10.9.3 NetBoot problems

bstrube
New Contributor

First I will give the specifics of what I am running.

Casper: 9.3
Server.app: 3.1.2
System Image Utility: System Image Utility 2 (version 10.9.3)

When I create a 10.9.3 NetBoot set on our 10.9.3 server, it fails once Casper Imaging starts. I get the "NilObjectException" error and can not get past this. I have tried replacing the rc.netboot file with a different one, because I read that worked in some instances. Not mine.. I get the same error.

I have tried it over HTTP and over NFS and it does not work either way. I know people had had problems with this in the past, but we are just starting to use Casper Imaging and are having a tough time getting it to work with our 10.9.3 servers.

I have tried the different knowledge base articles that are mentioned in the other threads, but nothing seems to work. Originally, a JAMF representative made a 10.9.1 NetBoot set for us and put it on our 10.7.5 server that we had at the time. This one works fine. When I move it to our 10.9.3 server, I get the "NilObjectException" error.

Not sure which way to turn any more. If anyone can help, our school district would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

7 REPLIES 7

tron_jones
Release Candidate Programs Tester

What configurations do you have set for the Netboot image on the server. Is the netboot set to be "Diskless"?

bstrube
New Contributor

Yes, I have it set to be "Diskless".

bstrube
New Contributor

OK I tried something different. I took my NetBoot set I created with System Image Utility on my 10.9.3 server and copied it over to my 10.7.5 server. I changed the index of the NetBoot set.

I went to NetBoot a computer and chose the 10.9.3 NetBoot set from the 10.7.5 server and it worked! It went through Casper Imaging without any problems or errors. Now if I can only figure out why it will not work on my 10.9.3 server. Any ideas??

powellbc
Contributor II

FWIW, 10.9 server has been a disaster for us. On a regular basis, our netboot server will stop booting clients, and our 10.9 SW update server regularly loses connections to the internet, which requires a visit to the data center and a reboot. We did not see these issues with earlier OS/server releases.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

I have had a similar experience as powellbc.

Ever since upgrading to 10.9 server all sorts of buggy behavior has occurred. I am also seeing SMB shares just randomly drop. A restart of the SMB service is required to get them back.

As for netboot....at 10.8.5 I could netboot all the Mac in my district. 10.5-10.9.

After upgrading to 10.9, only the Macs that have been released since 10.7 can netboot. I had to resurrect an old 10.6.8 Xserve to get anything older than 10.7 to netboot.

jguz
New Contributor III

Make sure your AFP permissions are set correctly for the server.

bstrube
New Contributor

OK, JAMF finally figured why I could not NetBoot my one 10.9.3 server. It appears that the nebootXXX users were not allowed access. So I selected all of the netbootXXX users and did Edit User and checked File Sharing. Now I can image with the 10.9.3 server to the JSS. Thanks JAMF.

If I try using the images on the JDS I get the error "There is a problem connecting to the server..." I tried installing the JSS Built-in CA on the computer that I created the NetBoot image from and re-created the NetBoot set per JAMF. Still not able to NetBoot to the JDS. I wonder if my File Sharing is set up correctly for the CasperShare share point. Any pointers on this?