JSS (Tomcat?) troubleshooting

alan_trewartha
New Contributor III

This morning I had an issue where the JSS wasn't responding - either as a web application or on the clients calling out for policies. I had this once before, and as it was a live issue effecting lots of users (no login script = badness happening) I just went to the JSS server and restarted Tomcat. That fixed it. I thought that would work as it it did when the same thing happened 3 weeks ago. Oddly it was at the same time of the week - Monday morning 8.30am ish.

Kicking myself now that I didn't take 1 minute just to take some screenshots of the exact failed responses.

The Tomcat logs are not very informative. Tomcat7-stderr shows a hole in the times logged A "jss_inventory" event at 8.37 and then at 9.39 the lines from me restarting things. Most of the other logs dated today show things from the restart.

Any advice on where I should be looking to see what's up?

I know the OFFICIAL answer to this is to first update the JSS - it's 9.2 and been that way since it was released in October, but as it's been OK all this time, and only in the last 3 weeks shown this behaviour, I wonder if something else is going on. The (windows 2008) server is healthy in most main ways (disk space, RAM, java version stable etc)

2 REPLIES 2

charliwest
Contributor II

@alan.trewartha do you mean what logs can you look at?

tomcat logs to a file called catalina.out, for me /var/log/apache-tomcat/ but depends on your set up, once you find that folder you will find a few logs there, although good luck decoding them ;)

alan_trewartha
New Contributor III

Thanks. yeah I looked at those in /program Files/jss/tomcat/logs (from memory) but they were as you say impenetrable in general, and the files named for today showed nothing before what looks like lines belonging to the restart