Composer 9.31 Error Converting to Source Failed - Command failed with error code (1): '/usr/sbin/installer' (null)

elsmith
Contributor II

We use VMs to build our packages and do our installation testing because they’re easy to roll back and all that. An unavoidable side effect, though, is that I then lose the packages that I had in Composer under the SOURCES caption on the left. At first I thought this wasn’t a huge deal since I can simply drag the package back in to Composer and do a “Convert to Source” on it, right? Wrong.

Every time I do this, even with a package that I JUST MADE IN COMPOSER, I get the following two error messages:

Converting to source failed
Command failed with error code (1): '/usr/sbin/ installer' (null)

and Command failed with error code (1): '/usr/sbin/installer'

Clicking OK on both boxes takes me back to the Composer window, and I’m no closer to being able to modify or view the package than I was before I started.

My question is this – is there a way to save the “guts” of the package as with programs like Iceburg or Packages, or do I just need to have a VM that I never change for all my Composer work? I'd like to be able to add/change one little thing without having to re-create the entire package from scratch.

A few more details:
- This happens in a VM running 10.8.5 as well as a VM running 10.9.4
- I am logging in with a local admin user account
- The VMs are on the network, but not joined to our domain at all (and removing network access makes no difference)
- We're currently using Casper 9.31, but also had this problem back in 8.7 (with the occasional signed package)
- None of these packages is signed

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations/suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@elsmith

This is the behavior we see with D-006344, which is listed as fixed in 9.32, however, I’ve seen it even in 9.32 a couple of times, and have been talking to development and QA about it to see if we can get it looked at again.

Development’s finding was that it usually has to do with the pkg itself, but I’ve seen it happen even with our own QuickAdd.pkg files which makes me think there’s something else going on.

It may be worth updating to 9.32, however, since you’re on 9.31 which means it is possible that you’re hitting the fixed in 9.32 defect. If you’re still seeing the issue after updating the JSS and applications to 9.32, please open a case with your Technical Account Manager so we can get it tracked and forward the information on to development.

If that doesn’t do it, the 8.62 version of Composer seems to work just fine; it can be downloaded from My Assets under Previous Releases.

Since Composer doesn’t ever contact the JSS directly, the version doesn’t really matter and we can safely use Composer 8.62 with a 9.x JSS.

On a related note, we found, somewhat by accident, that using 8.62 Composer to make Base OS packages seems to get around most of the issues with Macbook Airs being finicky about which hardware platform the base OS was made on. That requires a little more testing on our end, but I did open up a defect for it so it can at least be tracked. That defect number, for those interested, is D-007279.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@elsmith

This is the behavior we see with D-006344, which is listed as fixed in 9.32, however, I’ve seen it even in 9.32 a couple of times, and have been talking to development and QA about it to see if we can get it looked at again.

Development’s finding was that it usually has to do with the pkg itself, but I’ve seen it happen even with our own QuickAdd.pkg files which makes me think there’s something else going on.

It may be worth updating to 9.32, however, since you’re on 9.31 which means it is possible that you’re hitting the fixed in 9.32 defect. If you’re still seeing the issue after updating the JSS and applications to 9.32, please open a case with your Technical Account Manager so we can get it tracked and forward the information on to development.

If that doesn’t do it, the 8.62 version of Composer seems to work just fine; it can be downloaded from My Assets under Previous Releases.

Since Composer doesn’t ever contact the JSS directly, the version doesn’t really matter and we can safely use Composer 8.62 with a 9.x JSS.

On a related note, we found, somewhat by accident, that using 8.62 Composer to make Base OS packages seems to get around most of the issues with Macbook Airs being finicky about which hardware platform the base OS was made on. That requires a little more testing on our end, but I did open up a defect for it so it can at least be tracked. That defect number, for those interested, is D-007279.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

elsmith
Contributor II

Thank you! I will try 8.62 - we'll be going to 9.32 soon, and I will also be sure to let our Acct Manager know if it's not working after that!

ktappe
New Contributor III

Unfortunately I'm seeing the same behavior in 9.63.

elsmith
Contributor II

9.65 seems to work but I still keep a copy of 8.62 on my machine now.