Noobie questions. How to install JSS

clittle
New Contributor II

I have never touch Casper nor SQL. When trying to install JSS it is asking for my:
Server Name: localhost
Server Port: 3306
Database Name: jamfsoftware (I have not created one. Any links on how to?)
Username: jamfsoftware (is this for the OS admin or SQL user? How do I create one?)
Password: Same question as above.

Now I have followed the setup on this page:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=28
This was very helpful but am stuck on trying to install JSS without really knowing what/how to use the SQL part.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

glutz
New Contributor III

The JSS admin guide that comes in the install files is very detailed around how to once you have the basic install of mysql installed to then create the appropriate users in mysql. Then it steps you through adding your web servers so they have access to connect to the database. Again it is very detailed so follow it to the t. The other thing to be careful of is it has to be mysql and not MSQL or oracle or some other flavor of SQL. If you install mysql on the same server as jss then you can leave the server name as is otherwise on the jss server when you load the page you will need to update the server name to what the correct fqdn of the database server IP address.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

You need to launch MySQL through the command line, create the jamfsoftware database, and then define a jamfsoftware username/password to allow access to the database.

Details are listed in this post:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8057

glutz
New Contributor III

The JSS admin guide that comes in the install files is very detailed around how to once you have the basic install of mysql installed to then create the appropriate users in mysql. Then it steps you through adding your web servers so they have access to connect to the database. Again it is very detailed so follow it to the t. The other thing to be careful of is it has to be mysql and not MSQL or oracle or some other flavor of SQL. If you install mysql on the same server as jss then you can leave the server name as is otherwise on the jss server when you load the page you will need to update the server name to what the correct fqdn of the database server IP address.

Good luck!

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

One extra tip, I wouldn't use the password actually printed in the guide *sw03, I've run health checks on a few clients sites where that password has been used. It's only supposed to be an example.