Talk to macs while asleep in the trolley

khurram
Contributor III

We can't push apps or talk to macs while they are in the trolley or they are in sleep mode. Is there a way to wake them up remotely. If we don't let them go to sleep while in the trolley then my understanding is that the macbooks won't charge properly also the machines' life would be shortened. Would somebody be able to advise the standards of doing this properly. We are pushing Adobe CC (some packages) and its taking ages because the macbooks are not always open.

2 REPLIES 2

cgiordano
Contributor

One suggestion I might be able to offer is to schedule a startup on a specific day or time using a Configuration Profile. I haven't tested it so I don't know if it'll work while they are closed in a trolley/cart, but I'd suggest giving that a shot.

In Configuration Profiles, scroll down to the Energy Saver settings, select Configure then go to the "Schedule" tab, tick the box to schedule a startup and you'll have all your options there.

Hope that helps!
Cheers and good luck!
Chris

b417b1341605451ba83d4e9e887a2369

Look
Valued Contributor III

I have a script

#!/bin/bash
TomorrowsDate=`date -v +1d +"%m/%d/%Y"`
RandomMinutes=`date +"%S"`
pmset schedule wakeorpoweron "$TomorrowsDate 01:$RandomMinutes:00"
pmset schedule wakeorpoweron "$TomorrowsDate 03:$RandomMinutes:00"

Basically it just preprograms a couple of wakes for a semi random time (to spread the wakes of all machines across an hour) the next morning, generally I have it scoped to machines showing as out of date, but you could have some kind of cyclic policy implemented ie: schedule a wake just over 24 hours in the future on a daily policy, basically it would wake and as soon as it ran it's policies it would schedule another for the next day