Network Home Directories and dock configuration

pearlin
New Contributor III

Has anyone had any success leveraging a custom dock for users logged in to network home directories? In our environment, our classroom computers (10.8.5) rely on user home directories supplied via AFP. The user logs in with their username and password and it load their home directory, which is located on our server. I have been unable to leverage a custom dock to these users. Grrrrrr...

Previously, I used to use Configuration Profiles through OS X Server (ML Server 10.8.5) with the "Dock Items" populated with "Applications/Firefox.app" and it would show the icon for the app in the dock (this stopped working with the 9.3 update...double Grrrrrr....). I tried moving to the JSS configuration profiles, but the JSS configuration profiles do not allow this behavior (it replaces the app icon with a folder icon that you have to click on and select "Open in Finder" to get the app to launch...so you have an entire dock populated with blue folder icons...triple Grrrrrr...). I have also tried using a policy to add/remove dock items, but even though it runs, it has no effect on the dock (well, it works about 1 out of every 10 times). I've tried it on login and logout, with neither really seeming to work. It may work once, but the next time the user logs in, they are back to the default dock configuration.

Does anyone have a trick to force /Volumes/~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist to accept it's subordination to my will? Banana sticker to the best solution.

0 REPLIES 0