Can Macs be enrolled into 2 Management Systems

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to enroll Macs into Casper and another management system, like AirWatch? There are services/features our school likes in AirWatch. They are hoping to combine both.

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

Depends on exactly what you mean. Certainly you could use Casper to install software and do inventory reporting, etc, while also using the MDM functionality of AirWatch, allowing AirWatch to manage profiles and settings, do remote locks/wipes, etc.

You could not, however, enroll one Mac into Casper's MDM and AirWatch's MDM at the same time.

-Greg

View solution in original post

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
Casper does more than MDM, though. You could enroll a Mac in AirWatch MDM, but still use Casper's other non-MDM-based features.

Exactly what @gregneagle said here. One MDM per device (true for OS X and iOS devices) because Apple's MDM framework doesn't allow for multiple enrollments, but if you keep MDM functionality off on your JSS and use it for other stuff like Policies, Self Service, possibly MCX (be careful not to overlap Managed Preferences with Config Profiles trying to do the same or different thing. Odd results occur), scripts, EAs - all the good stuff Casper allows for, but not MDM if you choose to go with another product for that, that's completely possible and I'd even say you wouldn't be alone with that kind of setup.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

Depends on exactly what you mean. Certainly you could use Casper to install software and do inventory reporting, etc, while also using the MDM functionality of AirWatch, allowing AirWatch to manage profiles and settings, do remote locks/wipes, etc.

You could not, however, enroll one Mac into Casper's MDM and AirWatch's MDM at the same time.

-Greg

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Greg. How can you use AirWatch's MDM functionality if you can't enroll it (it'd be in Casper already)?

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

I thought I answered that. Either you enroll the Mac into the AirWatch MDM or into the Casper MDM. If you decide to use Casper's MDM for a specific Mac, then you can't use AirWatch for that Mac.

Casper does more than MDM, though. You could enroll a Mac in AirWatch MDM, but still use Casper's other non-MDM-based features.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Exactly what @gregneagle said here. One MDM per device (true for OS X and iOS devices) because Apple's MDM framework doesn't allow for multiple enrollments, but if you keep MDM functionality off on your JSS and use it for other stuff like Policies, Self Service, possibly MCX (be careful not to overlap Managed Preferences with Config Profiles trying to do the same or different thing. Odd results occur), scripts, EAs - all the good stuff Casper allows for, but not MDM if you choose to go with another product for that, that's completely possible and I'd even say you wouldn't be alone with that kind of setup.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

What are the features of AirWatch that you're missing in Casper?

I'm an admin of both, so might be able to advise where stuff lies in Casper.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

That'd be great bentoms.

We are using Casper right now for our Macs. We piloted our iPads too. But they wanted more features.

My supervisor liked the secure content locker feature in AirWatch for our 1:1 iPad enrollment. They liked how students and teachers can share, change, and collaborate data.

We are also going to 1:1 MacBook Airs. So the content locker portion on the computer side is something they like. I'm not strong on the AirWatch side. But if we can keep using Casper to manage those Macs, but still use the content locker that'd be great.

Thanks for all comments and thoughts!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Secure Content Locker can be deployed without MDM.

It's part of what AirWatch call "Mobile Content Management".

They outline that it's possible at the following document: http://www.air-watch.com/downloads/brochures/AirWatch_brochure_mobile_content_management.pdf

You'll need to change some settings on the console to allow it to be deployed to non-AirWatch enrolled devices.

But have a look on Ask portal, they should detail how there.. Of if not ask on the Ask forum.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

That's awesome, thanks Bentoms!

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

So how do you get the "Secure Content Locker Sync™" for the Mac desktops if you don't enroll them? I don't see the app. in the App Store.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

An aside; I have great hope for the future of iCloud after WWDC. *Crosses fingers* That said, I would be very interested to hear about your experience running these together.