Update Inventory (recon) not working when it's the only task enabled in a Self Service

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Since Casper Suite v9.5 and now with 9.6, a Self Service policy I've create to do a recon update via Maintenance > Update Inventory does not work. It goes through the motion but no new info is reported and no error is displayed to the user. The jamf log on the client indicates the policy, but no signs of a recon taking place in the JSS.

As a work around, I've removed the Maintenance task and added the command "jamf recon" to Files and Processes > Execute Command.

Anyone else offer a recon policy within Self Service that is not working?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are you sure its not just pushing it to the background? I think starting with 9.4(?) JAMF began placing the update inventory task as a background process specifically when its run from Self Service.
Have you given it a couple of minutes to see if new inventory does get submitted eventually?

View solution in original post

themacallan
New Contributor III

We have the same type of Self Service policy in place and it is working (9.6), although it works differently now than it used to. In previous versions of Self Service you would see the recon taking place in the progress bar. With recent updates to the Casper Suite, Self Service now kicks off a background process to complete the recon, making Self Service appear to work faster.

If you run your Self Service Update Inventory policy, what you should see is that within a minute or two of execution (depending on the Mac) Self Service should refresh itself automatically. If you watch this and check the Last Inventory Update in the JSS for the same workstation you'll see the Self Service auto-refresh and the recon time match. It's working (in my environment anyway) without any feedback to the user.

Your work-around of running jamf recon as a command absolutely restores the visual feedback you are expecting if that feedback is necessary in your environment. No one in our environment has mentioned a concern with missing visual feedback on inventory updates so we let it ride. :)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are you sure its not just pushing it to the background? I think starting with 9.4(?) JAMF began placing the update inventory task as a background process specifically when its run from Self Service.
Have you given it a couple of minutes to see if new inventory does get submitted eventually?

themacallan
New Contributor III

We have the same type of Self Service policy in place and it is working (9.6), although it works differently now than it used to. In previous versions of Self Service you would see the recon taking place in the progress bar. With recent updates to the Casper Suite, Self Service now kicks off a background process to complete the recon, making Self Service appear to work faster.

If you run your Self Service Update Inventory policy, what you should see is that within a minute or two of execution (depending on the Mac) Self Service should refresh itself automatically. If you watch this and check the Last Inventory Update in the JSS for the same workstation you'll see the Self Service auto-refresh and the recon time match. It's working (in my environment anyway) without any feedback to the user.

Your work-around of running jamf recon as a command absolutely restores the visual feedback you are expecting if that feedback is necessary in your environment. No one in our environment has mentioned a concern with missing visual feedback on inventory updates so we let it ride. :)

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

I created a brand new policy using the checkmark to update inventory and it's behaving in the new post v9.5 fashion.

Thanks @mm2270 and @themacallan !

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, I thought something was wrong - thanks for confirming that recon is pushed to the background when invoked via Self Service. Most welcome change!

--
https://donmontalvo.com