What is - error. *** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument ?

Phil
New Contributor

Hi,

I just created a new CS6 enterprise package, this is the error I receive when I push it out to a Mac using Casper remote 9.64, I've been unable to find an explanation for error ** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument *.

Just confirmed that the CS6 Install package works through ARD.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Phil

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Successfully authenticated.
Verifying Computer's Identity...
The MAC Address has been verified.
Checking Operating System Version...
Running Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)
Verifying /usr/sbin/jamf...
/usr/sbin/jamf is current (9.64)
Verifying /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist...
Preparing Policy...
There was an error.
*** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument [/ul][/ul]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

I have seen this in our environment and was told it is a defect that prevents anything from running on a computer while it is at the login screen, such as a "startup" trigger. But there is no fix at this time.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

I have seen this in our environment and was told it is a defect that prevents anything from running on a computer while it is at the login screen, such as a "startup" trigger. But there is no fix at this time.

wenwei_hsu
New Contributor II

Is this an issue related to the recent 9.64 upgrade? I started noticing clients not applying the policies changes I am pushing out and found the same error messages in the log. I don't recall ever having this issue since I always schedule system update/maintenance tasks after hours when no one is logged in to the computer.

larsc
New Contributor II

We also ran into this problem after upgrading to 9.64 two days ago and it rendered ~50 of our lab room Macs not able to talk to the JSS. It seems it starts working normally (at least temporarilly) when someone logs in at the consol. A restart does not help. As I understand this means the client won't be able to check-in or do inventory update as long as this problem persists - unless you manually (and daily?) physically logs in to them... Or has anyone come to any solution?

millersc
Valued Contributor

This is defect D-008559 and introduced in 9.64. It's been marked as critical to the dev team since it does impact operational usage. I'm patiently waiting as it also hit us.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Add me to this list...
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

millersc
Valued Contributor

@gshackney email your account manager. Just let him know the defect number so they can add your account to the list. The more effected by this, the more resources allocated to fixing it.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

According to him they hope to have 9.65 by end of day today to correct this.
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

lynnp
New Contributor

Running into this as well. Ugh.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hi @lynnp

9.65 addresses the issue being discussed in this thread; it should be available for you to download under the My Assets section of JAMF Nation.

If you find, after updating to 9.65, that there are some machines that are not getting their communication with the JSS restored after ~10 minutes, please go through the steps in this KB.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support