Really Small Compiled Configurations

sternen
New Contributor

I am having trouble compiling configurations and was hoping may one of you has run into this and has a solution.

When I compile the image it appears to go through the process correctly on the machine running Admin, but when all is said and done the compiled image in the distribution point is only 1.7 MB. Yup... I said Mega Bytes.

I thought there was maybe something inside the confutation that was throwing a wrench in the works so I created a new test configuration and only included the OS, a couple web browsers, and a copy of Office. This time it created a compiled an image that was only 1.5MB. :-/

We are running JAMF 9.24.

This is such a wierd one that I know I must be doing something wrong, but can't for the life of me imagine what it may be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Are you using a JDS?

sternen
New Contributor

No. Ours is a really basic set up with the main distribution point housed on a second drive on the main server. The main server is a MacPro running 10.8.5.

We had just moved the main distribution point from the same drive as the OS to the second drive. At first I thought I messed something up in the move, but all other functions appears to be working normally. Creating a compiled configuration is the only problem we are currently having. We don't compile images often, usually only at our yearly roll outs, so I am not sure if the problem would have presented itself before the change or not.

sternen
New Contributor

I have some more details to help flush this issue out.... any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Today I updated our server to 9.3 hoping that would solve the issue. No dice.

Here is what I am doing and what I am seeing. Please tell me if I am doing something stupid... I am a big boy and can handle it.

I am launching Casper Admin on a mac other than the server. I created a very basic configuration that includes our OS build of OSX 10.9, Chrome, Firefox, and Office. I saved the configuration and then closed Casper Admin.

I tested pushing this simple configuration out as an un-compiled image to a different MacBook Pro that I had NetBooted. It worked without issue.

I go back to the computer I ran Admin on and relaunched it. I highlighted the test configuration and hit "Compile" and chose to build it as a Compressed image.

My machine created a disk image and then formatted it. It started Installing packages. Each package only said it was installing for 3 seconds each. It then moved to the Compiling Image stage and then did the checksum checks.

When it was finished I checked the server and the compiled image for this test build is only 1.5MB.

I then re-ran the test as an Uncompressed image. It ran as before, each package only taking 3 seconds to install before moving to the Compiling stage and then the checksum stage.

When it was done I checked the image on the server and it was now 324.7 MB. An improvement, but not even close to what it should be.

Any ideas?