AutoCasperNBI - open beta

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester
Update: AutoCaspeNBI has been released, for more information see: https://macmule.com/autocaspernbi/

Hi All,

Over the past couple of months I've been working on an app that with streamline NetBoot creation for use with Casper Imaging (as well as creation of Read-Only DMGs to restore to USB sticks.. if that's your thing).

The basic idea is that you start with an clean never booted OS.dmg either from AutoDMG https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG, Casper Admin http://macmule.com/2014/03/06/how-to-create-an-never-booted-os-dmg-using-casper-admin/ or a Composer captured OS.dmg from a never booted Mac (as in with forked builds).

Then add a copy of Casper Imaging, from there you can click build or amend the options on the first window or click the options button for more.

All the options should have popovers that explain their functions in a bit more detail. Most of the options set will be written to a plist (~/Library/Preferences/com.macmule.AutoCasperNBI.plist) will allows for AutoCasperNBI to be re-run when needed with the settings you haves used before.

external image link

You should see some blanks in the GUI & parts i've not added yet (due to the fact that I'm not sure how yet). These should be added at some point.

Then there will be a full 1.0 release & include:

• Calculate space needed & alert if we do not have enough
  • Enable the "Additionals" tab. This will allow you to install pkgs to customise the .nbi further as well as additional JSS certs
  • Add some sort of sparkle updater
  • Add .jamfTarget creation
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms

Hi All,

Thanks for the testing & thanks again to those whom attended my talk @ JNUC.

Slides & Links can be found at the following: https://macmule.com/2014/10/25/jnuc-2014-autocaspernbi-and-the-casper-netinstall-creator-session-sli...

View solution in original post

290 REPLIES 290

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the awesome work @bentoms I'll definitely give AutoCasperNBI a whirl!

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

mega

lashomb
Contributor II

A 6000+ line Applescript... wow. That's a lot of work!

rtrouton

@bentoms,

I gave the build process a try in a 10.7.5 VM. The build process completed successfully, but the resulting NetBoot set was not able to successfully NetBoot my 10.7.5 test VM.

I've uploaded the requested log and plist file via the MacMule contact page.

bentoms

Thanks @rtrouton,

I'm going to try & create a 10.7 NBI via SIU on a 10.7 mac & will check what's different.

One thing, could be that the kernelcache file needs to be copied to a second location as shown: http://bennettp123.com/2013/05/31/netbooting-macs-without-bsdp

So, i386/kernelcache & i386/x86_64/kernelcache.

franton
Valued Contributor III

We ended up using the 0.9 version output in production. Yes, it was good enough for that.

elliotjordan
Contributor III

Great idea for an app. This shows a lot of potential. Thank you!

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Great idea @bentoms. Casper NetInstall Image Creator is no go for us, due to lack of compatibility with SMB DPs, so this looks like the next best thing. Appreciate the effort put in here. So many great tools coming out the community of late. Exciting times!

chris_kemp
Contributor III

This looks very cool, I'll give it a whirl shortly. :)

Two things I would like to see: disable sleeping of machine, disks, display and enabling ARD access.

bentoms

@chris.kemp.. There are options to set ARD & VNC on the NBI already (under the options window).

I've used Apple's Energy Saver settings (these are the same that overwrite would you'd when creating an NBI via System Image Utility).

Give it a whirl.. There will be another version in a few days will "full" 10.7 support too.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Good to know, thanks @bentoms

bentoms

0.11 has been posted, with creating of 10.7 NBI's & works on 10.7.x.

So with AutoCasperNBI you can create 10.7+ NBI's on 10.7+.. (yep, 10.7 can create 10.9.x nbi's for example).

I'd love some more feedback on this as i've received little, so please give it a go!

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

I tried AutoCasperNBI out and it worked great. I made a very basic build with an AutoDMG 10.9.4 dmg and Casper Suite 8.73. I successfully booted a Macbook Air from a NetSUS on Ubuntu 12 Server running in VMware Fusion. I'll definitely be trying more of the options in the future, but it worked like a champ on the first try. Thanks @bentoms!

bentoms

@Josh.Smith, awesome! glad to hear it!

jescala
Contributor II

@bentoms: You, sir, are my hero! Thank you so much for putting this together! Works great! And now for the obligatory feature request. Can we run it with Simple Finder? That's what I do with my NetBoot images. I would also like to make the inclusion of a Safari icon optional if possible.

THANK YOU!!!!

bentoms

Simple finder eh?

Got a command to set that?

Glad you've found it useful so far!

bentoms

Ah, http://www.defaults-write.com/activate-os-x-finder-in-simple-mode/#.U-Pzpom9LCQ

Will test & add as an option for next release.

jescala
Contributor II

@bentoms: Yes, I do believe that's how I did it. I'm sure some folks will find it beneficial. Thanks again!

bentoms

Cool.

That should be easy enough.

I've also been asked to add an option to set the language, so will look @ that too.

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Excellent work @bentoms.
Is NTP configuration included?

bentoms

TomH
New Contributor III

Awesome work!

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Hey @bentoms - I gave this a try yesterday, but ran into two snags: First, trying to enable ARD did not work. When I ticked the box & entered the credentials, the Close button did nothing & the Options window stayed open. I had to un-check it to proceed.

Second, for some reason the JSS URL didn't take. The netboot worked fine, but I had to enter the URL and credentials for imaging. (Is it trying to use the credentials I first ran the app with? If so, I'd like to be able to add those separately.)

Sent the files to you as requested above. :)

bentoms

@chris.kemp.. Thank you for testing & coming sending the files.

If you relaunch the app & create another NBI.

Is the URL then set?

I'm looking at the ARD issue now.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Testing again, I'll let you know if that works.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

hmm - just tested again, same base image & Casper Imaging as yesterday, but it's not launching at all now & I'm getting the spinning beach ball...

chris_kemp
Contributor III

OK, it launched this time - but still no JSS address. :(

Also, how does it get the login credentials in place, or account for an untrusted cert?

chris_kemp
Contributor III

OK - - 3rd time's the charm, it may be my fault here...

I didn't notice, but it's possible that I had not set the JSS URL correctly in the window. After reading the log, not seeing anything about the URL, and then checking out the .scpt I saw the logic about setting the icon, and I noticed that there was a red !. I put the full, correct URL & saw the checkmark - rebuilt a new .nbi, and this one worked as expected. :)

So if that was my bad...you have my apologies.

bentoms

@chris.kemp.. No worries. I did see something & I think I've fixed it. So thanks.

Still looking at the ARD issue.

Oh & it won't cache your login details.. If you wanted that.. You could use autorun data on the JSS.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Finally coming up for air, got a chance to look at this and, well...WOW!!!! Kudos to you sir, this is friggin' awesome!!! Thanks for making a tool that makes it easier to get work done and hides the complexity, um, like the iPhone. :)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Zvordauk
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Running this in a lab. Having an issue with the system not rebooting at the end of the imagine process. Either hangs on "Can't Quit Casper Imaging" or quits and hangs on grey screen.

Building a new version without ARD enabled to see if that helps (read it somewhere!)

bentoms

@Zvordauk, what version of Casper Imaging?

9.32 had some issues quitting.

Also, is this NetBoot being hosted on OSX server? If so, maybe try stopping the service & emptying the /NetBootClients/ folder then restarting.

Lastly, did you try with or without the modified rc.netboot?

I did see this issue with Imaging 9.32, but no longer do.. It's an odd one to track down tbh.

smith_kyle
New Contributor III

I also saw the issue that @Zvordauk with it hanging at the gray screen after imaging (JSS and Casper Imaging 9.4). I waited a while and restarted manually and the rest of the imaging process seemed to go fine after that.

I also imaged a couple other machines with it, and all three got a message along the lines of connection timed out or was lost to the JSS. Weird part was that they all seemed to have gotten through downloading the packages for first boot and setting up the firstboot script. I OK'd the error and rebooted them, and they all seemed to reboot and finish imaging fine.

Really nice to have a tool that doesn't give me that nilobjectexception! Many thanks!

Kyle

bentoms

@smith.kyle & @Zvordauk, can you send me the logs & plists as mentioned in the 1st post?

I'm trying to see an commonality for this issue.

@smith.kyle.. Is this an OSX Server hosing NetBoot?

smith_kyle
New Contributor III

@bentoms Sent you the logs. And yes, it's an OSX server hosting the netboot images.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Hi Ben,

I have a request ... and don't worry, it's not an extra feature or anything. Any chance in the future we can get an autopkg recipe for this? (Haven't checked if there's one already. Not in my current repo list).

ericbenfer
Contributor III

Outstanding!

bentoms

Updated to 0.12.. notes below.. same link for DMG as top post.

— Added OS & Input Language selection (@mintzd01)
— Added simple Finder selection (@jescala & @franton)
— Added pre-checks to correctly write to plist when needed. (@chris.kemp)
— Corrected behaviour when progress window showing so it doesn’t disappear. (@nick.anderson)
— Added 10.10 NBI creation support (Full 10.10 support to come)
— Changed root users dock, adding Casper Imaging to it.
— Changed AutoCasperNBI LaunchDaemon to launch once, to try & resolve issues with hanging on restart (@smith.kyle & @Zvordauk).

Zvordauk
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Thanks. Will test when I get back to base next week. Keep up the great work!!!