IOS vpp apps not silently installing

mratty
New Contributor

hi

have setup the new way of distributing apps to iPads everything seems to be fine the app is assigned, you can see it in purchased apps but it doesn't install on the iPad assigned to the user,, I've had a look in the logs and this is what i get, hope someone knows feels like I'm missing something but have followed everything

thanks

michael

2014-04-16 21:28:27,266 [ERROR] [oolThread-0] [APNSQueueManager ] - Error creating MdmPushNotification, skipping push.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot Send Push Notification with Device Token of at com.jamfsoftware.jss.pushnotification.notificationtypes.JAMFPushNotification.<init>(JAMFPushNotification.java:20) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.pushnotification.notificationtypes.MdmPushNotification.<init>(MdmPushNotification.java:20) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.pushnotification.connection.APNSQueueManager.addMDMCapableDevices(APNSQueueManager.java:277) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.mobiledevicemanagement.UpdateMDMCommandQueue.updateQueue(UpdateMDMCommandQueue.java:342) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.mobiledevicemanagement.MDMCommandQueueMonitor.run(MDMCommandQueueMonitor.java:46) at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:304) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

3 REPLIES 3

mratty
New Contributor

just found this on apple site

Apps • Apps are assigned to the user account in Profile Manager • Apps become visible in the Apple ID's App Store account as available for install • If the device is set to autoinstall "purchased" apps, the apps for iPad will just appear • Apps can be "revoked" by the enterprise, returning the license to the available pool • Apps do not dissapear from devices

Managed Distro does not really fit education as depending on age your students may not be able to have an Apple ID, may not have email, and the devices may not be deployed in a one-to-one.

You are back to master image cloning through Configurator.

If this is the case then this setup is a waste of time as we use ipads in carts so they are a shared device, we need it to install the app with the apple id not logged all the time.

Can someone tell me if this is right or wrong

thanks

michael

Kaltsas
Contributor III

@mratty I just had an apple deployment presentation with our rep yesterday. The VPP 2.0 program is not designed for situations such as ipads on a cart. They recommend in that sort of scenario you still sync them with a configuration station.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Are you also creating an app assignment under Mobile Devices, scoping it to the device, and setting the distribution method to install automatically?

If so look at the inventory on the mobile device. It should give you more info under history and tell you why it failed to install.