Mac not in inventory but can read it using the API

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

bit of a strange one, we have a JSS (v9.4), with a single site. There is a computer that I can locate using the API by name, serial number etc, but searching the inventory using the web interface its not there. Have searched with various bits of known info from the machines inventory record, it just doesn't show up.

So far I've tried:

• A MySQL DB check and repair
  • Restarting tomcat
  • Restarting the server

The JSS is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 incase that has a bearing (I don't think it would).

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nicktong
New Contributor III

@davidacland

Sounds like the record exists in the computers table but not the computers_denormalized table (JSS web interface uses the computers_denormalized table for search and display (faster) whereas the API uses the computers table directly).

To test:

SELECT * FROM computers WHERE udid='YOURUDID-2767-5F47-BF62-8C98EC66A60A';
SELECT * FROM computers_denormalized WHERE udid='YOURUDID-2767-5F47-BF62-8C98EC66A60A';

A jamf recon from that client re-creates its record on the computers_denormalized table and becomes searchable again from the JSS web interface.

I think JAMF should periodically do a consistency check between these two tables.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, would be interested in knowing whether this is the issue in your case.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

nicktong
New Contributor III

@davidacland

Sounds like the record exists in the computers table but not the computers_denormalized table (JSS web interface uses the computers_denormalized table for search and display (faster) whereas the API uses the computers table directly).

To test:

SELECT * FROM computers WHERE udid='YOURUDID-2767-5F47-BF62-8C98EC66A60A';
SELECT * FROM computers_denormalized WHERE udid='YOURUDID-2767-5F47-BF62-8C98EC66A60A';

A jamf recon from that client re-creates its record on the computers_denormalized table and becomes searchable again from the JSS web interface.

I think JAMF should periodically do a consistency check between these two tables.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, would be interested in knowing whether this is the issue in your case.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, checked the tables and that was the issue. I forced an inventory update and it was back in the web interface.

I guess it would correct itself naturally when the next inventory update occurs if it happened again. Not sure how it happened though.

Thanks again for the quick response.