Removing Find My iPad / iCloud account on iPad / IOS8

cpdecker
Contributor III

Hey everyone,

So I'm sure a lot of you are aware that when someone signs into an iCloud account on an iPad and enables "Find my iPad", you have to either have the password for the account to remove it, get the user to remove it via Apple's web interface, or use an Activation Bypass Code from MDM after resetting the device via iTunes.

Now that my test iPad is on IOS8, I can't reset it via iTunes without having the iCloud password first. Is there a new process for removing iCloud accounts on IOS8 using Casper? If there's a mention of it in the documentation I apologize--haven't had time to read as we have an impending rollout! :)

Thanks for any help,
Cameron

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

freddie_cox
Contributor III

Make sure it is plugged into your computer, then hold down the power button + Home Button until it restarts. Then, as soon as it restarts, release the power button holding only the home button until you see "Connect to iTunes."

This is the process I usually use (if I'm remembering it correctly) :-)

View solution in original post

freddie_cox
Contributor III

Glad to help! Yes, you can copy and paste it into the password field in iTunes when it requests the iCloud account info, leaving the username blank.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Decker
New Contributor

I failed to mention that we are on Casper 9.32 right now and the device is supervised and was sent through the Device Enrollment Program under IOS version 8.0.2. I can't get to the place where I would normally put the activation lock in because I can't reset the device via iTunes like I could on IOS 7.1.1. The Activation Bypass code is not working when I enter it into the iPad after trying to "Sign Out" if the iCloud account, but I'm not sure I should expect it to.

freddie_cox
Contributor III

I'm wondering if there is a re-activation that's occurring with the iOS 8 upgrade that would require a "new" activation bypass code to be sent to the JSS and that isn't happening?

I know from the release notes 9.4 + they have an open defect logged regarding this:
[D-007568] The Activation Lock bypass code is not collected by the JSS v9.4

http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/documents/products/documentation/Casper-Suite-9.52-Release-Notes.pdf?mtime=1412090900

But I have been hanging back on 9.32 as well hoping that this wouldn't affect me.

I know that I have used the Activation Lock bypass code on iOS 8 with 9.32 in my testing with the pre-release software and that I had better luck using iTunes to input the Activation Lock bypass code. Have you tried this method?

http://www.k12techsystems.com/2014/09/activation-lock-bypass-code-in-the-casper-suite/

EDIT: Just read that you haven't been able to actually reset it, You may have to put it into DFU mode to restore.

cpdecker
Contributor III

Maybe I'm crazy, but holding Home and the Power Button at boot just boots it straight into normal operation.

freddie_cox
Contributor III

Make sure it is plugged into your computer, then hold down the power button + Home Button until it restarts. Then, as soon as it restarts, release the power button holding only the home button until you see "Connect to iTunes."

This is the process I usually use (if I'm remembering it correctly) :-)

cpdecker
Contributor III

Sorry, it's been a rough day for some reason. Your advice just got me through to rebooting the device via iTunes. Thanks! I will update soon with progress. I'm guessing I can use the Bypass Activation Lock code the same way I did before now.

freddie_cox
Contributor III

Glad to help! Yes, you can copy and paste it into the password field in iTunes when it requests the iCloud account info, leaving the username blank.

cpdecker
Contributor III

Everything is good now! I just couldn't get it together today I guess.

1) Didn't realize you had to hold Power and Home while the device was booted up. I was trying it while it was turned off.
2) Didn't realize you had to have it connected to iTunes immediately to do the reset. Thought it would reset and then you would connect it to iTunes.

I've done this before so I don't know how I got so mixed up, but thanks very much for your help! :)

Not applicable

Anyone here know how to remove icloud? or maybe where to submit our data to proof owner. i will pay for it info@im-changer.com

Louie2001912
New Contributor

Nolandedie, your link seems a bit suspicious. Does anyone else have experience with this tool?

welljohnson
New Contributor

To removing Find My iPad / iCloud account on iPad / IOS8, it is not different to do it. If you remove iPad/iCloud account for selling iPad, you need to remotely erase it before you can remove it. As far as I know, before selling iPad, you should do three thing. 1. Do iTunes backup for your iPad .
2. Sign out iCloud Account.
3. Erase All Content and Settings.

Ramavhoya
New Contributor

I just bought an iPhone 4 but then it's stuck on activation screen because I don't have the previous owners Apple ID and password , so basically I have no phone right now, is there any way I can possibly use it

Not applicable

If you are unable to contact your predecessor, try to factory reset your iDevice without iCloud password.