User Level Configuration Profiles "Custom Settings" don't apply until 2nd login

timmohr
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to apply custom docks and keyboard shortcuts depending on Active Directory user groups with Configuration Profiles in our Casper 9.4 test environment.

The problem I am seeing is that the profiles with the "Custom Settings" payload don't apply for the user until the 2nd time that they login. The profiles do appear in System Preferences -> Profiles the first time they login.

Doing a "Killall Dock" restarts the dock and then shows the correct dock. So it appears that the profiles with custom settings are applying too late in the account creation/ first time login process and that dock and keyboard processors don't get the updated preferences.

Has anyone else attempted to deploy configuration profiles with the custom settings at login with any success?

Cheers,
Tim

4 REPLIES 4

analog_kid
Contributor

I've seen user-level config profiles not apply until the second logon as well. It was with a Restrictions payload (restricting access to certain system panels, like "Sharing"). I'm also scoping to Active Directory user groups and have seen it with several flavors of Casper 9.x (currently running 9.32).

I'd be interested to find out why this is as well.

Sonic84
Contributor III

The response from the JSS when clustering is enabled is too slow for MDM at login. the solution (in my case) was to disable clustering on the JSS. There is a defect filed with JAMF for this issue.

analog_kid
Contributor

@Sonic84

Very interesting. I do have clustering enabled to accomodate an internet-facing JSS so the workaround is a no-go for me. Luckily I noticed the issue and bailed on using user-level profiles before becoming invested in it. Sticking to good old fashioned script-fu for the time being. ;) Thanks for the info!

timmohr
New Contributor

@Sonic84

Thanks for the tip.

We don't have clustering enabled on the JSS but are still seeing the issue. It is virtualised though so I might try some performance testing to see if anything else is causing enough latency to bring this issue to the surface.

Would still be interested to hear from anyone else if they are having the same problem...