QuickAdd MD5 Failure

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

Is anybody else seeing this? I had this problem with 9.23-25 when packaging anything with Composer and that was resolved in 9.3. I just realized I'm seeing the old problem remains in 9.3 for Recon.app. The problem is that when I create a quickadd package and drag it into Casper Admin, the MD5 shows a local path with an error stating:

index.bom:,No,such,file,or,directory

external image link

This used to happen with every PKG I made in Composer, but that issue has since been resolved. Any ideas? I even tried building the package on a different computer with a fresh image on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

@Chris_Hafner][/url, what Amanda found for me was that there is in fact a bug present and the successful work around for my single distribution point environment was to use the "Migrate" feature. Even though I don't have multiple distribution points, using migrate alleviated my invalid and/or missing MD5 checksums. Once I migrated, all of my package verification errors went away and it's been mostly smooth sailing (with the exception of my Casper Imaging splash screen issue all over the place). If Casper Admin still shows the migrate option for you, I'd be curious to see if migrating alleviates your verification issues as well.

Edit: In re-reading your post you mention rebuilding your DPs, so I'm assuming you are already migrated. If that's the case I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

Logs show this when the package attempts to install. It even fails with the JSS setting for package verification disabled.

Executing Policy Re-Enroll (OIT)...
Mounting Primary Distribution to /Volumes/Distribution...
Verifying package integrity...
Installation failed. The package could not be verified.

jimlee
New Contributor III

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hi @cstout ,

I see we’ve got a case open with your Technical Account Manager, Zach, so I’ve added a few notes to the case as well.

I had a quick chat with development, and we’d like to see the output of a couple of things and look at a few log files to see we can get this pinpointed down.

If you’d prefer to reply with an e-mail on the case with your Technical Account Manager, please do so, otherwise replying here will also work.

1) What sort of distribution point are we using? AFP, SMB, HTTP, or a combination?

2) Have scripts/packages been migrated yet?

3) We’d like to see the verbose output from the policy that is trying to install the package and failing with the validation error.
From Terminal on an affected client:

sudo jamf policy -trigger triggernamehere -verbose

4) From the client we just tried to run the policy on, grab the system.log and jamf.log. We’ll want to attach those to an e-mail to send in on your open case.

5) If you’re comfortable logging into MySQL’s command line interface, we’d like to do the following:

- /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p and enter your MySQL password when prompted. If you don’t have a MySQL root password, just hit enter.

- use jamfsoftware;

- select package_validation_level from client_security;

Copy/screenshot the output (it will show either 0, 1, or 2) and attach that along with the system.log and jamf.log

6) Does this seem to be limited to just our QuickAdd.pkg at the moment, or is it happening with multiple packages?
I see as part of the case, there were questions about signing a QuickAdd and what was needed to make that work; is this a signed QuickAdd or are we still working with an unsigned one?

Just to verify: We’re creating the QuickAdd in Recon, saving it, then dragging it into Casper Admin, not running it through Composer first, correct?

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

@amanda.wulff I e-mailed you the requested information for you to review. Thank you!

For anyone else reading: This is currently limited to any QuickAdd packages being built by Recon.app v9.30. I do not build QuickAdd packages through Composer.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I've got to pass along a big negatory my friend. I'm seeing the same issue here... except it also seems to apply to the latest Silverlight.pkg installer. I'm quite happy to forward along anything you'd like in specific @amanda.wulff

1) AFP presently on both.
2) I'm completely rebuilding the DPs as we speak. I'll get back to you later. However, when this started happening everything was in sync. 3) Oddly, my situation is only occurring on a few computers. Several hundred can install the package without any validation issue.
4) I'll have to go digging for the logs later. It's an impromptu holiday and I can't easily track anyone down. 5) Result is 0 for me, sorry no logs attached at the moment. Happy to send later if you need.
6) I can verify that I have seen this with the QuickAdd packages (I have two) AND the latest silverlight.pkg. NEITHER had anything to do with Composer. The QuickAdds came directly form Recon and were dropped into CAdmin. The Silverlight.pkg was downloaded from the website directly and dropped into CAdmin. Unfortunately, since I'm rebuilding the DPs at this very moment I can't check to see if there are any others.

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

@Chris_Hafner][/url, what Amanda found for me was that there is in fact a bug present and the successful work around for my single distribution point environment was to use the "Migrate" feature. Even though I don't have multiple distribution points, using migrate alleviated my invalid and/or missing MD5 checksums. Once I migrated, all of my package verification errors went away and it's been mostly smooth sailing (with the exception of my Casper Imaging splash screen issue all over the place). If Casper Admin still shows the migrate option for you, I'd be curious to see if migrating alleviates your verification issues as well.

Edit: In re-reading your post you mention rebuilding your DPs, so I'm assuming you are already migrated. If that's the case I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I tried playing with that today actually... only because I had a free moment. Unfortunately I am a little scared because I clicked the button called "Resolve Blank Names with email Addresses." Unfortunately what I really wanted to see was a series of options listed for a single conflict. Unfortunately it seems to have lit off this process that I can't seem to stop. At the moment I'm just waiting to see if I screwed up royally or not. regardless, that's why I have DB backups! At least I chose the proper day to do so!

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

P.S. Thanks @cstout!

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

JAMF rocks our world again...fixed!

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10270#responseChild61058

--
https://donmontalvo.com