NetBoot Issues / RAMDisk with 10.9

jrippy
Contributor II

Aside from the issues with the kernelcache in 10.9, has anyone successfully gotten 10.9 set up to use a RAMDisk?
There was an article from the University of Utah on how to do this for 10.6. This worked even through 10.8 but I can not get it to work in 10.9. It just reboots the machine like there is a problem with the rc.netboot file. Seeing as how Apple continually revamps the internals of the OS, I'm wondering if it is still possible to set it to boot to a RAMDisk.

Here is the relevant article: http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/administration/setup_netboot_service_on_mac_os_x_10.6.x_client.x_client/setup_netboot_service_on_mac_os_x_10.6.x_client-diskless_netboot.html

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

I still use this method as of 10.9.2. I have found that backing up the original and copying and pasting the alterations in works best for me.

View solution in original post

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor
13 REPLIES 13

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

I still use this method as of 10.9.2. I have found that backing up the original and copying and pasting the alterations in works best for me.

jrippy
Contributor II

Thanks, I've tried that and I just can't seem to get it working.
Anyone else?

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Worked fine for me on 10.9.1 NetBoot set.
Try this;
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6443#responseChild33353

jrippy
Contributor II

@Kumarasinghe
Didn't know about the shadow file hack. Thanks!

@Kumarasinghe @Caitlin_M so far its 2-0 that it still works. So I guess I'm going back to the drawing board and see what I did wrong. Thanks for the input.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

FYI, my 10.9.3 NBI has been flaky, i can get through an asr and then sometimes have to reboot to get a package to install. sometimes halfway through installing packages it gets errors, and other times no errors. I grew the RAMDISK variable to 1 million yesterday and I did not see any more problems but did not do as much with netboot yesterday either. Just wondering if anybody else has seen that type of weirdness?

jrippy
Contributor II

@Kumarasinghe FYI, I tried to make the changes you linked to (change kextutil to kextload) but it seems this is the default as of 10.9.3. I haven't yet checked earlier versions of 10.9.

jrippy
Contributor II

@nessts taking your advice, I'm upping my new image to 1 million as well. Can't hurt right?
The only issue I see would be very old Macs that maybe don't have that much RAM.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

well in my limited thinking, this should be smaller than 1GB, I am going to guess that all computers that will boot 10.9 have at least this much memory.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

and since i could not stand my limited thinking i can now safely say its 488MB
(localhost) ~ 4 8:42am% diskutil erasevolume HFS+ 'RAM Disk' `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://1000000`
Started erase on disk3
Unmounting disk
Erasing
Initialized /dev/rdisk3 as a 488 MB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume
Mounting disk
Finished erase on disk3 RAM Disk

jrippy
Contributor II

@nessts Thanks! Yeah that shouldn't be a problem if we're expecting these machines to run Mavericks. Heck, I may up it to 2 million!

jrippy
Contributor II

Well, I created a new 10.9.3 Netboot set but I can't tell if it works because I'm running into kernelcache issues again! This time though, the scripts I've used before aren't working. Ugh.

wyip
Contributor

Not sure if this will help you with your kernelcache issues, but this works for me... I saw a post suggesting to copy the kernelcache from a 10.9 netinstall image into your netboot set. Here's the discussion: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/macenterprise/bqZuM5GnMD0/3ayqeNdPwdIJ

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi all,

If you're still having issues with this, please can you try AutoCasperNBI https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11356

I wrote it to help with issues like this.