Minimum computer record contents to allow AutoRun config? (JAMF API POST-ing)

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

While experimenting with creating a new computer record via an API POST, I've found that when creating a minimal computer record (for example, just 'udid' and 'name'), the record becomes available in the JSS web interface, but no 'AutoRun Data' button is offered.

If, however, I add a second computer record using the XML that I've taken from a 'complete' computer record (with identifying parameters like MACs, serial, udid, etc modified of course), this newly created record does offer the button to set AutoRun data.

It appears that there is some minimum information (beyond Name and UDID) is needed in the computer record before the JSS will allow setting AutoRun data. Does anyone know what these items are?

Thanks,
Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

OK - A bit of educated guessing and process of elimination, and I've got it. You must specify that the 'os_name' in the 'hardware' section is 'Mac OS X', and then the AutoRun Data button is presented. Makes sense, really.

So the bare minimum XML to create a new UDID based record by POSTing, that you can then modify without restrictions in the JSS, is something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<computer>
    <general>
        <udid>AAAAAAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEEEEEEEEEE</udid>
    </general>
    <hardware>
        <os_name>Mac OS X</os_name>
    </hardware>
</computer>

-Robin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

OK - A bit of educated guessing and process of elimination, and I've got it. You must specify that the 'os_name' in the 'hardware' section is 'Mac OS X', and then the AutoRun Data button is presented. Makes sense, really.

So the bare minimum XML to create a new UDID based record by POSTing, that you can then modify without restrictions in the JSS, is something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<computer>
    <general>
        <udid>AAAAAAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEEEEEEEEEE</udid>
    </general>
    <hardware>
        <os_name>Mac OS X</os_name>
    </hardware>
</computer>

-Robin

Olivier
New Contributor II

+1
I also hit same problem, and believe this kind of infos should be documented in JAMF KB (together with other useful API infos, like for example at least the base URL to access the API "https://server:8443/JSSResource/, which is still undocumented in any official KB article as far as I know...).

Anyway, does someone know how to add manually a new computer to JSS and add Autorun infos to it, without using any API? Some guys reported in other threads that JAMF removed the "New" button (to create a fresh empty computer object) in the web interface since JSS 9?! If this is true, I don't understand why they decided to remove such a feature.

Olivier
New Contributor II

Here is the XML file we will use with Casper 9.62 :

<computer> <general> <name>computername</name> <mac_address>00:DE:AD:DE:AD:00</mac_address> <platform>Mac</platform> </general> <hardware> <os_name>Mac OS X</os_name> <os_version>10.10</os_version> </hardware>
</computer>

We noticed a problem in JSS in recent 9.6x versions (it did not happen in 9.32) that when you push XML file without <os_version> tag, you cannot perform a search in the web interface later with either MAC@ or computer name (only way to find the object if you lost the created JSS ID is performing a search on all JSS ID, and sort them descending : you will find your entry with computer name being "no name"). I did not really double-checked if this is also applicable to fresh installations, or if it behaves differently using UDID instead of MAC address, but this is what I noticed on our test infra.