Does Anyone use Avast?

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

We had been using ClamXAV but have found it not to find as much as Avast..Avast seems to find and remove Malware as ClamxAV may find it but not remove it.

I have been able to distribute it easily and the defaults have the shields turned on.

We also have been testing AdwareMedic but it does not allow distribution.

6 REPLIES 6

Snickasaurus
Contributor

Ironic those two apps mentioned in the same post since Avast injects ads into your browser.

At one time I did use Avast on my Mac but it was my personal one at home. Since there is no reason for me to use an AV on my personal Mac I ended up removing it. We use Sophos AV at work and if you are going to use an AV I can say I stand by them.

Read here and perhaps contact Avast about their ads and a possible way to turn them off.
http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/legit.php

EightQuarterBit
New Contributor III

Avast ad injection via the "shop safe" plugin was indeed an incredibly bone-headed maneuver on Avast's part. It persisted for about a month, and then they stopped bundling that plugin, and removed it from existing installs. Ads are no longer injected by Avast.

EightQuarterBit
New Contributor III

A few tricks to packaging Avast I've found:

1. Dragging the installer pkg into Casper Admin works great, but it obviously doesn't capture the license file.
  2. The license file can be found in these locations, after you've registered (the free version also requires registration, despite the fact that it's free): http://i.imgur.com/f7W6SgJ.jpg
  3. The Avast installer fails if it finds the license file, so set your license file package to a numerically higher priority than the Avast installer, causing the license to be deployed after the installer runs.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

Thank you everyone. good information.

We have had several viruses or malware lately incidents. We have found Avast to do a better job.
I like Adaware Medic but if we install it on a utility machine, it will not scan the target disk.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

Does Sophos remove "malware" ie Geneio, MacKeeper?

rcorbin
Contributor II

AdwareMedic does seem to find things and work. Would be great if you could distribute it or get it to run a remote scan.