Tracking student application usage information

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello JAMFnation!

We are starting to have some problem students that spend a lot of their class time to play games or chat. Casper isn't especially strong in tracking exact usage information, nor for specific time frames.
While I know part of this is rules needing to be enforced, this is hard to accomplish with deniability from students, I'm needing a way to track application usage during specific times of the day, what the students do out of class time is little of my concern.

What are your experiences with different programs to do this?
I know Qustodio is an option, but I am purely wanting the tracking aspect, not any of the blocking features.

7 REPLIES 7

notverypc
New Contributor III

I believe Apple Remote Desktop can track application usage. May not give you everything by I'm sure it shows front most application etc...

stevevalle
Contributor III

I have had previous experience with exactly what you are describing. The method I used was not optimal, but worked.

The teacher was able to provide user and computer information and I was able to use the application usage reporting. This showed me the applications used for that day and I was able to create restricted software records that emailed me whenever specific apps were used (and killed the process). It didn’t take long for students to realise they were being monitored.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@notverypc ARD gives about the same amount of app usage info as the JSS does. It does track when an app is opened, but not when it is brought to the foreground if it is already open.

@stevevalle I don't want to outright restrict the software, the methodology at my work place is very much allow free reign but to teach proper use/behaviour expectancy. So flat out restricting it goes against that, I just want to be able to monitor what time the apps are opened and for how long they're at the foreground during class time so then proper measures can be taken via speaking to the student.

stevevalle
Contributor III

@Matt.Sim - You can always setup restricted software records and have the email option ticked, but not kill the process. That way you get the emails but students don't know the usage is being monitored.

That way you have the records in your email with times, dates, etc.

Just a thought :)

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@stevevalle I considered this, and might give it a go, though I will end up getting several hundred emails from it, as it's three year levels that are wanting to be looked in to.

stevevalle
Contributor III

@Matt.Sim - Yeah, I had the same issue. I created a separate folder with a rule for those emails!

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

I'm trying out ARD, will at least give it a go before exploring other, more expensive options.