Deploying Mathematica (Network)

aleks_gylys
New Contributor

We have run into an issue where our network version of Mathematica 10 does not pull a license from the MathLM server on any Mac that has been imaged by Casper, throwing the error "The Mathematica FrontEnd could not locate the server...".

We know this is not an error on the license server as Mathematica works fine on any non-Casper Mac (all other things equal: subnet, OS Base dmg, settings, even hardware). It seems to have something to do with whether or not the Base OS is laid down by Casper. For instance - I lay the same OS down manually using disk utility, install Mathematica (either with Composer package or Wolfram installer - both are simple drag/drop .app files), input the server address on launch, and it works fine. As soon as I image the same machine using Casper, it breaks. That is, the Math Front End just doesn't pull the license properly - I'm assuming the .app is fine otherwise.

Consider the following scenarios, all tested on the same mac:
- Apply OS Base 10.9.4 (alone) using Imaging, push Mathematica composer package via Remote - broke :(
- Apply OS Base 10.9.4 plus Mathematica using Imaging - broke :(
- Apply OS Base 10.9.4 using Imaging, install Mathematica App manually w Wolfram installer - broke :(

No matter how I get the app installed to the mac, if I use Casper to deploy the os base, mathematica throws the error on launch.

- Apply OS Base 10.9.4 using Disk Utility, (recon the mac) and push Mathematica composer package via Remote - works! :)
- Apply OS Base 10.9.4 using Disk Utility, install Mathematica App w Wolfram installer - works! :)

Our JSS is at 9.31. We have had no other issues using the same base image and everything else. Has anyone else noticed this? What is Casper Imaging doing to the base OS after it deploys, aside from adding the jamf binary? It's also important to note that telnetting to the port on the MathLM server always works without issue.

11 REPLIES 11

psliequ
Contributor III

Have you tried to set Mathematica to 'install on the boot drive after imaging?'

tep
Contributor II

We distribute Mathematica with Casper, and haven't had any problems. In building the package, I did have to check the box to fill the user template.

aleks_gylys
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick responses! I tried this: Casper Imaging installs OS base, and installs Mathematica post imaging - broke :(

There was another suggestion to deploy Mathematica as a policy - broke when OS is deployed via Casper Imaging, worked when OS is deployed via Disk Utility and recon'd.

I was going to ask, how many people out there are actually successfully deploying Mathematica v9 or 10 for Mac (the network license version)? Our package (for the moment) is just a straightup .app, and we're adding the server address manually. Eventually (if we end up deploying Mathematica), I'd like to keep the mathpass file in there as well.

imperatives
New Contributor III

We deploy Mathematica 9 - network license version - via policy. In addition to the Mathematica application you will need to create the mathpass file that includes a single line "!licenseservername.domain" and place it in /Library/Mathematica/Licensing (you will need to create these directories). Additionally, you can add the Mathematica.plugin to the "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins" directory.

@tep
The /Mathematica/Licensing/mathpass file doesn't need to be in the User's Library. I created the structure in /Library/Mathematica/Licensing/mathpass, which seems to work fine. This should allow you to remove the fill User template option.

tep
Contributor II

Have you tried making a .dmg installer? It's way bigger, but it works.

rickwhois
Contributor

In version 10, the mathpass file is stored in Mathematica.appConfigurationLicensing. Are you plopping it in there or in ~/Library?

aleks_gylys
New Contributor

Thanks again folks, I've tried all of these things to no avail! I'm conviced the fault lies somewhere beyond Mathematica, but in a cache or a hardcoded address somewhere or a certificate somewhere.

@imperatives I'm curious what might be different with your OS base, or even the version of your JSS...

jchen1225
New Contributor III

We had the same issue here. Contacted Wolfram and apparently there is a bug that only affects Mac version of Mathematica 10 connecting to a MathLM Network License Server. I was told that they are working on a fix to MathLM...

dkwon
New Contributor III

Hi, I am also having the same issue. Howerver, I was able to narrow down cause of the problem - Sophos Anti Virus.

The image without Sophos, Mathematica 10 can connect MathLM server without any problem. After the Sophos Anti Virus installation, Mathematica 10 cannot connect MathLM.
Even after uninstall the Sophos Anti Virus, Mathematica 10 still cannot connect MathLM. I am still searching the solution.

jchen1225
New Contributor III

Received feedback back from Wolfram:
"
Our apology for all the inconvenience caused by the MathLM issue. We have pushed out a fixed version of MathLM to address the issue you experienced, and you can get the installer for the new MathLM from the following links:

For Windows: https://download.wolfram.com/?key=8TX1TT
For UNIX: https://download.wolfram.com/?key=6HDJ6E
"

I will test it out and post result here later.

dkwon
New Contributor III

Thanks jchen1225 for the update.
After installing the newer version of MathLM, everything works fine.