the Recovery HD config after the OS config. This populated the Recovery HD partition with the stuff needed to boot from it and perform a recovery of the computer if needed.
However, this did not solve the issue of the Recovery HD partition still being visible. For that I had to run the Recovery HD script by itself as the third step in this process.

SOLVED Posted: 2/28/12 at 1:02 PM by theraven

I noticed in senario 3 step 6 there is a reference to Compiling Configurations, is this a requirement for this process to work.

SOLVED Posted: 2/29/12 at 12:26 PM by theraven

I was able to lay down each of the partitions successfully on a machine but I could not enable FileVault 2. Has anyone else seen this issue ?

SOLVED Posted: 2/29/12 at 12:26 PM by theraven

CCT Badge CCA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 3/3/12 at 7:04 AM by ericbenfer

Scenario 3 \- Step 8c Script suggestion.
There could be cases where the Recovery HD partition is not disk0s3.
For instance if you have more than one drive.

I have modified the script to specifically find a disk called "Recovery HD" and hide it.

This assumes your Recovery HD image is called "Recovery HD", and that there are no other disks called "Recovery HD".

#!/bin/sh

RecoveryHDName="Recovery HD"
RecoveryHDID=`/usr/sbin/diskutil list | grep "$RecoveryHDName" | awk 'END { print $NF }'`

/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount /dev/"$RecoveryHDID"
/usr/sbin/asr adjust -target /dev/"$RecoveryHDID" -settype Apple_Boot
/usr/sbin/diskutil info /dev/"$RecoveryHDID"
SOLVED Posted: 3/5/12 at 5:11 PM by evarona

@theraven: ARRRRGH! Thank you for catching that. I've spent over a week wonder WTF this wasn't working. I deleted the compiled config and recreated a non-compiled config and voila! Then again I also didn't realize that the additional partition needed to be called "Recovery HD" and not "Recovery_HD" so that could have been the problem as well.

Thanks all for your help.

SOLVED Posted: 3/6/12 at 11:12 AM by casper.admin

I don't use Scenario #3. It dont make much sense.Instead what I did was installed 10.7.3 on a computer and add all the applications we use, add an hidden account, printers and all then captured the HD image (Lion.dmg) and add it to the jss then just use imaging if i want to do a lion installation on a computer that is new or that i need to wipe and reinstall. That way you dont have to worry about HD recovery cause it shuld be there.

So you only need Scenario #2 so that you can upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7 and use the above method for scenario 1 and 3. And you dont have to add all the applications if you wish. you could just do a base image \+ hidden account then add the apps in a configuration when compiling.

CCT Badge CCA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 3/6/12 at 12:21 PM by ericbenfer

casper.admin...
Scenario 3 adds the Recovery HD partition. If you are going to use FileVault 2 you must have the Recovery HD partition.

SOLVED Posted: 3/6/12 at 12:41 PM by casper.admin

Ericbenfer...

Did you read my previous post? Doing the way i doesnt have the Recovery HD? sure it does

SOLVED Posted: 3/6/12 at 1:26 PM by casper.admin

Question: When upgrading using self service "scenario #2", in the policy should the Action under package be Install or cache? and i cant any computer running the policy when i do View status for that policy. ANd if the user close the computer will it continue the download where it left off or not?

SOLVED Posted: 3/29/12 at 9:51 AM by barber

I'm on scenario 3 but having an issue. I've used the documentation and have created a Recovery HD from my late 2011 model macbook pro. I've managed to get everything working even filevault but when i go into recovery mode i get a no-entry sign after 2minutes. I've even used asr to create an image and have scanned to restore but that method doesn't work.

CCA Badge CCE Badge CMA Badge CUG Badge
SOLVED Posted: 4/13/12 at 11:22 PM by donmontalvo
CCA Badge CCE Badge CMA Badge CUG Badge
SOLVED Posted: 5/5/12 at 4:14 PM by donmontalvo

It appears "Boot Drive Full" only does percentage?

Total RAAM **[more than]** 2047 MB
**[and]** Processor Type **[like]** Core 2 Duo
**[or]** Processor Type **[like]** Core i3
**[or]** Processor Type **[like]** Core i5
**[or]** Processor Type **[like]** Core i7
**[or]** Processor Type **[like]** Xeon
Boot Drive Full **[less than]** 91
Operating System **[like]** 10.6.8
**[and]** Operating System **[not like]** 10.7
**[and]** Operating System **[not like]** 10.8
CCA Badge CMA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 5/6/12 at 4:08 PM by brlittle

I wrote an EA that parses du output to get a "space remaining in GB" integer you can use to evaluate eligibility, if that's what you need, Don. Not sure if that's the context of your remark. :)

CCA Badge CMA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 6/19/12 at 4:17 PM by cbrewer

The instructions above recommend using '/Users/Shared/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion' as the command to execute in Self Service. I've found this causes the policy in Self Service to hang and never actually finish. I've had better results using the following:

'open /Users/Shared/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion.app'

SOLVED Posted: 9/5/12 at 8:30 AM by generic

For me the OS X Mountain Lion Install dialog only starts in the background. How do you fix this?

CCA Badge CCE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 10/11/12 at 1:39 AM by tkimpton

One massive flaw!

No dropping InstallESD.dmg in to a config!

Tried that and it just friggin block copies!

Back to InstaDMG!

CCT Badge
SOLVED Posted: 10/15/12 at 9:44 AM by spalmer

I tweaked the script posted by ericbenfer slightly because I had a small heart attack after my external drives I use for Casper Imaging stopped appearing in the Finder. I eventually realized that because I name my external drives "ITS Recovery HD" they were getting caught by this script. Here it is with a slight tweak to ensure it is only working on internal disks.

#!/bin/sh

RecoveryHDName="Recovery HD"
RecoveryHDID=`/usr/sbin/diskutil list | grep disk0 | grep "$RecoveryHDName" | awk 'END { print $NF }'`

/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount /dev/"$RecoveryHDID"
/usr/sbin/asr adjust -target /dev/"$RecoveryHDID" -settype Apple_Boot
/usr/sbin/diskutil info /dev/"$RecoveryHDID"

I'm sure there is a way to find partitions that only match the name "Recovery HD" exactly but this gets me what I need for now, and it may save others from the same scare I had.

CCA Badge CMA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 11/15/12 at 10:19 AM by macboy

After following the directions above I am trying to deploy a Mountain Lion upgrade through self service for users. I keep getting an error box of "Could not find installtion information for this machine. Contact AppleCare." during the install process. However, a manual install straight from the download works correctly when not going through the Self Service. Maybe I missed something somewhere? I have tried to do it twice and recreated following the directions above to a T.

CCA Badge CMA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 11/15/12 at 10:55 AM by macboy

Never mind I figured it out. Using the wrong installer.

CCT Badge CCA Badge CCE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 11/15/12 at 3:19 PM by rcurran

After following Scenario 3, I am able to enable filevault encryption but I am unable to boot to the recovery partition. I have tried most of the scripts above.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

CCT Badge
SOLVED Posted: 2/1/13 at 1:46 PM by powellbc

When I deploy mountain Lion as described in scenario 3, many of the built in sandboxed Apple apps (Mail, App Store, Reminders) crash and won't open. I have been told this is due to a symlinks issue described here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6351

Is there an officially supported way around this?

SOLVED Posted: 2/14/13 at 5:09 PM by etblack

Using method 2, how does one automate the copying of the Install app to the Shared folder?

I've been testing using the createOSXinstallpkg script to create a package installer for 10.8 and so far it works but as I recall it does not create the recovery partition.

SOLVED Posted: 2/15/13 at 2:08 PM by themacdweeb

installOSX.pkg uses apple's own installer. it just wraps it up in a tidy format with a neat python script that does the heavy lifting. which is to say: it DOES install the recovery partition.

CCA Badge CJA Badge CMA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:26 PM by JPDyson

Echoing a previous comment, Recovery HD cannot be assumed to exist at disk0s3; I arrived at this discovery independently of ericbenfer's post above, but came to a similar conclusion:

recHD=`/usr/sbin/diskutil list | grep "Apple_HFS Recovery HD" | awk '{print $NF}'`

/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount /dev/$recHD
/usr/sbin/asr adjust -target /dev/$recHD -settype Apple_Boot

The main difference is that I grep for an Apple_HFS partition called Recovery HD; this would be the result of using Casper Imaging to create one (and would eliminate the chance of you attempting these steps on a Recovery HD already formatted to Apple_Boot). It's been working perfectly for me.

SOLVED Posted: 7/1/13 at 4:41 PM by martellg

i'm using option 3 to deploy os 10.7 and 10.8 everything works great

i'm using the following script to hide the recovery HD partition

#!/bin/sh

RecoveryHDName="Recovery HD"
RecoveryHDID=/usr/sbin/diskutil list | grep "$RecoveryHDName" | awk 'END \{ print $NF }'\

/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount /dev/"$RecoveryHDID" /usr/sbin/asr adjust -target /dev/"$RecoveryHDID" -settype Apple_Boot /usr/sbin/diskutil info /dev/"$RecoveryHDID"

all works fine, except when i try to reboot holding the option key down to select what drive to boot from. Recovery HD shows up as Macintosh HD and when selected it doesn't boot from it.
i get the not symbol. has anyone run in to this issue? if so how have you resolve it.

thanks.

CCT Badge CCA Badge CCE Badge CJA Badge CMA Badge Integrator Badge
SOLVED Posted: 7/3/13 at 8:52 AM by daz_wallace

Hi All,

Currently trying to use Scenario 2 above from a 10.7.5 client machine. All seems to work fine, but on the reboot of the installer app the machine will boot to an Apple Logo and Kernel Panic.

The installer app is cached locally first and the executable within launched from Self service using the settings above.
If the installer app is launched manually (although requiring local admin authorisation) it will work fine \- ruling out a bad installer.

Any ideas / assistance please?

Darren

CCT Badge CCA Badge CCE Badge CJA Badge CMA Badge Integrator Badge
SOLVED Posted: 7/3/13 at 9:06 AM by daz_wallace

Fixed it.

We run a second partition for the Users folder and symlinked this from it's normal location. Copying the direct path from the instructions launched the App but somehow messed up the EFI booter.

Changed the path to "/Volumes/Users/Shared/...." worked.

Darren

SOLVED Posted: 7/5/13 at 3:16 PM by cohawkeye

I've only had any luck ditching the version name in my .sh file

#!/bin/sh
/Users/Shared/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion&

CCA Badge CCE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 7/8/13 at 7:28 PM by seabash

Re: Scenario 2 (above) \- check your OS X 10.8 Mt Lion .app name, lest pathing issues ensue. I think Erin's example employs some version naming scheme for her .app, because Apple does not append versions. E.g. "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" vs her example of "Install OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3.app" Right/control-click your .app to ensure the remaining script path isn't broken ("..app/Contents/MacOS/Install OS X Mountain Lion&"

Hopefully this clarifies things for anyone who's scripts are failing.

CCA Badge CMA Badge
SOLVED Posted: 7/9/13 at 10:18 AM by nethers

We are imaging 10.8.4 onto new machines via NetInstall and have attempted to use Casper Netboot Automator Action (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=140&view=info). Our resulting NBI does not have the expected results. First, when the NBI is booted to, the user is prompt to sign in to an Apple ID (so we hit skip), then when the OS loads, Imaging never opens. What's the deal? Is Casper Netboot Automator Action no longer supported?

SOLVED Posted: 7/19/13 at 8:06 AM by david.yenzer

We are attempting to use Scenario 2 and it works to upgrade to Mtn Lion just fine except once it's up and running I find that it has lost it's JAMF/Self Service connection. We can then run the Quick Add package, but the idea is that the end user will be doing this via Self Service and having to run the Quick Add seems like it shouldn't be necessary. I attempted to package the Quick Add in with the Mtn Lion update so everything is just smooth, but that hasn't worked yet. Does anybody have any suggestions on what caused this issue and/or what we can do to resolve it? Thanks!

SOLVED Posted: 7/19/13 at 11:41 AM by david.yenzer

To clarify some details on my issue \- after the Scenario 2 upgrade to Mtn Lion, the user is able to go to Self Service and see packages \- however, they are now required to enter a password to install any of them. If I rerun the Quick Add package, that issue goes away. Reboot did not resolve this. Will try to push a QuickAdd package after-the-fact.

SOLVED Posted: 7/19/13 at 11:59 AM by david.yenzer

Nope \- doesn't look like I can force/push the Quickadd package via JAMF to that machine. The connection seems to have broken. When I reboot I no longer get the "checking for updates" message either.

SOLVED Posted: 8/1/13 at 12:20 PM by tanderson

@martellg --- Yes, we are having the same issue with the two instances of Macintosh HD appearing in the Boot Manager. Also see the "not" symbol when trying to boot into Recovery using option. Odd thing is it works fine when using Command \+ R. We are using the same script to hide the recovery partition. I have a ticket open with AppleCare. Have you found a solution yet?

SOLVED Posted: 8/22/13 at 3:35 PM by fvarela

Posted 7/1/13 at 4:41 PM by martellg getting the same results, but using Command \+ R (tanderson post) I am able to boot into Recovery.

Also notice on Factory build the Recovery Partition is called Recovery-10.8.4 but diskutil list it has Recovery HD.. I do not if that makes it any difference.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Hardware:
Macbook Air 6,1 13-inch

CCA Badge CCE Badge CSE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 8/30/13 at 10:57 AM by Xopher

New here, 1st posted question. I have been using Casper for a while but am new to Apple OS on a technical level so I will beg forgiveness now for my lumbering brain. Our JSS is 8.6.2, Casper Suite is 8.6.4.
Anyway in scenario 2, when it's recommended to upload the 10.8.x Installer, there is no mention of setting FUT and FEU options for the DMG, but later the policy creation directions states: "ensure that the FUT and FEU options are deselected." I'd like to confirm if this is because neither the DMG or policy should have FUT and FEU set, or that policy does not need because the DMG alone should have it.
Many more lame questions to come, thanks!

SOLVED Posted: 10/10/13 at 2:12 PM by tanderson

@fvarela We're still having the issue and have a support call with Apple today. If we find out anything worthwhile, I will share it with everyone.

CCA Badge CCE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 10/11/13 at 1:22 AM by tkimpton

InstaDMG Always works and creates the recovery partition :)

Try it guys seriously! I should have listen to guys on here years ago instead of pulling my hair out over it!

SOLVED Posted: 10/22/13 at 3:10 PM by denmoff

Please fix the "Deploying OS X v10.7 or Later with the Casper Suite" link.
Edit: Thanks!

SOLVED Posted: 10/29/13 at 3:34 PM by rfreeborn

Just discovered one step missing in the "Deploying OS X v10.7 or Later with the Casper Suite" PDF documentation for this. In Step 2: Cache the InstallESD.dmg File to add Maintenance payload to Update Inventory along with Package Payload. If you don't have an Update Inventory after file is cached, device will not show up in SmartGroup looking for computers with has Cached InstallESD.dmg criteria.

CCA Badge CMA Badge JAMFBadge
SOLVED Posted: 11/12/13 at 9:37 AM by erin.miska

Hey everyone,

We've implemented Freeborn's suggestion in the "Deploying OS X v10.7 or Later with the Casper Suite" technical paper, along with a number of other minor updates. There's a "Revision History" section at the end of the document that explains these changes in detail.

-Erin

SOLVED Posted: 11/25/13 at 6:45 PM by msierra

Following the instructions- I'm receiving an error '... application is damaged..." message.
My script runs and starts the installer just fine, seems to be an issue with the way composer creates the .dmg.
I copied the .dmg containing the mountain lion.app to my test machine, and if I run the mountain lion.app the installer kicks off fine, as soon as I drag the mountain lion.app to the desktop, run it from the desktop I get the '...application is damaged...' error message again. Has anyone else seen or run into this? Thoughts/ Suggestions?

-Matt

SOLVED Posted: 12/6/13 at 12:34 PM by robb1068

I've tried this and the only thing it does is launch the Mountain Lion installer app. Is that all it does?

SOLVED Posted: 1/24/14 at 3:07 PM by makander

I'm having some difficulties with creating the recovery partition for our MacBook Pro Retinas. I've followed the whitepaper on it. Mounted the recovery partition, captured it with Composer and added it together with the script for hiding it in Casper Admin.

But the recovery partition wont show in the boot selector after imaging. I've looked at my previous builds and I can't for the love of it figure out why it wont work. It either shows up as another "Macintosh HD" which I can't boot to, I get the stop sign.

CCA Badge CCE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 1/25/14 at 2:55 AM by tkimpton

InstaDMG = 10.7.5 and below

AutoDMG = 10.8 and above

Both sort out the recovery partition no problem ;)

Took me a few years before listen to folks on here, but I'm glad I did.

SOLVED Posted: 1/25/14 at 8:38 AM by makander

I'll look into AutoDMG @tkimpton][/url!

But the oddest thing about this recovery partition issue is that it's displayed as drive called: "Macintosh HD" in the boot manager. When I start to it I get the stop sign.

If I boot into the the OS and run "diskutil list" and then mount the recovery partition it's named: "Recovery HD" as it's supposed to. Still can't start to it. Maybe I just have to rebuild it / recapture it.

If I reboot into the boot manager after this, it's displayed as: "Recovery HD", still can't start to it.

CCA Badge CMA Badge CUG Badge
SOLVED Posted: 1/25/14 at 4:05 PM by stevewood

Anytime I need to add a Recovery partition to a machine, I use the process that Allen Golbig and Greg Neagle put together. I use Greg's template and it's worked like a charm:

No need to run Composer or anything. Just download his PKG file and follow the blog post.

I will say, I have NOT tried this with 10.8 or 10.9, but I would imagine this process would work with those two OSs.

SOLVED Posted: 1/27/14 at 8:01 AM by makander

Thanks @stevewood! I'll keep that in mind and try that out next time I'm having issue with the Recovery partition.

I managed to solve it by formatting the drive, running internet recovery and then capturing it with Composer. Still don't know what I was wrong with the first build. Well, well atleast I have a couple of new things to try next time. Thanks!

SOLVED Posted: 2/6/14 at 8:04 AM by nixonc85

How do I run the installer without requiring admin rights, is this possible?

I have managed to cache the Install OS X Mavericks.app and have a script to launch the installer but it asks for an admin password.

I am using Casper 8.73

CCA Badge CCE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 2/6/14 at 7:41 PM by seabash

@nixonc85][/url Standard (non admin) users should be able to enter their passwords to commence the Mavericks upgrade via Self Service. I'm also using Casper 8.73 in production, and was concerned that this would require admin pw (read: call to help desk).

If you're looking to prevent the prompt entirely, the kb indicates that Casper 9 can take the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" directly from Mac App Store. See kb or notes above for detail.

Hope that helps

CCA Badge CCE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 2/6/14 at 7:41 PM by seabash

Dbl post

SOLVED Posted: 2/7/14 at 4:18 AM by nixonc85

@seabash thanks, i've tried with a non-standard user and although it accepts their password, when it reboots i just see the folder with a question mark icon on the pre-boot screen, however doing the same with admin credentials is successful.

Unfortunately Casper 9 is not yet available in our production environment.

SOLVED Posted: 11/10/14 at 8:05 AM by david.yenzer

I'd just like to say that the PDF for "Deploying OS X v10.7 or Later with the Casper Suite" is pretty awesome...and easy...and awesome. The end. Wish I'd found that sooner!

CCT Badge
SOLVED Posted: 11/23/14 at 5:28 PM by WUSLS

Just finding this today as well... right there with you @david.yenzer.

SOLVED Posted: 4/21/15 at 5:04 AM by kristianlee

This article needs updating for Yosemite - the correct path for the installer is now:

#!/bin/sh
/Users/Shared/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/MacOS/InstallAssistant&
SOLVED Posted: 12/4/15 at 12:15 PM by dhanes

Attempting to install 10.11 El Capitan and I follow the instructions however when I start to go through the install process I get the following error message. Any thoughts?

This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading. Delete this copy of the application, and go to the Purchases page of the Mac App Store to download a new copy.

Update: Took 3 downloads, but it appears to be resolved.

CCT Badge
SOLVED Posted: 4/18/16 at 1:44 PM by rpayne

I have the policy working to download the package and open the installer, but you then have to follow the onscreen prompts. Am I doing it wrong or was this the intent? If so, is there a way to run it without user interaction?

SOLVED Posted: 6/30/16 at 10:47 AM by Verducci

(accidental post deleted)

CCA Badge CSE Badge
SOLVED Posted: 5/3/17 at 9:29 PM by cwaldrip

Won't this leave the installer in /Users/Shared once its done? Probably best to run some script after the fact to delete the installer after the machine has been upgraded.

Or install it in /Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/tmp/ or Waiting Room?