9.52 Glitch or my mistake?

ahopkins
New Contributor II

I just spent an hour fixing an issue, don't know if this is a bug or my mistake:

1. Added 27 new iPads to the JSS
  2. Did a search on the iPad numbers I assigned in Configurator
  3. The search found the 27 iPads
  4. I clicked on the "Action" button at the bottom. I was going to assign a department and building to the 27 iPads.
  5. Changed the department and building and clicked next.

I thought it would apply to the 27 iPads... but it changed all 1,000 iPads in my district to the same building and department.

I quickly made static groups for each building, staff, etc and placed everyone back in.

I thought applying an action would just apply to the group I was viewing, or result of a search. Anyone else had this happen?

10 REPLIES 10

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Did you do a blank search and then use the filter option to narrow down the iPads you wanted?

Look
Valued Contributor III

I have done exactly what ChrisCollins described on numerous occasions, usually when flushing logs.
I wish there was a "Flush Filtered" button so you could flush a policy log just for what you have filtered out.

ahopkins
New Contributor II

I did do a blank search first. I don't get that first search, nothing ever comes up...

I'm glad I was able to make static groups, it saved me.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@ahopkins Yeah, when you want to do partial searches you have to use wild card/asterisks. Whatever the actual computer amount that comes back from the original search is what gets actions applied. If you do a blank search which returns all computers, that's what gets acted on.

ahopkins
New Contributor II

Thanks Chris,

I'm sure I learned that in training... lesson learned.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II
Did a search on the iPad numbers I assigned in Configurator
I did do a blank search first. I don't get that first search, nothing ever comes up...

Can you clarify how you searched for the 27 iPads? <confused>

I'm running 9.51. If I do a blank search and then filter, the Action and Export buttons are no longer visible. I'd rather not run into your issue some day!!

thank you,

chris

ahopkins
New Contributor II

I searched in Casper for a group of iPads I enrolled. All 27 showed up. I clicked "Action" to change the department and building assignment. That's when it changed all my iPads to the same location.

From Support today:

"I tested this using the "Filter Search" and was able to replicate your behavior. This does appear to be an incompatibility to the workflow and our development team is working on a fix.

Moving forward I strongly recommend using the "Advanced Mobile Device Search". This will enable us to specify a specific criteria and ensure we're only Taking Action on those specific devices. "

So it is a glitch.. don't do any actions from a search..

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

What they also really need to do is show you an actual list during the action wizard that shows you exactly what machines are going to be afffected by the action.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is a known bug which has been filed and is planned to be fixed in a future release - you can track it with the following ID: D-007215.

The actual workflow that presents this problem is: do a Simple search, filter the results (notice 'Action' is not displayed), navigate to another JSS page, come back to inventory and do a Simple search.

At this point the 'filter' is still applied to the Simple search but you can now view the 'Action' button at the bottom of the page, and the 'Action' is actually applying to the Simple search and not the filtered results.

The workaround to apply an Action to a subset of computers is either just perform a simple search with wildcards or go off an Advanced Search or Smart Group.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Thank you Mike for the detailed steps.