EraseEncryptedDisk.sh

bloree
New Contributor II

In our Casper NetBoot, we launch Casper Imaging after auto-login for use with Pre-Stage and AutoRun (for conference room Macs that aren't encrypted). If a user needs to wipe an encrypted disk, they can cancel the login to Casper Imaging and run the following shell script by running an AppleScript launcher app that sits on the desktop.

It took a bit of trial and error, but the sleep commands eliminated any failures. We initially had issues due to the NetBoot not running completely in RAMDisk. Once we updated the rc.netboot file, this has been running flawlessly.

#!/bin/sh

macVolume=diskutil list | grep "Macintosh HD" | awk '{print $7}'
diskutil unmount force /dev/$macVolume
sleep 1
fdisk -i /dev/rdisk0
sleep 1
diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ "Macintosh HD" GPT /dev/rdisk0
sleep 2
open -a Casper Imaging.app

*Edited post for clarity*

15 REPLIES 15

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Thanks for posting!

This is something I need to play with to see if there is a on size fits all solution that we can embed into AutoCasperNBI.

GaToRAiD
Contributor II

@bentoms][/url Here is what I'm doing to give a nice little app for my techs to use.

do shell script "diskutil list | grep /dev"
set Drives to paragraphs of result

set FullList to do shell script "diskutil list | awk '{print $1 $3 $4}' | sed 's/#:NAMESIZE//g' | sed 's/[0-9]://g' | sed '/^$/d' | sed '/disk[0-9]/ i\

'" set selectedDrive to (choose from list Drives with prompt "" & FullList & " Which drive would you like to format? By default, you should format disk0" without multiple selections allowed) as text if selectedDrive is equal to "false" then display dialog "Exiting Program" error number -128 end if set SkynetRemoval to display dialog "Are you sure you want to format: " & selectedDrive buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 2 set SkynetRemoval to returned of question Removal(selectedDrive, SkynetRemoval) display dialog "Drive: " & selectedDrive & " has been formated" on Removal(selectedDrive, SkynetRemoval) try if SkynetRemoval is equal to "Yes" then set Finished to do shell script "sudo diskutil partitionDisk " & selectedDrive & " 1 gpt jhfs+ "Macintosh HD" 100%" end if if SkynetRemoval is equal to "No" then display dialog "Almost destroyed the world....." end if on error do shell script "diskutil unmountDisk force " & selectedDrive do shell script "diskutil mountDisk " & selectedDrive Removal(selectedDrive, SkynetRemoval) end try end Removal

I compiled the applescript into an app, and then it lives on the dock for our techs to use.

elliotjordan
Contributor III

Does this work well on Fusion drives?

GaToRAiD
Contributor II

@elliotjordan not sure, we don't use fusion drives. But while talking to rich trouton, I remember him saying something like this would actually be harmful to fusion drives. But if you have any extras by all means try it out and let us know.

rcorbin
Contributor II

@GaToRAiD Are you the one that was speaking about this during @bentoms presentation ? The person Ben was saying was going to start a Blog ? :)

bentoms

bsilberman
New Contributor

This is great with it being apple script, since I can package it for my netbook. I'm able to get it to start, but I'm getting a script error that the variable "question is not defined". Is there something I may be missing?

GaToRAiD
Contributor II

@silbermb I'm guessing this is the part that is throwing the error:

set SkynetRemoval to display dialog “Are you sure you want to format: ” & selectedDrive buttons {“Yes”, “No”} default button 2
set SkynetRemoval to returned of question

How are you compiling the code? Are you opening up applescript and then just copy pasting it? Make sure that you check the quotes to make sure they are not smart quotes. That is really the only thing I can think of that might be causing you to throw an error, or that something didn't get copied correctly.

GaToRAiD
Contributor II

@silbermb I found the issue, we were running an older version in our netboot environment and it allowed for that call in the code. I have updated and testing in our 10.10 netboot environment and it is now working. You can get the updated app from my git hub. https://github.com/GaToRAiD/DriveWipe

bentoms

@Loree, so the fdisk command wipes the HD regardless of whether it's encrypted or not?

bloree
New Contributor II

Correct. "fdisk -i" initializes and wipes out the partition table regardless of whether or not the disk is encrypted. Then the "diskutil eraseDisk" statement repartitions the disk with a GUID partition and a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition named Macintosh HD.

wmateo
Contributor

@Loree what changes did you do to rc.netboot I want to try this on mine.

bloree
New Contributor II

We were previously replacing the rc.netboot file with one configured for RAMDisk like in this discussion. https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10757

The last 2 NetBoot images I created were done using AutoCasperNBI and all I had to do was check the box to modify the rc.netboot file. I created a package in Composer for the bash script and launcher. Essentially, it is the bash script listed above that sits in the /Library/Scripts/ folder and an AppleScript containing the line: do shell script "/Library/Scripts/eraseEncryptedDisk.sh" which is saved as an application in /private/var/root/Desktop/eraseEncryptedDisk.app. I was able to add this package to the AutoCasperNBI workflow.

My 1-2 day NetBoot creation is down to 1-2 hours. Someone should give Ben Toms a medal.

wmateo
Contributor

@Loree Thanks! will give this a shot.

wyip
Contributor

@elliotjordan I finally got around to running this on a Mac Mini with a Fusion Drive. It breaks the Fusion Drive and just creates a partition on the SSD. If you open Disk Utility, it will prompt you to "Fix" the Fusion Drive. I'll play with this a little to see if I can make it Fusion Drive friendly.

external image link