Best practice for migrating 10.8 Wiki to 10.9?

rseide
Contributor

We have a Xserve running 10.8.5 Server with a wiki and we wan't to migrate it to a newer Xserve running 10.9 Server.

In my google searches, this does not seem easy or there does not seem a clean way to do this. Has anyone successfully done this before?

The 10.9 Server we have not is not running anything at all and in fact, 10.9 was freshly installed on it. I was thinking of wiping the drive on this server and cloning it from the 10.8 server and then upgrading to 10.9. Do you all think this would be the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

pblake
Contributor III

If you are unable to find a procedure to migrate, this sounds like a good plan. Just make sure when you clone it, you fix all the by host files, IP address, and DNS names. You don't want them both coping up as the same server.

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

@reide

In the past what we did was:

1) Took a time machine backup of our 10.8 Wiki Server
2) Did a clean 10.9 install on our new server
3) Restored the TM back up to the new box
4) Installed Server on the new box
5) Turned the old server off (and left "cold" for a while until the new server was fully accepted and baked in)
6) Created a DNS alias pointing to the new server
7) Flush DNS on the new box
8) Turned Wiki Service on, on the new server

Granted I don't know if this is best practice but is the way we accomplished this. This also assumes your current wiki is in good health and not having any issues.

plawrence
Contributor II

@ShaunM9483

What exactly did you restore from the time machine backup? Everything that was on the 10.8 drive? or just certain wiki components?

Looks like the 'wikiadmin' command in Mavericks no longer has the export/import options either.

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

@plawrence][/url

Our OS is a little bit non-standard. we use a data drive on our servers to host our user profiles so the only thing that resides on the main hard drive is the OS and Apps.

That said since the WikiAdmin command looks to be removed from 10.9 (as you mentioned.) Yes, we had to do a full TM backup and then restored it to our new box running a clean 10.9 install. Which is why the initial health of the wiki server prior to doing anything is important in the process I laid out.

If there are any issues with your OS or system in general this process probably will carry those issues over too.

I hope that clarifies and helps a little bit

Shaun