Automatic Product Registration (with Apple) using Casper

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

we are looking for a way to submit the Product Registration to Apple for new computers automatically (and registered to the company) instead of having the user being able to do this on his own.

Szenario is a personalized, decentralized environment, new computers are enrolled using DEP (ideally). We would like that there is no product registration for the user at the end of the Setup Assistant, instead that should be done using a policy/script/whatever ...

With this we want to make sure that users can not register the computer for themselves, but company info is used to do so.

2 REPLIES 2

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Why do you need to register? http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202741

If it's a case of wanting to make sure they have AppleCare then I believe if you buy directly from Apple that it gets automatically registered assuming you get AppleCare at the time of purchase. If it's not related to AppleCare then it doesn't seem like registration matters much.

If you want to do DEP then you technically must go through the setup assistant. Not sure if there's a way to bypass registration in that scenario. But if you don't, then you can definitely skip it by making sure this file already exists:

/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

If it doesn't, a simple bash script that runs the command should do the trick:
touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

If you are going to be using DEP, you can skip these screens when your Macs run Setup Assistant, this is configured via your PreStage Enrollment:

• Restore
  • Apple ID
  • Terms of Service
  • Diagnostics
  • Registration

I don't believe there's a way to automate or restrict registering but I also don't think you need to register for any real reason.