HTTPS Setup instructions

bjbechd
New Contributor

Does anyone have a well documented guide on how to setup HTTPS on the DP for the CasperShare, We have had so many problems with SMB and I really don't want to go back to AFP so I want to try HTTPS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

kwr33v35
New Contributor

Anyone have setup instructions for RedHat 6.5 or linux even?

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I would love to see instructions for OS X Server, too. I was able to sort it out eventually, but I was not able to lock down the files so that only the read-only account could access them, they were available to anyone who could get to a file URL (the file structure could not be accessed, just direct file links).

mthakur
Contributor

@alexjdale Did you ever figure out how to restrict HTTPS access to the Casper distribution point's files to, say, a casper admin or casper install account?
We have a significant number of packages with serialized licenses embedded within, and we can't have random people downloading them.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@mthakur You'll need to SSL enable the site in server.app.

Then you can limit access to a group.

mthakur
Contributor

@bentoms Yes, I've enabled SSL, and limited access to a group ... but get denied access each time I try to connect from a web browser with user credentials in the group. No idea why.

The access and error logs don't show any errors:

externalhostname.domain.org 123.45.67.89 - username [11/Mar/2016:17:13:31 -0500] "GET /Scripts/adobeCS6cleanup.sh HTTP/1.1" 401 448 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_5) AppleWebKit/601.4.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.3 Safari/601.4.4"

But in the web browser, the login panel re-appears after the request is denied:

The user name or password you entered for area “internalhostname.domain.org” on externalhostname.domain.org:443 was incorrect. Make sure you’re entering them correctly, and then try again.

If I grant everyone access, the https request is granted just fine. Limit access to a group, get the error above.

Scratching my head over this one...

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@mthakur Is it possible that you have the same account names on something like AD as well as local to the server?

Can you double check the passwords if that's the case & which ones you've added to the group in server.app & that they have access to the share?