Crash Plan Proe Update Question

JimAllsop
New Contributor

Last year I made the 2 packages for the custom Crash Plan installation using the Technical White Paper for Administering Crashplan Proe with Capser Suite.

My question is can I just download the latest Crashplan installer PKG and use the older version of the custom settings in the DMG that I did last year, or do I have to redo both the custom DMG as well as the new PKG at the same time?

What is happening now is the 2 packages work, but the first thing it has to do is update crashplan and that takes quite a while to do. I would like for it to have the latest crashplan on the initial install from Self Service. But if I have to go through the whole process again I might wait on this.

2 REPLIES 2

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

I've been using my old custom file. With the latest PKG file from CrashPlan Pro E without issues. As the Custom file has not changed from 3.6.4 to 3.6.5 (other than fixing that dang typo!)

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

With help from JAMFNation, I've revised my deployment of CrashPlan PROe via self service to the following:

1) Install the custom settings via a package
2) Install the latest client directly from our Master using a script.

I last updated my custom script when version 3.6.1.4 became available. Between 3.5.3 and 3.6.1.4 a new setting appeared, but it wasn't major and the custom setting for 3.5.3 was working properly when 3.6.1.4 was being deployed So depending on how old your custom script is, you may or may not need to update that but generally you don't have to revise it for every version.

Here's how to escape the process of updating your CP PROe package or making the users wait for the update to take place - the magic of curl. This works with our in-house Master. Not sure how to adjust if you have CrashPlan SAS.

#!/bin/sh

# About this script
#
# The CrashPlan Server will always host the most current version of the CrashPlanPROe client installer
# and that makes it the perfect source for obtaining the installer.
#
# By adding in parts of the installPKGfromDMG script from JAMF, we can install the PKG from the DMG.
#
# REFERENCE:  https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=161
# REFERENCE:  additional credits to posts on the JAMFNation - need to properly credit!

# Variables used for logging
logFile="/private/var/log/YourCompanyInstalls.log"

# Logging funtion
log () {
    echo $1
    echo $(date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S: ") $1 >> $logFile  
}

# Use curl to download the dmg file from the master CP server to the /tmp folder
/usr/bin/curl --output /tmp/CrashPlanPROe_Mac.dmg http://YOURcpSERVER.EDU:4280/download/CrashPlanPROe_Mac.dmg

# Mount the DMG
log "Mounting the DMG CrashPlanPROe_Mac.dmg..."
mountResult=`/usr/bin/hdiutil mount -private -noautoopen -noverify /tmp/CrashPlanPROe_Mac.dmg -shadow`
mountVolume=`echo "$mountResult" | grep Volumes | awk '{print $3}'`
mountDevice=`echo "$mountResult" | grep disk | head -1 | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ $? == 0 ]; then
    log " DMG mounted successfully as volume $mountVolume on device $mountDevice."
else
    log "There was an error mounting the DMG. Exit Code: $?"
fi

# Install the PKG wrapped inside the DMG
log "Installing Package Install CrashPlanPROe.pkg from mount path /Volumes/CrashPlanPROe..."
 /usr/sbin/jamf install -path /Volumes/CrashPlanPROe -package "Install CrashPlanPROe.pkg"

if [ $? == 0 ]; then
    log " Package successfully installed."
else
    log "There was an error installing the package. Exit Code: $?"
fi

# Unmount the DMG
echo "Unmounting disk $mountDevice..."
hdiutil detach "$mountDevice" -force

# Delete the DMG
/bin/rm /tmp/CrashPlanPROe_Mac.dmg
/bin/rm /tmp/CrashPlanPROe_Mac.dmg.shadow

Note: Change the name of the file to log results to what you want. Also change the http address to be your CP server.

I used to deploy Java along with CrashPlan, but learned that since version 3.6.1 or 3.6.2, the CrashPlan PROe installer bundles java.

We will be updating from 3.6.3.2 to 4.1.5.1 later today. I'll add more information if the process no longer works.