Netboot Image appears when holding ALT at startup but not in "System Preferences>Startup Disk"

nigelg
Contributor

I just recently changed to using the NetSUS instead of Apple Servers for net booting. I have built a new image using AutoCasperNBI and I can successfully boot to it by holding ALT at startup and manually selecting from the available startup disks.

What I can't do is see it in "System Preferences > Startup Disk" which is weird and if anyone has an idea what could be up, I would appreciate it as it breaks zero touch imaging.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retrac
Contributor

We found the the same results when moving away from an Xserve to an Ubuntu hosted NetSUS.

Both versions never seem to show up in Sys Pefs, but Alt or N key booting finds the broadcast and boots from it.

We have advised our techs to use Cas Remote to send a netboot bless if a rebuild is required, it's just a tick box.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Retrac
Contributor

We found the the same results when moving away from an Xserve to an Ubuntu hosted NetSUS.

Both versions never seem to show up in Sys Pefs, but Alt or N key booting finds the broadcast and boots from it.

We have advised our techs to use Cas Remote to send a netboot bless if a rebuild is required, it's just a tick box.

nigelg
Contributor

Thats what I use for zero touch but I had assumed that it was dependant on a net boot image being available in "Startup Disk". Just tested it and it works setting the bless from Casper Remote. Cool, thanks @Retrac

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

BSDPy the best netboot server around.
Can host multiple NBI's and they show up in option boot and start up disk.

nigelg
Contributor

Just had a look, BSDPy looks interesting.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@nigelg Apple Thunderbolt/USB to Ethernet Adaptors or 3rd party?

nigelg
Contributor

@bentoms Hi Ben, I was using an iMac with built in Ethernet.