Upgrading 9.24->9.3, Port 443 Already In Use?

nethers
Contributor

When attempting to upgrade the JSS install on our xserve from 9.24 to 9.3, we're prompt with 'Web Application Ports in Use, Port 443 is already in use by another application. This is required to install a JDS on this server.' The Generic HTTPS port is likely in use by our 'Server' app [Websites - ON: Server Website (SSL)]. Our only option on that prompt is 'OK', can we continue with the install? If not, do we need to find what's using 443, then stop/remove it?

We have a backup of 9.24, but did not want to proceed without hearing from the community.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@nethers

Sorry about the long delay between this answer and the time you posted!

That message is perfectly normal and expected; it's just a notification meant to let you know that port 443 is in use and, if you were planning to also install a JDS (which uses port 443) on the same machine, that you'd need to stop whatever other service was already using port 443.

If you're not using a JDS and/or don't plan to install a JDS on the same computer as the JSS, it's nothing to worry about.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@nethers

Sorry about the long delay between this answer and the time you posted!

That message is perfectly normal and expected; it's just a notification meant to let you know that port 443 is in use and, if you were planning to also install a JDS (which uses port 443) on the same machine, that you'd need to stop whatever other service was already using port 443.

If you're not using a JDS and/or don't plan to install a JDS on the same computer as the JSS, it's nothing to worry about.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

nethers
Contributor

Ha, thanks for the reponse. Definitely just went ahead with it.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@nethers

Figured as much, given the date! One of our newer support people saw the message while setting up his JSS and linked your thread, so I figured better late than never!

Still, good to have it answered in case that same message trips anyone else up. :)

Jean-Marie_Moes
New Contributor

Hi Amanda,

I was just prompted with the same message, of course went first to JAMF Nation and found your thread. I guess I should have read the message further, where it specifies "required to install a JDS instance" ;)

Thanks,
Jean-Marie