Yosemite Printing Issues - Paused Printer

elund
New Contributor III

Printers that were working fine in 10.9 are now not always working after upgrading to 10.10. The print job stays paused. Printing to a Windows printer server via spools along with Papercut. The print job is not even getting to the server, get’s paused on the MacBook Air. Set up the printers new in 10.10 and added them into the JSS. Still no go when installed from Self Service. When I look at the printer in System Preferences the printer icon is generic and “Kind” is blank.

Errors I noticed in Console
12/10/14 8:34:45.944 AM com.apple.kextd[22]: com.apple.filesystems.smbfs failed sandbox check; omitting.
12/10/14 8:34:45.954 AM SHARPAuctionRoom[703]: Loading com.apple.filesystems.smbfs status = -603946989
12/10/14 8:34:45.967 AM sandboxd[147]: ([703]) smb(703) deny system-kext-load

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

luispalumbo
Contributor

Hi @elund,

I had the same problem you are having and then I found this PaperCut KB article, http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MacOS1010YosemiteKnownIssues, then created the following script to deploy to Yosemite computers:

#!/bin/bash
#Script created on 12/11/2014
#Luis Fernando Palumbo de Oliveira
#
#This script changes the file cups-files.conf in order to fix an issue with
#Mac OS X 10.10, Yosemite, where computers can't connect to the printer server
#using PaperCut or FujiXerox MyPrints
#
#
SystemVersion=`sw_vers | grep ProductVersion | awk '{print $2}' | cut -c 4-5`
if [ `echo $SystemVersion` = "10" ]; then
    sh -c 'echo "Sandboxing Off" >> /etc/cups/cups-files.conf'
    launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd
    exit 0
else
    echo "System is not Compatible"
    exit 1
fi

#Enable the lines below in order to remove the "Sandboxing Off" line from the cups-files.conf file
<<COMMENT
mv /etc/cups/cups-files.conf /tmp/
sh -c 'sed -e '/^Sandboxing*/d' /tmp/cups-files.conf > /etc/cups/cups-files.conf
rm -rf /tmp/cups-files.conf
COMMENT

I hope it helps you.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

danielc29
New Contributor III

Hi Elund,
Have you updated your printer drivers?? None of the printers in my environment would print on Yosemite until Canon released a driver pack for Yosemite correcting the printing issue

strider_knh
Contributor II

When you installed it manually on the 10.10 station did you test it before adding it to Casper Admin?

What you are describing has typically been a print driver issue for me. Either a driver update or recreation of the print queue has typically helped me.

elund
New Contributor III

@daniel29 - I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure they are. Good idea.

@strider.knh - Yes, I am able to print fine from the MacBook Air that I created them on. If I add the printer(s) manually on a MacBook Air that is having problems printing it prints fine without pausing. I'll double check on the drivers installed.

Thanks!

luispalumbo
Contributor

Hi @elund,

I had the same problem you are having and then I found this PaperCut KB article, http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MacOS1010YosemiteKnownIssues, then created the following script to deploy to Yosemite computers:

#!/bin/bash
#Script created on 12/11/2014
#Luis Fernando Palumbo de Oliveira
#
#This script changes the file cups-files.conf in order to fix an issue with
#Mac OS X 10.10, Yosemite, where computers can't connect to the printer server
#using PaperCut or FujiXerox MyPrints
#
#
SystemVersion=`sw_vers | grep ProductVersion | awk '{print $2}' | cut -c 4-5`
if [ `echo $SystemVersion` = "10" ]; then
    sh -c 'echo "Sandboxing Off" >> /etc/cups/cups-files.conf'
    launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd
    exit 0
else
    echo "System is not Compatible"
    exit 1
fi

#Enable the lines below in order to remove the "Sandboxing Off" line from the cups-files.conf file
<<COMMENT
mv /etc/cups/cups-files.conf /tmp/
sh -c 'sed -e '/^Sandboxing*/d' /tmp/cups-files.conf > /etc/cups/cups-files.conf
rm -rf /tmp/cups-files.conf
COMMENT

I hope it helps you.

elund
New Contributor III

@luispalumbo - Yes this sounds like the issues I am seeing. I'll be adding this to the JSS and testing it out to see if that fixes the issues. I'll post a follow up with what I find out. Thanks!!

elund
New Contributor III

Every MacBook Air running 10.10 with printing problems has been fixed with this script. Working great! Thanks!

luispalumbo
Contributor

Hi @elund,

That's good to know it worked for you too.

Thanks!

wstewart3
New Contributor III

This solved everything for me as well! I tossed in the negotiate line in there just for good measure.

I simply made a script:

sudo sh -c 'echo "Sandboxing Relaxed" >> /etc/cups/cups-files.conf'
sudo launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd
sudo cupsctl DefaultAuthType=Negotiate

And then the authentication window popped up immediately and everything seemed to work fine. Thanks for the script and the link!

I also notice that you set "Sandboxing" to off here. I was reading through comments on the papercut website and they suggested that "Off" may open up vulnerabilities, and that "Relaxed" is a much better option.

jevans76
New Contributor

The issue with the paused printer queues with PCClient running under Yosemite is addressed [here](www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MacOS1010YosemiteKnownIssues)

As per the above link, the issue was deprecated in PCClient 14.3.29819

Updating to the latest version of the PCClient MF 15.0 resolves this issue without the need for the script fix.

I've spoken to Papercut about installing the latest client over the top of already installed older versions of the client.

Their response is below:

You should be able to load the newer version of PCClient directly over the top of the existing 14.3 client. The only other files that might exist would be plists in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder that would only exist if you'd intentionally rolled them out. Just to double-check -- have you already rolled out a Launchd plist for the client application on your Yosemite based systems? If not you'll want to transition to it as loginhooks are no longer a viable option in later builds of OS X. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

japall
New Contributor

@jevans76 We are using 15.1 and this issue is very much still there. I spoke to our papercut person and he says the "resolved" means that that command resolves the issue, being it a mac issue.

daubenspeckm
New Contributor

Although we are not using Papercut, this script fixed all of our printer pausing errors when printing from Yosemite to SMB/Samba print queues. Now suddenly, everything broke again. No matter which of many printers we try, any job submitted to any queue immediately pauses the printer. The SMB queues are working fine for the remainder of the organization, basically anything not Mac. Is anyone else seeing this?

The first thing I tried was to update the HP driver bundle (3.1 was recently released) and that made no difference. Direct IP printing to printers works fine, but boy would that be a mess if that's what we are forced to do. Any suggestions?

Typhoon_87
New Contributor

I am still seeing issues with this from Yosemite machines. Are there any other options. I am using the latest drivers from Toshiba but it appears they use some function that is obsolete according to an error in the console. Mac printing is quite the pain in the behind.