HostName changes in OS X Yosemite, adds a (2) or more

isradame
Contributor

Is anyone seeing the same issue, where the computer name gets added a number?, we are starting to see this more on OS X Yosemite macs.

7 REPLIES 7

corbinmharris
Contributor

I've seen this often on Macs running older versions of OS X. It's a DHCP cache issue.

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Yes, we see exactly the same behaviour here but only since 10.10. My machine is now already "tlinder-macbook (6)".

kyle_jackson
New Contributor

Definitely noticed this happening to about half of my 10.10 clients. Hoping it's resolved with the next release.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Just noticed this on my Mac. A random computer name not used anywhere else on the network and its up to number 7. This is an old recurring issue but it sounds like its back, worse than ever :(

davidhiggs
Contributor III

This has come about since Yosemite and is due to a bug in Bonjour Sleep Proxy Service not dropping the records when the client machine wakes from sleep. If you have an AppleTV, Airport Express or Time Capsule on your network, this will affect the machine.

I believe Apple are investigating. I haven't checked against the 10.10.1 betas to see if it's been patched yet

isradame
Contributor

I disabled the Wake for wi-fi network access, and it seems that is working fine now. Hopefully the 10.10.1 Beta fixes the issue, if this is the case. Re-enabling the option in System Preferences, to check with 10.10.1 Beta 2.

htse
Contributor III

i fought through this issue a couple of weeks ago. Disabling any variation of Wake for XX Access will prevent the client from registering with a Bonjour Sleep Proxy.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3774