Disaster Recover and backup JSS

catfeetstop
Contributor II

Hey everybody,

I need to set up a disaster recovery server for our JSS. I've looked around and I think I understand what needs to be done, I need to clarify some stuff though. The backup server will be at a different location. I know I'll need to update the DNS pointer to the backup server in the event the primary goes down. I have some questions about that.

I need to confirm, but I believe our primary server has two DNS pointers, one for hostname -> IP and one for JSS URL -> IP. Will we only need update the DNS pointer for the JSS URL? The backup server will have a different hostname but I'll set it up with the same JSS URL, right?

So the primary server will sync the database backup and CasperShare to the backup server, then if we need to swap over to the backup server all I do is run the JSS setup utility, use the same URL and update the DNS pointer.

What about the certificates? Can I use the same certificates that were on the primary server? Just copy them from Keychain Access?

Thanks for your help and please pardon any ignorance!

• Jamie
1 REPLY 1

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

That sounds correct to me. Definitely a good idea to keep the JSS Url separate from the host name so you can swap them around if needed.

I normally go for a FQDN on each server, ie jss01. and jss02. With the JSS URL being casper. in the end it doesn't really matter, as long as the service URL isn't a server host name.

The client certs etc are all in the backup you are restoring. The only external very will be for tomcat if you have a publically signed SSL certificate.

Be careful with the DNS TTL. If that's too high there could be a long delay before the clients switch to the new server.