apple tv not activating after added them to DEP

guzmanhm
New Contributor II

I have a couple of apple tvs that we restored and updated and they are being seen by the JSS and as a device in DEP but will not activate they can see the network and I can ping them. Back story this started to happen yesterday which is coincidental that DEP had an update to there service terms.84627519fdc4469385ebb06e1f6931a4

11 REPLIES 11

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Silly question but I take it you've accepted the new terms in the DEP portal? We couldn't do anything in the portal until we had done that.

claven
New Contributor III

@guzmanhm

I had the same question back in 9.62. We opened a case and the conclusion was that Apple TVs are not supported via DEP and that configurator was the only option to get them enrolled. Here was our case number: [ ref:_00D80cOw4._500C0gnvu4:ref ]. I grabbed a screenshot from the 9.7 admin guide. Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news, I'm curious if you can get something other than configurator working though.e5d9b7742f194885b2d0e72c8ca7b826

Felipe_hernande
New Contributor III

That is correct you are unable to enroll apple tvs using DEP.

guzmanhm
New Contributor II

So silly question can not not have them assigned in from DEP to jamf and they should activate? Or is the curse if there in DEP you have to use configurator to get them activated...

claven
New Contributor III

@guzmanhm Not a silly question at all.

I had to pull our test Apple TV out of any PreStage Enrollment groups on Casper. After that, I then restored it and then I could enroll it again with Configurator. I wish we could DEP them just like iPads/Macs. I don't believe that I had any form of success managing Apple TVs other than pushing a wireless configuration profile to them so I didn't have to type in our PSK key. I can't recall what upgrade hit us hard, but we had to go re-enroll almost half of a building worth of them by hand (the failed ones stopped checking in, but were enrolled). It really helped me to appreciate DEP on iPads after that experience. i'm assuming that you have yours assigned to a PreStaged Enrollment group, if so pull it from that group and give a restore / configurator a try. I'm curious to see if that gets you going again. I still have our test Apple TV floating in the unassigned pool in DEP with hope someday that i can assign it.

Curt

guzmanhm
New Contributor II

After removing them from DEP and a PreStaged group they seem to act a bit better NTP is still acting funky on these which might be some of the problem.

claven
New Contributor III

@guzmanhm I haven't had many issues with NTP, we tried an internal setup but when the cold weather season started we had so many Macs that had the default time since the gel batteries froze. We ended up using the default NTP settings so users could at least sync at home since our NTP server was internal only.

On our ATVs I just set the Time Zone setting to Automatic and so far it's been great. I checked our windows based DHCP setup and we are not pushing any NTP settings to the end clients "004 Time Server". Are you pushing NTP settings on your end?

Curt

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@claven I thought AppleTV's were hard coded to point to time.apple.com..

This can cause issues with 802.1x, as they lose the time when powered off for a few minutes.

The idea of pushing NTP via DHCP sounds pretty slick.

claven
New Contributor III

@bentoms Thank you. I think they are hard coded as well. I've never tried the DHCP option but maybe someone will have to luck with it. We had nothing but problems with 802.1x, today we are a PSK with MAC filter shop just to get around the NTP / cold weather / power outage endless loop :)

guzmanhm
New Contributor II

@claven we have tested out and redirected time.apple.com to point it to our internal time server but still nothing. Its happening on all iOS devices. We are still trying to collect more info since this just started happing last week.

This is the error we are getting CoreTime: Received source unavailable from “NTP

claven
New Contributor III

@guzmanhm Could it be a content filter by chance? We whitelisted everything we could find that related to Apple's services.