Set time server before AD bind

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey guys,

is there a way to set the time server before the mac is bound to AD? We have a script for this, but setting this to "After" won't set the time zone for the new imaged volume.
"At Reboot" will set the time server after the integrated AD bind, so that this won't work. The only way I see for this is to manually script the AD bind and set the time server before. Just wanted to check with you guys if there's another way I can't see at the moment...

Thanks! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Create a Payload-free package of that script and put it to your imaging config with Priority 2.
Please make sure you don't tick "Install on boot drive after imaging" (on v9.xx) or "This package must be installed to the boot volume at imaging time" (on v8.xx).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Create a Payload-free package of that script and put it to your imaging config with Priority 2.
Please make sure you don't tick "Install on boot drive after imaging" (on v9.xx) or "This package must be installed to the boot volume at imaging time" (on v8.xx).

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

That's it, thanks! The only thing is that this only works with "install after imaging" for me. jamf.log executes some packages before the AD bind, so that this is no problem here.

Olivier
New Contributor II

We simply used a workaround :

- create 2-line script that set your time server, then runs jamf binary with a manual trigger. This script will be called by either CasperImaging or SelfService.
- create a new JSS policy with a manual trigger used in above script, that does nothing else than binding to your AD.

We do not use CasperImaging at all, and this way, we keep same logic/concept for "priority" when one performs binding in SelfService.

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@entholzner, curious, how did you get the pkg to execute before the bind?

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

tommyday, just set the priority to "2" and check "install after imaging". thats all. If you check the jamf.log you'll find that the domain binding is executed later in the workflow than the first package install. Casper Imaging's display order isn't accurate here.

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Oh I see @entholzner, its the display order that was getting me. I'll check the .log too. Does the pkg take a ton of time to install? Was playing w/ this yesterday and it would take 15-30 minutes to install while its on the "Please wait while Casper finishes installing software" splash screen

CarrieNZ
New Contributor III

This solved my problem, I saw a few people recommend Packages for creation of the pkg in another thread so gave it a go, super easy solution!