'About This Mac' shows number instead of OS X name

lbmoll
New Contributor II

I ran across a weird issue where the About This Mac info box shows a number instead of "OS X Yosemite".

external image link

It's not related to the image since I imaged two Macs simultaneously (same AutoDMG image through DeployStudio) and only one of the computers have this issue. This doesn't seem to affect performance, it's just weird.

I've tried repairing disk permissions which had no effect. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd like to avoid re-installing the machine since it's such a "small" issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevevalle
Contributor III

I have read somewhere that it is a language selection issue. Choose English (Australia) and the number should change. I haven't had this issue, so I can't test it!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

andysemak
Contributor

Seeing the same. Exact same number.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Just had a look for the string "OS X Yosemite". I can't find it in sw_vers or system_profiler anywhere so I'm not sure where its pulling it from.

Hopefully its just a cosmetic issue and won't cause problems with a script further down the line!

stevevalle
Contributor III

I have read somewhere that it is a language selection issue. Choose English (Australia) and the number should change. I haven't had this issue, so I can't test it!

lbmoll
New Contributor II

stevevalle success!

Changing the language and removing the "faulty" one seemed to work (reboot required!) . I chose English (U.K) since that's where I'm shipping the device (my DeployStudio workflow just chooses "English" which I guess is English International of something). Anyways, thanks for your help guys!