JSS Dashboard slow loading

DeployAdam
New Contributor III

Since a few weeks when switching to the JSS Dashboard it takes a significant time for the dashboard to load. It is rather annoying if you'd like to check something fast and switch back and forth between the different JSS screens. Does this sound familiar? And most of all, is there something I can do to speed up the dashboard loading?

11 REPLIES 11

charliwest
Contributor II

What platform are you running it on? I would first think about looking through the logs, for JSS and tomcat, then if you don't see anything give the service a kick (the old turn it off and on again). You might also want to look into doing some maintenance on your mysql in case that is the root of the issue, something like ```
mysqlcheck -u root -p --auto-repair --check --optimize jamfsoftware
``` where jamfsoftware is the name of your db.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Are you culling your policy logs after a certain amount of time or keeping everything since the beginning of time?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I've found that this can be a great opportunity to go through things with your account rep/support personnel. The dashboard should be fairly quick to load but tends to be a bellweather for your MySQL DBs health. There are many things you can do, but it's nice to go through that with a guiding hand until you're pretty solid at it.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@DeployAdam

It may be worth it to look through this thread on slow JSS load times and get in touch with your Technical Account Manager to go through some of the things mentioned there.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

DeployAdam
New Contributor III

Ok, I have contacted our account manager and in the mean time I went further in testing what causes the slow loading of the dashboard.

What I did was disabling the "show in dashboard" option policy by policy. We have an ongoing policy which is updating the inventory for all computers. When removing that policy from the dashboard the dashboard loads as expected.

So I guess maybe when enabling the show "ongoing" policies in the dashboard the problem occurs.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I have a few ongoing policies that show in Dashboard, however because they are ongoing and scoped to a smart group that diminishes as the policy runs, the pie chart produced in the dashboard really is of little use. No delay here though.

bulldog
New Contributor II

I tried the above terminal command and got the following:
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect

charliwest
Contributor II

@bulldog you will need to use the jss db user then I guess, or any user you have that has access to that particular db in mysql.

bulldog
New Contributor II

Thanks. I actually was just typing in the wrong password :/
I ran the check but that didn't fix the issue. What's odd is that if I log in to the JSS as soon as the database comes online, i can navigate around for a few minutes, and then for some reason it will suddenly lock up. I restart mySQL and can get right in but after a few minutes the same thing happens.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@bulldog

The behavior you're describing would generally not be related to the dashboard, even though that may be where you're seeing the initial symptoms.

What you're seeing, the having to restart the MySQL process every couple of minutes, typically means that there is a larger underlying problem with your database that needs to be addressed; if you haven't already, please open up a case with your Technical Account Manager and send them a full JSS Summary so they can check for any obvious issues, such as abnormally large table sizes, workflows that may be causing issues, and see whether any of your Tomcat or MySQL settings need changing.

You can get in touch with your Technical Account Manager by either giving them a call, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com (it will route directly to their case queue), or by using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

bulldog
New Contributor II

Ok thanks. I'll do that.