Further manage " Guest User Account" ?

spowell01
Contributor

Hello, we are using the built in guest user account across our district for various uses. It works great during conferences, parents can sign in and access the internet without having to worry about accounts details. I now have a request to create links to 3 specific websites and make them available to parents during a specific evening. Is there a way to place documents/shortcuts on the desktop that would essentially come back each time the guest account was refreshed or logged out of? Maybe my only option would be to create another managed user account and then place the documents there, i just like the features of the guest account...

3 REPLIES 3

spowell01
Contributor

Now I'm waiting to hear back if just placing a folder with URL's inside the applications folder will work for this situation. I found a couple forum posts online about modifying the guest user template but I'm not sure how successful they were....

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

How about creating a .DMG package with your 3 .webloc files on the Desktop, then push it with FUT and FEU checked off?

The Guest account will pull from the System User template, so those 3 .webloc files should show up each time a user logs into the Guest account.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You could drop them into /Users/Shared and have a login script something like:

if user = guest
copy files from users shared to guest home folder desktop

Set that to ongoing until you want it to stop.

That way the template is left alone but the files are put into place each time the account is used.