Making a PKG to place config file in all user folders

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

We have installed basICColor color management software on all our Macs, and now there is a specific configuration file (.dcj) that we need to place into a User Settings folder. The folder path is ~/Documents/basICColor display 5/UserSettings . What I want is to make a package that simply drops that file into that folder for all user folders on a given Mac.

I tried making the package in Composer by dragging the configuration file into the left sidebar under Sources, and building the package. I then placed the Package in Casper Admin, and made sure to turn on Fill Existing User directories. I then tested installing the pakage with Remote on my Mac and my coworkers Mac. It worked on mine but not his.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm thinking that its something to do with how I am building the package, in that it worked for me since it knew the exact path to install to as it was built on my machine. Is there a simpler way to tell Casper "Take this file and put it here for everyone"?

Thanks,

-Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

It sounds like you are doing it correctly except for one thing: You must build the package as a DMG, not a PKG.

DMGs allow you to use FEU and FUT, PKGs do not.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pblake
Contributor III

Can you post a screenshot of the Composer contents? Also check the permissions on the settings. If you left yourself as the owner, that could be the cause.

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

It sounds like you are doing it correctly except for one thing: You must build the package as a DMG, not a PKG.

DMGs allow you to use FEU and FUT, PKGs do not.

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

1f7a9e22e0df47dd97dbbc08d96a867c

pblake
Contributor III

Look at the Owner and Group down there. I would set the owner to the local admin of the machine, the group to staff, and give group & everyone executable rights. That's my suggestion. I would also set this at the basiCColor Display 5 folder level and apply permissions down.