System Preferences Config Profile & Carbonite backup software

cgiordano
Contributor

Hi all,

We recently started restricting access to some System Preferences via Configuration Profile. In the Config Profile it basically shows all of the applications that are built into the OS, however how do we the ability to control third-party System Preferences, other than Java and mySQL? One of our end users lost access to his personal copy of Carbonite because it isn't an option in the Configuration Profile. Right now I have to re-open access to him so he can control Carbonite, which I'd prefer not to do since our company doesn't use that software.

Any suggestions or help would be great!
Thanks!
Chris

3 REPLIES 3

nessts
Valued Contributor II

are you running 9.65?
if you go back and edit your profile do see buttons at the top that say enable or disable selected items?

I think JAMF finally implemented the parity with profilemanager on OS X server that allows you to just black list the ones you do not want people using.

If you are on some older version and cannot upgrade for some reason you might want to install server, create a profile in profilemanger and then import it.

As you can see in my picture (well maybe since the icons are so lame now they almost look as good greyed out) only Profile iCloud and Internet accounts are disabled everything else is enabled. 0b89049d67604e63bf088177df1befc7

pblake
Contributor III

@cgiordano - If you don't upgrade to 9.6.5 you can add 3rd party preferences to your JSS for management. Before 9.65 it was "which do you want to allow." So if your JSS doesn't know of the system preference, it would be automatically blocked. After 9.65 is was "which do you want to block" Does that makes sense? See below on how to add in your Carbonite preference for allowance.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=204

cgiordano
Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks @pblake and @nessts for your input. We've updated our JSS in the JAMF Cloud and now have the ability to block instead of approve System Preferences. I appreciate the input! I'll also look into the option in Server for the additional options for System Preferences.

Thanks again!
-Chris