Symantec Endpoint Uninstall Issues

kirkd
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,
I am experiencing issues with uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 so that I can install version 12.1.4

I am trying to use the script that is mentioned in this thread: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9271

I added "RemoveSymantecMacFiles" to Casper Admin and tried to run the script on a test computer with 12.1.2 installed. I get the following error:

Sending Wake On LAN command...
Opening SSH Connection to 128.135.xxx.xxx...
Authenticating...
Successfully authenticated.
Verifying Computer's Identity...
The MAC Address has been verified.
Checking Operating System Version...
Running Mac OS X 10.9.1 (13B4116)
Verifying /usr/sbin/jamf...
/usr/sbin/jamf is current (9.3)
Verifying /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist...
Preparing Policy...
Executing Policy 2014-10-10 at 11:19 AM | dkirk | 1 Computer...
Creating directory structure for /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/
Downloading http://128.135.xxx.xxx/Scripts/RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command...
Running script RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command...
Script exit code: 4
Script result: File: invalid option -- A
Usage: File [-bchikLNnprsvz0] [-e test] [-f namefile] [-F separator] [-m magicfiles] [-M magicfiles] file...
File -C -m magicfiles
Try `file --help' for more information.
ERROR: Invalid option or volume name: "Macloaner02".
Usage: RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command [-CcdeFfghIikLlmpQqRrV] [-QQ] [-re] [volume ...]
Submitting log to https://jss.uchicago.edu:8443/
Finished.

If I run the script locally on the target machine I experience zero issues. If anyone can assist I would appreciate it. I have about 50 Macs that I have to upgrade. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nessts
Valued Contributor II

when you launch the app you dont actually install it, you look at the menus, there is a tools menu, create remote deployment package. i usually have to wrap that package because we use Altiris to manage their Macs and it needs to install on a live system, so then I install it from /.installfiles/SEP with a launch daemon and it works 99.9% of the time.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

nessts
Valued Contributor II

just install the new one over the old one.

kirkd
New Contributor II

Hi Nessts I tried that. SEP installs without issue but Live Update is broken. I will mention that I created the SEP 12.1.4 package via Composer. If I run the uninstall script locally on the target computer followed by the package I created everything works properly. I just need to get the script to work via Casper.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

you should not be creating the installer via composer, run the app you get look in the utilities menu and generate a pkg you can deploy.

kirkd
New Contributor II

I created a remote deployment package within the SEP installer via tools. That failed as well.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

5 years of managing Macs @ Symantec I only ever install over existing. Maybe one time I needed to uninstall, I would probably make my own script to delete stuff. Symantec's Script often needs to be run twice to actually remove stuff. But its a good reference of what to do.

kirkd
New Contributor II

how are you installing over existing versions? The installer that gets created via the SEP admin console has an .app extension which is not supported by Casper. I had to make a package via Composer by installing. The remote deployment installer I created didn't work either.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

when you launch the app you dont actually install it, you look at the menus, there is a tools menu, create remote deployment package. i usually have to wrap that package because we use Altiris to manage their Macs and it needs to install on a live system, so then I install it from /.installfiles/SEP with a launch daemon and it works 99.9% of the time.

kirkd
New Contributor II

I created the remote deployment package. It failed when I tried to deploy the .pkg via Casper. I will try it again and post the error.

kirkd
New Contributor II

Ok well i stand corrected. The remote deployment package did indeed work this time. Thank you for the assist nessts, I appreciate it!!

nessts
Valued Contributor II

spectacular.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

hey kirk, for the uninstall script, you can't just upload the script in casper admin, run it, and have it work. You need to followw the instructions from that other thread:

• make a package in composer that drops the symantec .command file onto a temporary location on the client mac
  • add a post flight script to the package or a unix command to the policy on the JSS that executes the symantec .command file

I actually added the uninstall script to my installer and I run it as a pre-flight.