Disable Yosemite update available notification on 10.6 computers

tomgideon2003
Contributor

Hi,

I have found 10.8+ computers easy to disable the warning about the available Yosemite update but I am looking for a way to do it on my old 10.6 computers. On the rest of my computers, I just have the Notification Center disabled. Let me know your thoughts! I know that I can go to each laptop and hide the update but I would like an easier way to push it out via a policy.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hkabik
Valued Contributor

We've run terminal command:

softwareupdate --schedule off

to stop the notifications.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I've never looked into this. What's your method of disabling the Yosemite update notification for 10.7+?

hkabik
Valued Contributor

We've run terminal command:

softwareupdate --schedule off

to stop the notifications.

tomgideon2003
Contributor

On my 10.8+ computers, I totally disable Notification Center from loading at startup by deleting the file /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist. It hasn't caused any issues on the computers and most of my users wouldn't know how to deal with notifications anyways.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Notification Center made it debut on 10.8, not 10.7.

tomgideon2003
Contributor

Wow, thanks mm2270! Just realized that mistake!

tomgideon2003
Contributor

Thank you hkabik. I might do that on my 10.6 and 10.7 computers. They are already so outdated that updates do matter much anyways.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

We manage our software update scheduling manually via Casper so it behooves us to have the internal schedule disabled even on modern OS machines. But it definitely seems like a safe option for legacy OS's that aren't likely to have much coming to them in the future.

jonnydford
Contributor II

If you type in terminal: man softwareupdate it'll give you the list of commands for software updates - one being --ignore.

Once you have the identifier for Yosemite (softwareupdate -l will give you the full list of available) you can:

softwareupdate --ignore *identifier*

tomgideon2003
Contributor

Thank you jonnydford, this also is a good answer. I will look into it more.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

jonnydford's method won't work because the Yosemite installer isn't being offered by software updates, it's being offered by the Mac App Store.

tomgideon2003
Contributor

I realized that when trying it today. It is good for any other software updates but not new OS's.