Expanding Ubuntu VMware Drive Space [Help]

apanages
New Contributor

Hello,

I recently was having issues with my NetBoot/SUS server on VMware and after a lot of searching on JAMFNation I found this article (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4702
) which describes the issues as not having enough disk space is causing the webadmin interface to not work properly.

I recently had my Ubuntu VM disk spaced increased from 200 Gigs to 300 Gigs, but I am having issues re-sizing my current partition to add the extra 100 Gigs that was added to the server. Below is the process I am going through and would appreciate any help or advice on how to solve my problem.

1. Logged into my NetBoot/SUS Ubuntu Server via vSphere.

2. Entered in my NetSUS login / Password.

3. Typed in the following command to view my drives.
    ```
    df -h

Results:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/NetSUS--vg-root 196G 51G 135G 28% / none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup udev 486M 4.0K 486M 1% /dev tmpfs 100M 708K 99M 1% /run none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock none 497M 0 497M 0% /run/shm none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user /dev/sda1 236M 183M 41M 82% /boot

4. Typed in:

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

5. Entered in shelluser password.

4. Command (m for help):
    n

7. Partition type:
    p primary (1 primary, 1 extended, 2 free)
    l  logical (numbered from 5)
    Select (default p):

p

8. Partition number (1-4, default 3):

9. First sector (499712-629145599, default 499712):

Enter (Took default)

10. Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G} (499712-501757, default 501757):

Enter (Took default)

11. Command (m for help):

w

12. The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl( ) to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 16: Device or resource busy.
      The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at the next reboot or after
      you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8)
      Syncing disks.

sudo reboot

13. After the VM reboots and I log back in, I enter the following command:

sudo pvcreate /dev/sda3

14. Enter password to accept sudo command.

5. ```
    Device /dev/sda3 not found (or ignored by filtering).

That is currently where I am stuck. I have tried to do a lot of research online with no luck. All I need to do is add the extra 100 Gigs to my partition (/dev/mapper/NetSUS--vg-root).

Any suggestions?

Thank-you,

- Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester
4 REPLIES 4

rtrouton

I have a post available on how to expand available space on a NetSUS VM:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/expanding-available-disk-space-on-jamfs-netsus-vm-applia...

apanages
New Contributor

Hey rtrouton,

Amazing instructions! I just have one question regarding this process. I noticed in the guide its having me download the .ova file and work VMware Fusion. If I follow those steps, won't it wipe everything I have on my Ubuntu NetBoot/SUS server as if i'm starting over from scratch?

I'm just a bit confused. I'm just not sure how to do this with my current Ubutntu server. The instructions seem like they are starting from scratch to expand the drive space.

rtrouton

@apanages,

Since your VM is already up and running, you should be able to get the GParted ISO file uploaded and attached to your VM, then start at the While the VM is booted from the GParted Live iso file: section.

I would recommend making a clone of your VM first, to make sure that you can roll back in case a problem results from following the steps in my post.

apanages
New Contributor

@rtrouton,

Your instructions were perfect! Thank-you for everything.