Brand New Machines and imaging problem

macboy
Contributor

In my environment I have a brand new machine come in. I immediately netboot it and image with a configuration that consists of all the apps to lay over the top of the installed OS that came with the machine. I have some applications install and then it binds the machine to AD and runs the casper quick add package one more time at the end. However, it will never bind to AD and comes up with no way for me to get in. It does not add the machine to the JSS.

Here is the interesting part, once I try to netboot and then erase drive and add in OS install part all seems to work fine and it gets added to JSS. Now if I reimage the machine back to factory specs and remove from JSS and try the same scenario as above all seems to work fine. The JSS has the object removed and the hardrive is wiped and replaced with image captured (factory) so it is back to the way it was from factory.

Any one had any luck or issues with slapping down applications and adding a brand new out of box Mac to the JSS that has never seen the JSS? I don't use prestage imaging at all and don't really need to in my environment.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

freddie_cox
Contributor III

We had a similar issue with some Macbook Airs - Even though they were connected with Thunderbolt Ethernet adapters, from a fresh out of the box Apple Install they would never connect to the network at the login screen.

To fix/troubleshoot the issue I did the following:

macboy
Contributor

Well they connect and netboot fine and appear to run the apps. If I look at the drive booted from an external drive it appears that all my apps have been loaded. Just no AD authentication (that I can tell) and doesn't appear in the JSS and the local Casper administration account is not created. Logs don't really say a whole lot.

michaelhusar
Contributor II
  1. AD binding only troubles me when the time is not correct - happened to me a lot with new machines
  2. In "ancient" casper 8 times I had troubles when I did not remove the following from the base image - I am still keeping this habit: sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences NetworkServices sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences CurrentSet sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences Sets sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist