Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is a knowledgeable community of Apple-focused admins and Jamf users. Join us in person at the ninth annual Jamf Nation User Conference (JNUC) this November for three days of learning, laughter and IT love.

AutoCasperNBI - open beta

Update: AutoCaspeNBI has been released, for more information see: https://macmule.com/autocaspernbi/

Hi All,

Over the past couple of months I've been working on an app that with streamline NetBoot creation for use with Casper Imaging (as well as creation of Read-Only DMGs to restore to USB sticks.. if that's your thing).

The basic idea is that you start with an clean never booted OS.dmg either from AutoDMG https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG, Casper Admin http://macmule.com/2014/03/06/how-to-create-an-never-booted-os-dmg-using-casper-admin/ or a Composer captured OS.dmg from a never booted Mac (as in with forked builds).

Then add a copy of Casper Imaging, from there you can click build or amend the options on the first window or click the options button for more.

All the options should have popovers that explain their functions in a bit more detail. Most of the options set will be written to a plist (~/Library/Preferences/com.macmule.AutoCasperNBI.plist) will allows for AutoCasperNBI to be re-run when needed with the settings you haves used before.

external image link

You should see some blanks in the GUI & parts i've not added yet (due to the fact that I'm not sure how yet). These should be added at some point.

Then there will be a full 1.0 release & include:

• Calculate space needed & alert if we do not have enough
  • Enable the "Additionals" tab. This will allow you to install pkgs to customise the .nbi further as well as additional JSS certs
  • Add some sort of sparkle updater
  • Add .jamfTarget creation
Like Comment
Order by:
SOLVED Posted: by bmak

Thanks for the awesome work @bentoms I'll definitely give AutoCasperNBI a whirl!

SOLVED Posted: by calumhunter

mega

SOLVED Posted: by lashomb

A 6000+ line Applescript... wow. That's a lot of work!

SOLVED Posted: by rtrouton

@bentoms,

I gave the build process a try in a 10.7.5 VM. The build process completed successfully, but the resulting NetBoot set was not able to successfully NetBoot my 10.7.5 test VM.

I've uploaded the requested log and plist file via the MacMule contact page.

SOLVED Posted: by bentoms

Thanks @rtrouton,

I'm going to try & create a 10.7 NBI via SIU on a 10.7 mac & will check what's different.

One thing, could be that the kernelcache file needs to be copied to a second location as shown: http://bennettp123.com/2013/05/31/netbooting-macs-without-bsdp

So, i386/kernelcache & i386/x86_64/kernelcache.

SOLVED Posted: by franton

We ended up using the 0.9 version output in production. Yes, it was good enough for that.

SOLVED Posted: by elliotjordan

Great idea for an app. This shows a lot of potential. Thank you!

SOLVED Posted: by clifhirtle

Great idea @bentoms. Casper NetInstall Image Creator is no go for us, due to lack of compatibility with SMB DPs, so this looks like the next best thing. Appreciate the effort put in here. So many great tools coming out the community of late. Exciting times!

SOLVED Posted: by chris.kemp

This looks very cool, I'll give it a whirl shortly. :)

Two things I would like to see: disable sleeping of machine, disks, display and enabling ARD access.

@chris.kemp.. There are options to set ARD & VNC on the NBI already (under the options window).

I've used Apple's Energy Saver settings (these are the same that overwrite would you'd when creating an NBI via System Image Utility).

Give it a whirl.. There will be another version in a few days will "full" 10.7 support too.

Good to know, thanks @bentoms

0.11 has been posted, with creating of 10.7 NBI's & works on 10.7.x.

So with AutoCasperNBI you can create 10.7+ NBI's on 10.7+.. (yep, 10.7 can create 10.9.x nbi's for example).

I'd love some more feedback on this as i've received little, so please give it a go!

SOLVED Posted: by Josh.Smith

I tried AutoCasperNBI out and it worked great. I made a very basic build with an AutoDMG 10.9.4 dmg and Casper Suite 8.73. I successfully booted a Macbook Air from a NetSUS on Ubuntu 12 Server running in VMware Fusion. I'll definitely be trying more of the options in the future, but it worked like a champ on the first try. Thanks @bentoms!

@Josh.Smith, awesome! glad to hear it!

SOLVED Posted: by jescala

@bentoms: You, sir, are my hero! Thank you so much for putting this together! Works great! And now for the obligatory feature request. Can we run it with Simple Finder? That's what I do with my NetBoot images. I would also like to make the inclusion of a Safari icon optional if possible.

THANK YOU!!!!

Simple finder eh?

Got a command to set that?

Glad you've found it useful so far!

@bentoms: Yes, I do believe that's how I did it. I'm sure some folks will find it beneficial. Thanks again!

Cool.

That should be easy enough.

I've also been asked to add an option to set the language, so will look @ that too.

SOLVED Posted: by Kumarasinghe

Excellent work @bentoms.
Is NTP configuration included?

SOLVED Posted: by TomH

Awesome work!

Hey @bentoms \- I gave this a try yesterday, but ran into two snags: First, trying to enable ARD did not work. When I ticked the box & entered the credentials, the Close button did nothing & the Options window stayed open. I had to un-check it to proceed.

Second, for some reason the JSS URL didn't take. The netboot worked fine, but I had to enter the URL and credentials for imaging. (Is it trying to use the credentials I first ran the app with? If so, I'd like to be able to add those separately.)

Sent the files to you as requested above. :)

@chris.kemp.. Thank you for testing & coming sending the files.

If you relaunch the app & create another NBI.

Is the URL then set?

I'm looking at the ARD issue now.

Testing again, I'll let you know if that works.

hmm \- just tested again, same base image & Casper Imaging as yesterday, but it's not launching at all now & I'm getting the spinning beach ball...

OK, it launched this time \- but still no JSS address. :(

Also, how does it get the login credentials in place, or account for an untrusted cert?

OK \- \- 3rd time's the charm, it may be my fault here...

I didn't notice, but it's possible that I had not set the JSS URL correctly in the window. After reading the log, not seeing anything about the URL, and then checking out the .scpt I saw the logic about setting the icon, and I noticed that there was a red !. I put the full, correct URL & saw the checkmark \- rebuilt a new .nbi, and this one worked as expected. :)

So if that was my bad...you have my apologies.

@chris.kemp.. No worries. I did see something & I think I've fixed it. So thanks.

Still looking at the ARD issue.

Oh & it won't cache your login details.. If you wanted that.. You could use autorun data on the JSS.

SOLVED Posted: by donmontalvo

Finally coming up for air, got a chance to look at this and, well...WOW!!!! Kudos to you sir, this is friggin' awesome!!! Thanks for making a tool that makes it easier to get work done and hides the complexity, um, like the iPhone. :)

SOLVED Posted: by Zvordauk

Running this in a lab. Having an issue with the system not rebooting at the end of the imagine process. Either hangs on "Can't Quit Casper Imaging" or quits and hangs on grey screen.

Building a new version without ARD enabled to see if that helps (read it somewhere!)

@Zvordauk, what version of Casper Imaging?

9.32 had some issues quitting.

Also, is this NetBoot being hosted on OSX server? If so, maybe try stopping the service & emptying the /NetBootClients/ folder then restarting.

Lastly, did you try with or without the modified rc.netboot?

I did see this issue with Imaging 9.32, but no longer do.. It's an odd one to track down tbh.

SOLVED Posted: by smith.kyle

I also saw the issue that @Zvordauk with it hanging at the gray screen after imaging (JSS and Casper Imaging 9.4). I waited a while and restarted manually and the rest of the imaging process seemed to go fine after that.

I also imaged a couple other machines with it, and all three got a message along the lines of connection timed out or was lost to the JSS. Weird part was that they all seemed to have gotten through downloading the packages for first boot and setting up the firstboot script. I OK'd the error and rebooted them, and they all seemed to reboot and finish imaging fine.

Really nice to have a tool that doesn't give me that nilobjectexception! Many thanks!

Kyle

@smith.kyle & @Zvordauk, can you send me the logs & plists as mentioned in the 1st post?

I'm trying to see an commonality for this issue.

@smith.kyle.. Is this an OSX Server hosing NetBoot?

@bentoms Sent you the logs. And yes, it's an OSX server hosting the netboot images.

Hi Ben,

I have a request ... and don't worry, it's not an extra feature or anything. Any chance in the future we can get an autopkg recipe for this? (Haven't checked if there's one already. Not in my current repo list).

SOLVED Posted: by ericbenfer

Outstanding!

Updated to 0.12.. notes below.. same link for DMG as top post.

— Added OS & Input Language selection (@mintzd01)
— Added simple Finder selection (@jescala & @franton)
— Added pre-checks to correctly write to plist when needed. (@chris.kemp)
— Corrected behaviour when progress window showing so it doesn’t disappear. (@nick.anderson)
— Added 10.10 NBI creation support (Full 10.10 support to come)
— Changed root users dock, adding Casper Imaging to it.
— Changed AutoCasperNBI LaunchDaemon to launch once, to try & resolve issues with hanging on restart (@smith.kyle & @Zvordauk).

SOLVED Posted: by Zvordauk

Thanks. Will test when I get back to base next week. Keep up the great work!!!

Great! Thanks! I'll test it in the lab the next chance I get.

SOLVED Posted: by MikeF

Great Work The old version worked great. I'll test this one asap. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

I tested your simple finder functionality. While it does hide any drive icons, it also stops launch pad showing any apps as well. I would suggest using some managed preferences to hide on screen drive icons instead of simple finder mode.

@franton yep. It seems to be a odd quirk of enabling simple finder.

I suppose I could remove LaunchPad from the dock?

Or swap the dock.plist if simple finder enabled.

@bentoms We use Simple Finder and launch Casper Imaging at login. I then have a folder in a hidden dock with the apps you include in LaunchPad. So you can do that, or if you prefer, hide items from the desktop as @franton suggests. My real concern is that I don't want to have a NetBoot image that makes it to easy to goof around. I especially don't want people to run Safari. So it would be nice if you can somehow hide, block, or remove unnecessary apps like that. It is your tool, so I leave it up to you. I hate to be picky when you've been so generous! Thanks!!

SOLVED Posted: by wilesd

Firstly \- Awesome app idea \- Love it.

Question \- How big of an image does this spit out? Does this delete all the rubbish (apps etc) not required for netboot to get the size down as far as possible?

The images i've been getting are about the 5Gb size. Perfectly acceptable for my own use case.

@bentoms Sorry Ben. Some want their images locked down, some (like me) need access to a few utilities in case of emergencies.

@franton I agree, I also use the netboot image for other troubleshooting on occasion.

@bentoms looking forward to testing the new version \- thanks again for this great tool!

Next commit will have a dock with just the Finder, Casper Imaging & Trash.

Once I get the additional installable pkg's option working (as shown under the advanced tab in the options window).. You can customise the dock as you wish.

@sovereign, as @franton mentioned.. I've added some reduction.. But haven't gone too mad. When NetBooting the client only pulls what it needs, so size is only really a factor when replicating NBI's or using USB sticks.

@bentoms I've been trying to setup a netboot image for 10.7 for my machines that only support that os, but no matter what image I pull, whether it's from an image I took with disk utility (tried both compressed and uncompressed), or AutoDMG, it always gives me "Cannot read OS Version." Any ideas? (10.7 is reported, right?)

Actually, just re-read some of this thread \- do I need to run AutoCasperNBI on 10.7 in order to create the 10.7 NBI? I've been running AutoCasperNBI on 10.9 and trying to use a create one with a 10.7 image. Same as needing to run SIU on 10.7 to make a 10.7 image?

Thanks!

@smith.kyle, yep 10.7 \- 10.10 NBI creation is supported.

Currently only supports being run on 10.7-10.9.

Is this being run on 10.10?

To get the OS version, AutoCasperNBI is is reading it from the SystemVersion.plist on /System/Library/CoreServices/

@smith.kyle, you do not need to be on the same OS version. :)

@smith.kyle, was this with 0.11 or 0.12 btw?

& was the OS.dmg already mounted?

Thanks! It was on 10.9 that I was trying to create the 10.7 nib with 0.12. I can't look at the server I as doing it on right now, but I believe the dmg was able to mount (think I saw that in the autocaspernbi log). Or do you mean I need to mount it ahead of time?

SOLVED Posted: by neil.martin83

@bentoms \- Thank you for this, it's great and thanks for your support with the issue regarding spaces in the name and NetSUS. Got a couple of suggestions, just cosmetic really.

• Is it possible to have the custom desktop image scaled so it isn't cropped etc when used with displays of differing resolutions?
  • Is it possible to hide the Untitled volume on the desktop? I'm guessing it's the ram disk used for shadow storage? (used the custom rc.netbot) \- I can see people getting confused with it, assuming it's a USB stick or something.

One thing I've noticed is that after imaging, when the system reboots, it hangs for a very long time, nearly an hour from what I've seen, before it actually reboots into the second stage.

This is with a reduced NetBoot Set that has ARD enabled and is using the custom rc.netboot.

I am going to try another without the custom rc.netboot but will leave ARD enabled and go from there...

Regards,

Neil.

@neil.martin83

Not sure about the desktop background. Only replace the DefaultDesktop.jpg with what you supply.

Desktop icons.. This has been brought up more than once, on a few commits I'll not set Finders settings so you can do as you need. (Once the optional to install additional packages is working).

As for the hang, is this a 10.9.4 NetBoot? https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/30.0b6/30.0b6/discussion.html?id=11363

@bentoms][/url ahh so it's likely to be a combination of 10.9.4/ARD. I'll generate a NetBoot set without ARD now and test tomorrow when I get in to work. :)

I've seen this behaviour on 3 different machines today. Interestingly they all eventually rebooted without my intervention but a significant amount of time was added to the imaging process.

Out of interest, do people tend to have the shadow storage in RAM rather than use a chunk of the server for it? Aside from the benefits of using less network bandwidth and server resources, are there any potential issues by doing it that way?

Reason I ask is that I come from a DeployStudio background and never had to deal with this when it came to using DS's own NetBoot sets. Ignorance was bliss. :)

Edit: does anyone know if this happens with VNC enabled rather than ARD?

Cheers,

Neil.

It's me again!

After trying an NBI with ARD disabled, the system still hangs when trying to reboot just as it did before. This was observed on a late 2012 Mac Mini and Late 2012 iMac. I am going to assume it's something to do with Casper Imaging 9.31 and OS X 10.9.4 (AutoDMG generated). I'll try a 10.9.3 base image (AutoDMG generated).

I also noticed that the machine seems to pause the imaging process if not touched for a while, like it's gone to sleep. But I know it hasn't fully entered sleep, just the display has. If I put my ear to the Mac, I can hear the fan quietly spinning and the occasional hard disk churn. When I press a key the display quickly powers up again and I see Casper Imaging quickly 'rush' through a bunch of packages then it seems to carry on where it left off.

Regards,

Neil.

@neil.martin83 you're coming to the meet up tomorrow right?

If so, can we test some imaging remotely? To resolve i think we need to enable SSH & tail the system log at logout.

Updated to 0.13

—Resolved an issue calculating space on non-English language Macs.
—Added checkbox for hosting on NetSUS, this removes spaces from the NetBoot’s Name.

Same link as above

@smith.kyle Hi, AutoCasperNBI will error if it cannot mount the DMG (error showing as "Cannot Mount DMG", it will also error if it cannot read the OS version from:

set selectedOSdmgVersion to do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults read " & quoted form of selectedOSdmgMountPath & "/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist ProductVersion"

So as long as that plist exists it should be ok.

I've been trying to recreate the issue you're seeing, but am struggling.

@bentoms Yes, happy to give it a go. Using AnyConnect on the iPad for VPN access and SSH is currently blocked \- but can screen share to a second Mac on the network and do it through that. Loving Remotix by the way.

The build I'm testing with takes approx 40 mins to complete the first stage of imaging.

I finish work at 5 and am only down the road in Stratford so can get to St Paul's early if you like.

Will test a reduced 10.9.3 build this morning with ARD and custom rc.netboot enabled and report my findings.

@bentoms][/url Ok... Tried 10.9.3 and observed:

• On the Mini I had to give it a poke as imaging paused as if the machine went to sleep. The system hung when trying to restart, same as with 10.9.4. I was connected with ARD.
  • On the iMac, it didn't pause but did hang on reboot. I did NOT connect with ARD on this machine at all.

I'll go back to 10.9.4, image the Mini again, tail the system log and post results.

@neil.martin83.. right.. I had personally thought that the whole ARD thing was a bit of a red herring, what i've done on OSX server is clear the NetBootClients() folder, restarted the NetInstall service & re-NetBooted.

Not sure if you can do this with NetSUS of if starting the AFP/SMB service is enough.

@bentoms Can't find any mention of that folder or shadow storage in general in the documentation (haven't SSH'd in yet to have a poke around the directory structure but I'd rather not as I'm not quite sure where to look and what to bash at).

This issue is consistent whether or not the custom rc.netboot is used... Also switching back to our original 10.9.3 NetBoot created the traditional way by @daz_dar works perfectly every time.

I'll have a system log for you shortly... just waiting for it to reboot, been hung a while now but stuff occasionally still appearing in the log. It'll finish soon...

Another observation with every one of AutoCasperNBI's sets is that there is a progress bar every time the system NetBoots, which I think is an fsck running.

@neil.martin83, thanks for the link.

It appears to be the system.log from your mac & not the NBI's.

Anyways, the FSCK is not something I've seen.. & I'm wondering if this is all due to a bad upload?

I have seen the hang before, but that has been resolved my end. Possibly by uploading via a gig connection & not 100MB or wireless.

I know others have seen it, but it has also seemingly randomly been resolved.

Perhaps remove the image & re-upload?

/url">@bentoms][/url Sorry I included some of my own logs by mistake when playing with the tail command, have edited the above post with the correct link now: [http://pastebin.com/2Q9hZ7qr

Have been uploading these via a gigabit link and have seen the same with each one, must have done quite a few by now so I don't think it's the network. Perhaps the NBI needs expanding with more free space? That's the one thing I haven't tried yet...

@neil.martin83 thanks for the logs, expansion is definitely worth a try.

The issue appears to be with kext's. (according to the system.log) as those were the last messages before the 30 minute delay at restart.

@neil.martin83 i've posted a fix in 0.14 that may help:

—?Added?touching?of?/System/Library/Extensions/?to?try?&?resolve?hang
on?reboot
—?Corrected?some?logging

If you have time, please try 0.14 & advise.

@bentoms Thank you, will try it now.

@bentoms Whilst waiting for the machine to finish first stage of imaging, I have a question.

Does AutoCasperNBI keep the disk image in the NetBoot Set mounted until you quit the application completely? If so that may be where I was going wrong with what looked like fdisk running at boot. I was copying the NetBoot set across before quitting the app. This time I quit the app completely and didn't see a progress bar when booting into the new set.

@neil.martin83, it wouldn't be AutoCasperNBI but NetSUS or NetBoot Server.

I'd advise copying the NBI, then restarting the NetBoot service or AFP/SMB then trying to boot.

@bentoms \- hung again :(

Also I think the Energy Saver preferences need tweaking as I had to hit a key to get the Mini to wake up properly again after it had paused during the imaging process.

Will try with a 20GB set next...

@neil.martin83, i did originally have a more "caffeinated" energy saver settings set, but removed them in favour of Apple's NBI defaults.

Let's have a talk about this later.

Thanks for all the help so far.

@bentoms No problem, able to generate the NBIs faster now as am doing it on a server with a nice Pegasus R6. I think I've got time to try one more (same settings but expanded to 20GB) before I leave here \- will restart SMB, AFP and NetBoot in the NetSUS.

Fingers crossed and looking forward to meeting you later. :)

@bentoms Last one from me for today \- not able to create an expanded NBI, got an error whilst creating dyld caches \- here's a snipped from AutoCasperNBI's log:

Wed Sep 3 16:22:53 BST 2014 Trying to expand /Volumes/USS-RAID/Testing/10.9.4AutoCasperNBI.nbi/NetBoot.reduced.dmg to 24.4GB Wed Sep 3 16:22:53 BST 2014 Trying to mount: '/Volumes/USS-RAID/Testing/10.9.4AutoCasperNBI.nbi'/NetBoot.reduced.dmg Wed Sep 3 16:23:31 BST 2014 Mounted to: /Volumes/10.9.4AutoCasperNBI 1 Wed Sep 3 16:23:31 BST 2014 Trying to disable Spotlight Indexing on /Volumes/10.9.4AutoCasperNBI Wed Sep 3 16:23:32 BST 2014 Disabled Spotlight Indexing on /Volumes/10.9.4AutoCasperNBI Wed Sep 3 16:23:32 BST 2014 Creating dyld shared cache files on: /Volumes/10.9.4AutoCasperNBI Wed Sep 3 16:23:45 BST 2014 Error: Creating dyld shared cache files

See you in a while. :)

SOLVED Posted: by chisox1

Just grabbed it and made a 9.4 NBI, worked great! Nice work

SOLVED Posted: by sgorney

Does the OS.dmg to NetBoot.dmg copy take some time? It seems to be hanging on that process for me.

@neil.martin83 have you been able to test with Casper Imaging 9.4? I've a fix in the next commit for the expand issue.

@sgorney the time is dependent on your OS.dmg's size & whether you're using an SSD or spinning disk.

@bentoms Just done some testing this morning.

I actually managed to generate an expanded NBI on a freshly installed Mac (no errors) and tried Casper Imaging 9.4. Left ARD enabled. Still hanging on reboot. :(

@neil.martin83 dammit!

I'll need to somehow spin up a NetSUS to test, but I know this has worked on a NetSUS for others.

I wonder if the same NBI works on a NetBoot server.

@bentoms Yeah it's frustrating. Things are hotting up here, students starting soon etc so my spare time is disappearing. Next time I get a chance I'll disable the NetSUS and try the NBI on our old Mac Mini Server which was used for NetBooting before.

UPDATED

— Round all the sizing! (yep i missed some, should work on non-english
macs)
— Corrected Admin check behaviour
— Removed a few hundred lines to get over the stack error.
— Changed behaviour so only build process window is shown during build.
— Correct the logging so shouldn’t rollover when writing past 00:00 on
a day, & will start a new line on launch
— Corrected an issue when expanding the NetBoot.dmg

Same link as in OP

SOLVED Posted: by wmateo

@bentoms how are you addressing FV2 encrypted drives on this? is DiskUtil included? NetInstall Creator is cool, but lacks tools like DiskUtil on the menu & dock.

@wmateo Disk Utility is kept even when reducing the image.

SOLVED Posted: by powellbc

I started testing this today with .15 and it worked really well, no observed issues at all. Great work!

Thanks for testing folks!

If you weren't, it'd have been pointless.

SOLVED Posted: by dmueller

@bentoms, I just wanted to say that this tool is pretty awesome. I have been playing with it since .12 and it has worked out quite well. Thanks for your effort so far.

SOLVED Posted: by ega

So this works great. Thanks for all the hard work! Would you consider 2 additional options: a) hide dock and b) hide disks ? We work completely unattended, remotely so I actually edit the info.plist on Casper Imaging.app to add <key>LSUIPresentationMode</key> <real>4</real>
forcing full screen at launch. The problem is that the launch daemon takes several seconds and the desktop is still visible inviting tampering. It would be great if you would add these 2 options in advanced mode! Thanks for consideration.

SOLVED Posted: by tsharrison

This is working perfectly in our environment, and has resolved some issues we were having with new machines. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

SOLVED Posted: by Bendelaat

This works perfectly, thanks for sharing. @bentoms will jou be adding a feature to add JDS certificate in the mix so we can get installation files from JDS? (when they get it working).

This is a great tool. We were having problems getting the nbi files created and working. Since we have been using this all our issues have gone away. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

@ega, i'll have a look at the full screen. But tbh, once I get the additionals tab working.. you'll be able to customise it as you wish.

@Bendelaat][/url, thank you! AutoCasperNBI will try & grab the JSS's cert if you enter the JSS url.. it's then set as a trusted root cert on booting the NBI.

@dmueller][/url, @tsharrison][/url & @MikeF, Thank you too! Glad it's helped.

This is honest-to-god one of the best tools I've ever used. Well done, sir.

@bentoms Have you tested this with Yosemite yet?

SOLVED Posted: by activitymonitor

Anybody else having trouble getting Diskless Mode to work? I needed to make the change suggested here to my rc.netboot file for 10.9.4: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6443#responseChild33353

SOLVED Posted: by justinrummel

/url">@activitymonitor][/url If you look at Options => Advanced there is a checkbox for rc.netboot. it works perfectly the last tim I needed NetBoot to use RAM for the user cache data. see: [http://cl.rummel.co/image/38132p3B0A3D

Also, if you are dealing with an OS X Server that has been upgraded in the past years, review http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4316 to see if your netboot users have the correct FileSharing permissions. This was the root cause to need the rc.netboot checkbox.

\- Justin

@justinrummel The modified file gets installed, but it is the 10.6/10.7 era file, which does not work (for me at least) on 10.9. I changed both instances of kextutil to kextload and it worked great.

SOLVED Posted: by mfcfadmin

@bentoms][/url Very new to Casper but tools like this make the transition infinitely easier and a more joyful experience. In testing this in our lab I have seen at least one issue mentioned in this thread, namely the Mac not rebooting or hanging on the gray screen for a long period of time after the reboot command is conceivably given. However another issue I have been seeing and I have not seen mentioned in this thread is one where after the netboot occurs and Casper Imaging is supposed to launch automatically, I see it bounce in the dock, the light (or dot indicating the application is launched) underneath the app appears, the menubar for Casper Imaging will even sometimes briefly appear, but then the app just seems to quit with no interaction whatsoever. Casper Imaging can then manually be relaunched and all works fine but it would be nice to have it work as expected. Have you seen this behaviour in any of your testing?

Another anomaly I have noticed and have not been able to reproduce at will is the password obscuring characters will sometimes randomly change. Sometimes it will be black bullets as I expect it should always be, but other times it is a series of e's that are used when typing the password into the Casper Admin password field.

Hi all,

Just to say i've been quiet as have been beavering away at adding the options to install additional pkgs, so you guys can customise as you want. There should be another version this week.

@sgorney it can create YoYo NBI's on 10.7 \- 10.9. It won't run on YoYo, yet.. that's the next next thing to fix.

@activitymonitor, that's interesting.. I've had people net boot 40 clients & image from one server.. so that would presume that the rc.netboot works (was a 10.9 NBI). What were you seeing that made you look into diskless?

@mfcfadmin, that al sounds wrong tbh. BUT, with the hanging issue.. i keep thinking it's the permissions on the NBI or the method used to copy to the server. I have seen it hang, but no longer do. I think the difference is copying over 1GB instead of say wireless. But I'll need to look into it more. Can you answer the below please?

1. What OS version NBI?
  2. What server is hosting the NBI? (& version)
  3. Which protocol used? (http or nfs)
  4. What are the permissions on the NBI once inplace on the server?

@bentoms][/url

Using your rc.netboot file on 10.9, I could not erase a disk with Casper or Disk Utility when netbooted. Tried it on several machines and got could not unmount disk errors.

@bentoms][/url

1. The NBI OS version is 10.9.1
  2. Late 2013 Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12 Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 Gig 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM running Server 3.1.2
  3. HTTP
  4. Permissions rwxrwxr-x or by my figuring 775.

The image was created on the computer that would eventually host it and therefore it loaded/saved it into the NetBootSP0 folder itself upon successful creation of image.

Again, thanks for this tool and assistance.

@mfcfadmin wrote:

1. The NBI OS version is 10.9.1

Sorry for butting in, but just curious, why not 10.9.5 (agnostic)?

@donmontalvo

Trying to keep things consistent.

We are deploying 10.9.1 images because in our environment we have found that if we upgrade beyond 10.9.1, Apple native apps do not work with our network accounts. Without going into too much detail we are using network home directories hosted on a NetAPP and authenticated via Kerberized NFS. However if we go beyond 10.9.1 the apps break.

@mfcfadmin So 10.9.1 should be fine since Apple KB HT1159 shows the Late 2013 Mac Pro shipped with 10.9.

I thought you meant your NBI is at 10.9.1, we usually make that the latest agnostic OS version, currently 10.9.5.

Do

If it makes a difference the NBI is based on/created from 10.9.1 (version 1.3.37 build 13C64) never booted AutoDMG image. The actual OS on the Mac Pro is 10.9.4.

SOLVED Posted: by musat

I just tested this out on our systems here and everything went very smoothly. About the only thing I would like to be able to change is the dock. We always put Disk Utility into the dock to make it a little quicker to access in case the local drive needs to be erased or renamed prior to imaging.

We also sometimes use the netboot image for recovery / repair, making easy access to disk utility handy.

@activitymonitor that's odd & definitely not something i've seen. There have been plenty of people advising it's worked for them as diskless using the rc.netboot fix for 30+ Macs or without form up to 10.

@mfcfadmin what models of Macs are you netbooting? I'm wondering if they do not support 10.9.1 hence the oddities your seeing.

@musat, thanks! Next commit will allow you to install PKG's with which you can customise the root user account.

@bentoms

So far the bulk of them have been Late 2012 or beyond Mac Mini's. Core i5's or better all with 16 GB RAM.

@mfcfadmin, hmmm.

Have your tried a variety of aged models? Same result?

Was the AutoDMG image created from the install OS X.app?

Can you try & stop the NetInstall service, then restart? If that fails, can you empty NetBootClients() & then try?

Lastly, can you try with a 10.9.5 NBI?

@bentoms

Have not yet tried on older equipment as I had a new shipment of Minis to deploy. I can eventually get around to testing on older hardware and post results.

Yes the AutoDMG was created from the Install OS X. app 10.9.1 (version 1.3.37 build 13C64)

NetInstall service was stopped and and restarted upon creation of the new NBI image I even went so far as to reboot the Mac. The NetBootClients() folder was also emptied.

I will try with 10.9.5 and see if results vary.

Thank you!

@bentoms

The more I play, the more I see. One of the other things I have noticed about it "hanging" or remaining on the grey screen is that sometimes it works completely as expected and other times it just does seemingly "hang" there on the grey screen. I have not yet been afforded the luxury to just let it sit for a period of time to actually see if the "hung" grey screen actually does ever reboot given some time. However when I do get a chance I will be patient and see this happens. This was just an aside to let you know that without any changes whatsoever I am sometimes seeing the expected behaviour.

Hi All,

New release.. same link as above.

— Enabled adding additional pkgs & certs.
— Amended kernel cache generation to see try & stop the hang on restart.
— Changed root user environment back to Apple defaultsish. (Dock is stripped to Finder, Casper Imaging & Trash). Use PKGs to customise

SOLVED Posted: by jwojda

it's probably me, but I get the beachball o death every time I launch .15 or .16. It prompts for the admin credentials but doesn't let me type, gotta force quit.

@jwojda are your launching it on 10.10?

SOLVED Posted: by fritz.schlapbach

Thank you for your work @bentoms][/url. AutoCasperNBI is a great tool and I really appreciate it.

The only issue I see (with all versions I tried, including the new .16) is, that the keyboard is not set to the one I choosed while creating the NetBoot image.

I always choose the keyboard "SwissGerman", but after booting a machine with the created NetBoot image the keyboard seems to be US (or UK, not sure).

The server is running OS X 10.9.5 as well as the created NetBoot image. The same problem existed with OS X 10.9.4.

@bentoms theoretically, though I cannot confirm nor deny based on NDA :)

@fritz.schlapbach, thanks for letting me know. With so many layouts & ID values for them, I may have a typo. Will have a nose.

@jwojda, I've been waiting for GM release before fixing that. Which happened to be yesterday. A fix will be in place soonish.

@jwojda I can not confirm or deny that I read that post.

@bentoms I'm working on getting a used MacPro5,1 for home, so I can run ESXi and access it through VMWare Fusion 7 Pro. Although I haven't pulled the trigger, ESXi 6 is supposed to support MacPro6,1 (not sure about Mac minis).

Once I get this set up I plan to jump in head first, expect feedback... :D

Don

@donmontalvo \- lmao

SOLVED Posted: by evanmellichampe

@bentoms, this is an exceptional tool. Thank you! We have a sizable environment and are using 11 Xserves and 11 Mac Minis to host multiple .nbi's that point EFI32Bit machines to JSS v.8.73 or EFI64Bit machines to JSS v.9.52.

Using the model property filtering in OS X Server is very useful to us for a number of reasons. I wanted to ask about AutoCasperNBI and the NBImageInfo.plist that it creates. Once I upload an .nbi and enable it, there is no option to filter it as we generally do with an .nbi we've created using Apple's System Image Utility.

Is the NBImageInfo.plist something you would recommend a user to modify? Specifically, I'm referring to the list of devices that normally appears above EnabledSystemIdentifiers. I'm somewhat of a novice on all of this, I apologize. Does AutoCasperNBI rely more on the i386/PlatformSupport.plist perhaps?

Thank you, sir.

@fritz.schlapbach it should be fixed with next release. Thanks for pointing it out.

@evanmellichampe i'll need to look at that, it's not something i do.. but also isn't something i'm blocking on purpose.

@Zvordauk, @smith.kyle, @mfcfadmin when the NBI's were not restarting.. had you reduced the NBI?

I've been testing with @neil.martin83 (thanks again fella!), & it seems that the hanging only happens to images that have been reduced.. also doesn't happen to all.

One other thing, are you all using NetSUS?

@bentoms

I can say that that if reduced image is a default setting then yes that would truly be the case. Also we are not using NetSUS

-- New App Icon.
-- Changed status icons to OSX's in built.
-- Now approximately calculates there is enough space needed to create
the NBI (including if we're expanding & creating readonly or reduced) &
errors if not.
-- Serve over options now hidden until OS.dmg & Casper Imaging.app
successfully added.
-- Changed order of additional items check, to avoid hang on launching
AutoCasperNBI.
-- Resized tableviews, so can scroll to see long paths of additional
certs & pkgs.
-- Added pre-check, to alert if any additional certs or pkgs are
missing.
-- Moved from installing PKGs for launchagent etc to flat file copy.
-- Amended powermanagement.plist to displaysleep after 3 hours, removed
from boot.sh
-- Corrected setting input source for selections with spaces in names.
Such as, Swiss German for example. (@fritz.schlapbach)
-- Enabled copy & paste. (@RHammen)
-- Disables screen saver. (@neil.martin83)
-- Disables app nap. (@neil.martin83)
-- On successful build, volumes are now unmounted. (@neil.martin83,
@mfcfadmin, @Harsdorff)
-- Always reducing cache now, to help with hang on restart (I hope! 1
more thing to try if not). (@neil.martin83, @mfcfadmin, @smith.kyle &
@Zvordauk)
-- Set attaching of OS.dmg to --noverify, to see if this helps in those
cases where it's failed. (@smith.kyle, @boberito)
-- Removed check OS version as no longer needed & may have caused false
positives erroring as not being able to mount dmg. (@smith.kyle,
@boberito)
-- Populates NBIImageInfo.plist's EnabledSystemIdentifiers array, to
allow model filtering (@evanmellichampe)

To all whom are mentioned above, I've put you names either against issues you have told me about.. or fixes for issues that I think apply to what you have been seeing.

Please test & get back to me.

Updated:

-- Corrected size calculation, sorry about that.

Please don't use 0.17.

oh & @fritz.schlapbach when testing 0.18, please reselect "Swiss German" before proceeding.

To be added:

-- Full 10.10 support.
-- Sparkle updater support.
-- Calculate progress bar correctly.
-- Correct behaviour when cancelling at location selection, so app doesn't need to be restarted.

SOLVED Posted: by willpolley

@bentoms

In 0.18,
There is a blank line loaded by default in Optional Certs section which causes AutoNBI to bomb out at that step.

@willpolley, can you delete the com.macmule.AutoCasperNBI.plist.. then open AutoCasperNBI & try again?

@willpolley, don't worry @neil.martin83 has mentioned the same thing. Working on it now.

@bentoms, persisted after pref deletion and logout/on.

mobile network account
local account used when prompted

@bentoms, this also happens now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw4kxkwc3b9w6dl/Screenshot%202014-10-05%2016.32.18.png?dl=0

Restarts the creation process after a completion.

Logs from today: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1015641/AutoCasperNBI-2014-10-05.log

SOLVED Posted: by boberito

Same error as before for me

When I select the dmg it reports "Cannot read OS Version".

I've deleted com.macmule.AutoCasperNBI.plist from my \~/Library/Preferences

Hi @boberito,

Just to check are you using 0.17 of AutoCasperNBI or above?

Also, what does it say in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist from the DMG? is should read like:

<dict> <key>ProductBuildVersion</key> <string>13F34</string> <key>ProductCopyright</key> <string>1983-2014 Apple Inc.</string> <key>ProductName</key> <string>Mac OS X</string> <key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key> <string>10.9.5</string> <key>ProductVersion</key> <string>10.9.5</string> </dict>

Using .18

And actually restarting fixed it. I couldn't mount the dmg, it said the resource was busy. So rebooting fixed that and the AutoCasperNBI issue.

I have started playing around with the additions and it is nice to have this. But I got a copy of the latest version .18 and I have been unable to complete a build now. It starts the build process and after a while I get an error that says Error: One or more addition Certificates are missing
I have deleted the plist file and tried again but I still get this error. The process stops at this point and does not complete.

A blank line gets inserted into the certificates section \- highlight it and remove it and it should work.

@bentoms

Seeing the exact same behaviour as @MikeF. Did not select any packages nor did I click I click anywhere on the Certificates panel, but I do notice that the first line in the certificates pane is highlighted blue. Don't know if that is significant or not but I too am unable to build a NBI that actually completes.

Sorry guys, v0.19 will be out tonight/tomorrow that should fix the cert issue (amongst others).

@boberito, was the DMG mounted when you had tried before?

It was not. But in testing I see the DMG has to be mounted or else it won't work.

After getting past the certificate issue I'm still not able to make an NBI. This is from the log file.

Mon Oct 6 13:27:29 EDT 2014 Trying to create .nbi folder /Users/rgendler/Desktop/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI.nbi Mon Oct 6 13:27:30 EDT 2014 Successfully created '/Users/rgendler/Desktop/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI.nbi' Mon Oct 6 13:27:30 EDT 2014 Trying to create NetBoot.dmg in /Users/rgendler/Desktop/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI.nbi Mon Oct 6 13:27:35 EDT 2014 Successfully created NetBoot.dmg in '/Users/rgendler/Desktop/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI.nbi' Mon Oct 6 13:27:35 EDT 2014 Trying to mount: '/Users/rgendler/Desktop/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI.nbi' Mon Oct 6 13:27:36 EDT 2014 Mounted to: /Volumes/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI Mon Oct 6 13:27:37 EDT 2014 Copying contents of '' to '/Users/rgendler/Desktop/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI.nbi'/NetBoot.dmg Mon Oct 6 13:27:37 EDT 2014 Error: Cannot copy contents of to '/Volumes/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI' Mon Oct 6 13:27:43 EDT 2014 Trying to detach /Volumes/10.9.5 AutoCasperNBI Mon Oct 6 13:27:53 EDT 2014 Trying to detach Mon Oct 6 13:27:53 EDT 2014 Goodbye for now!

@boberito, can you recreate your AutoDMG 10.9.5 OS.dmg & run 0.19 (when out), without mounting the OS.dmg before?

I removed the verify flag from the hdiutil mount command to see if that helped you, but I'll add it back as it's needed.

The dodgy DMG would also be why SIU failed too.

@mfcfadmin

I missed the post about the blank line. That fixed it for me.

-- Build & Options buttons are no longer disabled after clicking "Build"
-- hdiutil commands verify the volumes being mounted again.
-- kernelcache reduction always happens on 10.9 NBI's.
-- Fixed an issue with creating read-only 10.8.x NBI's & auto login. (The User Templates folder is no longer emptied).
-- Should no longer try to re-run on completion (@neil.martin83 & @willpolley)
-- Size calculations should now correctly get the volume selected to create the NBI on, including FSTAB mounted paths (@neil.martin83)
-- Size calculations now reads terabytes, not just gigabytes (@neil.martin83)
-- Fixed issue with a blank cert value added to the additional certs array (@neil.martin83, @smith.kyle, @MikeF, @mfcfadmin, @boberito)
-- Fixed an issue with ARD not correctly being enabled (@neil.martin83, @Jimmymac641)

Hi @bentoms, sorry, still seeing an issue with 0.19 trying to re-run on completion. Clean installation.

@dmueller, dammit.

Are you expanding the NBI?

Hi @bentoms][/url][/url. No, reducing it only. A quick rundown of my settings:

• 10.9.5 system with a clean disk image from AutoDMG (10.9.5 13F34)
  • 9.32 Casper Imaging Apps
  • Set to be served from more than one server (NFS)

Options:

• Netboot description checked
  • Reduce Image size checked
  • Custom Desktop Image checked
  • Advanced tab \- install modified rc.netboot file checked
  • Additionals \- certs added
SOLVED Posted: by fritz.schlapbach
-- Corrected setting input source for selections with spaces in names. Such as, Swiss German for example. (@fritz.schlapbach)

@bentoms
I can confirm that the problem with the Swiss German keyboard is solved. Just tested it with version 0.19. Thank you. :)

Another problem I'm seeing is when I choose an image name that already exists in the chosen folder. It asks me prior building the image if I would like to delete the folder or choose a new folder. That's Ok and it works in my tests. But if I choose "Delete Existing" it builds the image and after building the image I get the same prompt again.

@bentoms

I too see the issue of it seemingly wanting to run the workflow a second time. As @fritz.schlapbach eluded to, upon completion of the NBI set the tool wants to start again and sees the folder name there (it just created) and it a.) errors out with "NetBoot successfully created at the following location: Error: Calculating space needed /Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0/10.9.5ACNBI.nbi http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~jmcconac/NetBootError.png, then b.) wants to create the entire NBI folder for a second time.

--?Correct?an?issue?where?AutoCasperNBI?would?try?re-run (@fritz.schlapbach, @neil.martin83, @willpolley & @mfcfadmin)
--?Changed?what's?deleted?to?try?&?stop?the?hang?when?creating?a?reduced?NBI (@neil.martin83)

@bentoms][/url][/url another thing I have noticed in the last couple of versions is that the images that are created are all "access restricted" images. By default they have the "Image is visible to (only some Mac models)" pull down choice selected, whereas in earlier versions "(all Mac models)" was the default selection.

Also still seeing the "Authentication failed to "NetBoot..."" message.

Looks like version 20 took care of the "looping" or wanting to create a second set issue.

@bentoms][/url][/url

Another observation, if you are netbooted from an AutoCasperNBI netboot set, you are unable to select another netboot image to boot from. The resulting message is "You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. Unable to launch the underlying task process"

Still seeing grey/blue screen hangs when Casper imaging is done imaging and is attempting to reboot the computer.

@mfcfadmin ok the restricted models i think i've fixed in next commit.

As to the hanging, are you reducing the NBI?

@bentoms "Reduce Image Size" is checked however I thought that was a default setting. I don't ever remember physically selecting that option. Should it be unchecked? Also you made no further mention of the ARD issue and not being able to authenticate to the netbooted client. Is there something that I should be doing differently there too?

Thanks for your quick response and helpfulness.

@mfcfadmin, sorry missed the ARD mention. That should've been fixed as of 0.19.

Can you try another image without reduce image ticked?

@bentoms][/url][/url][/url clicked "build" before I heard back from you I will let you know as soon as it finishes.

At this point I can't be entirely sure whether it was 18 or 19 that I was able to successfully connect using ARD but since the last version I have not been able to do that again.

So the reboot successfully took place after unchecking "Reduce Image Size". I will continue to test image to make sure it working reliably. I have seen in the past that it might work 4 out 5 times then hang on the fifth. I will continue to provide feedback.

Currently I am still getting the light blue icon in ARD telling me that I will not be able to authenticate to the client.

Don't know whether or not it helps but on the netbooted client I can see the local admin account and in the sharing panel I can see the account listed in the "Allow access for: (All users) radio button is checked. If I highlight the user and click the options button nothing is selected.

@mfcfadmin, i've just tested & ARD is working for me.. hmm.. maybe try removing the Mac from ARD & re-adding?

I think the size reduction is what's busting it

@bentoms][/url

Okay perfect I shall try and let you know.

That didn't seem to make a difference. Still seeing the local admin account in the "Sharing" pane however the radio button is still set to "All users" and when I highlight the local admin account and select options, nothing at all is checked.

I will try rebuilding a completely new image making sure the "Reduce Image Size" has been unchecked from the outset and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

-- Corrected logic when cancelling folder creation
-- Added deletion of /usr/standalone/bootcaches.plist to resolve hang on reboot (@neil.martin83)
-- Corrected NBImageInfo.plist, so it's not restricted by default (@mfcfadmin)

@bentoms \- My sincere apologies for not posting sooner. Model filtering is now working. Thank you. I ran into some of the issues that others had outlined above, but I am starting out fresh this morning with 0.21 and hope to provide some useful feedback for you in a few hours.

Thanks again.

@evanmellichampe, please let me know.

I'm guessing from the lack of feedback on 0.21 that it's working.

I hope you find that to be true.

Hi @bentoms,

I'm sorry. It appears we've reached an impasse with creating any type of 10.9.5 .nbi that will effectively netboot a Macbook7,1 (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo).

As it stands, I was able to reimage one of these laptops with our 10.9.5 AutoDMG (netbooted from a 10.9.4 .nbi created using SIU). Afterward, I used the Macbook7,1 to build a new .nbi with AutoCasperNBI v0.21 and still doesn't netboot from it. Rather, it will attempt to netboot and then power off.

I honestly think it's the model of machine itself that presents the issue. Sadly, we have an enormous amount if them.

If I have time this week, I will use 0.21 to build a 10.9.4 .nbi and see if it yields better results for the Macbook7,1. Thanks again, Ben.

@evanmellichampe

We have a lot of those too.

I'll check tomorrow & will report back.