Issues Imaging Yosemite - Permissions Error

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

Good Morning All,

I am attempting to create my first image for new Macs for Yosemite, and to reimage existing units. I am working with a new Retina iMac as my master. I have tried 2 different methods to create the image and neither has worked.

1. Download Yosemite Updater, import to AutoDMG to add updates, then import into Casper and add to new Config
  2. Clean install of Yosemite on Retina iMac, added updates, Admin account, boot to external drive and run Composer. I then uploaded to Casper via Admin and added to the new Config.

The new config only has 3 items. (Yosemite Installer, AD BIND, and script for configuration settings that runs at the end)

EVERYTIME I try to run the config via Casper Imaging, I get an error message "Error: The file Yosemite_101001_14B25.dmg could not be opened. Please verify the permissions." My netboot server is the NetSUS VM with the image booting Yosemite and Casper 9.61. I am lost, any suggestions? I have remade the installer multiple times with no luck.

Joe

6 REPLIES 6

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Have you reviewed the file permissions of the "Yosemite_101001_14B25.dmg" file on your Casper File Share or JDS?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We have used AutoDMG a few times with Yosemite and Casper and its worked fine. It does sound like a permissions issue. As troubleshooting steps I'd boot to Netboot, manually mount the distribution point, then try:

- Manually copying the dmg from the distribution point to the hard drive to see if it will copy - Try opening the dmg to make sure it can open - Restoring the dmg to the hard drive using disk utility

Last thing (just in case) is to make sure the priority is set to 1 in Casper Admin.

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

jhavvorson, yes I reviewed the permissions and they are exactly the same as other installers. I think I have narrowed down the problem to either the Yosemite Netboot image, or Casper 9.61 imaging. I changed the netboot image back to 10.9.5 and Casper Imaging 9.6 and now things are working. I am going to attempt to boot off of one of my external drives with Yosemite and Casper 9.61 and see if I get the same errors imaging.

Joe

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to Yosemite. When I boot from an external hard drive with Yosemite, I cannot seem to get Casper Imaging to work properly. I have tried both version 9.6 and 9.61, and either it fails to image, or I get an error that it cannot mount the Casper Share. Our Share happens to be on our NetApp SAN and I can manually mount it, but not from within the Application.

I then went back an image of Mavericks 10.9.5 and that seemed to work just fine with Casper Imaging 9.6.1. Something in Yosemite is preventing this from working properly..

Joe

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@joemamasmac, curious to see if you've tried with a 10.10 NBI created via https://macmule.com/AutoCasperNBI

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Sorry to bump an old post, but was there ever a root cause/solution to this? I've had this issue with 9.63 and and 10.10.2. I'm currently imaging a Macbook Air in target disk mode from my iMac, and boot progress hangs at 50% after the initial phase completes. I tried the single user mode fixes for 50% boots, but I kept getting permissions errors on anything I'd try to run (even ls). I repaired the permissions via an external machine and the imaging process continued correctly. Base image was autodmg, but I've never had issues with it when I image via a flash drive.

Edit: Fixed in 9.65 on 10.10.2