Casper 9.3 -- Imaging Logs not showing up in JSS

russeller
Contributor III

Has anyone else seen this?
In my environment, I'm running JSS v9.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I noticed after successfully imaging a computer when I go into the JSS and check the imaging log, it says "No Casper Imaging Logs". All policy logs and management logs appear fine. I checked the freshly imaged machines /var/log/jamf.log and found a few entries that concerned me...

Mon Apr 21 12:31:46 NetBoot002 jamf[8359]: Creating .AppleSetupDone...
Mon Apr 21 12:32:41 CETECH00A9659L jamf[200]: 
There was an error.

**Connection failure: "The host jss.domain.com is not accessible."**

Mon Apr 21 12:32:43 CETECH00A9659L jamf[467]: 
There was an error.

**Connection failure: "The host jss.domain.com is not accessible."**

Mon Apr 21 12:32:43 CETECH00A9659L jamf[554]: Could not connect to the JSS. Looking for cached policies...
Mon Apr 21 12:32:51 CETEHC00A9659L jamf[1269]: Setting home page to 'http://www.[home page here].org' for Existing Users and User Templates
Mon Apr 21 12:32:54 CETEHC00A9659L jamf[1320]: Creating user [username here]...

So it appears that right after the NetBoot session ends and the machines reboots, it reports that it has several connection failures. The log continues on the first boot and successfully installs all packages and policies. Since the Mac is appearing to image fine, I didn't think much of it but I'm curious now to find out why it would be reporting connection failures and if this had anything to do with there being no imaging logs. Don't know if this is useful, but I'm using an AutoDMG, never-booted 10.9.2 base image.

Thanks,
-Steven.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

@ssrussell
Do you have "/usr/sbin/jamf flushPolicyHistory" command in a Post Image script?
I have seen this earlier versions that if you have "jamf flushPolicyHistory" and after Post Image script executed the Imaging log of the computer gets deleted on JSS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gokoudes
New Contributor III

I see those particular log entries when my target machine can't establish a connection to the JSS, usually because it doesn't have a network connection via Wifi or Ethernet. I've been trying to find ways to establish a Wifi connection earlier in the first boot stage of the imaging process. Otherwise, I might try it again with the target machine plugged into ethernet on your LAN and see if those host errors are persistent.

If anyone has tips on establishing Wifi earlier in the first boot stage of imaging, I'm all ears. Currently, I need to run a script with 'sleep' commands to give the machine enough time to enroll and run initial policies. However, those scripts always run after pkg and dmg installations, not before. Is there a (consistent) way to make that Wifi connection happen earlier in the process?

ctangora
Contributor III

We get those with Ethernet connections as well. I think that the machine isn't fully 'networked' until a few seconds in, as it attempts to re-connect in a minute or two and it works fine.

-c

russeller
Contributor III

@gokoudes][/url][/url @ctangora Thanks for confirming its not an issue with my environment.

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

@ssrussell
Do you have "/usr/sbin/jamf flushPolicyHistory" command in a Post Image script?
I have seen this earlier versions that if you have "jamf flushPolicyHistory" and after Post Image script executed the Imaging log of the computer gets deleted on JSS.

russeller
Contributor III

@Kumarasinghe][/url YES! I did. I brought it over from my imaging workflow on my JSSv8 server and had that as a after-image script. I since removed it (since it's not really needed) and everything appears to be running fine now. Thank you!