EAP-TLS Connection Troubleshooting

kristianlee
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot the connection from a 10.10 client to an EAP-TLS enabled wireless network.

We've verified that the certificate we're using to authenticate is ok, but just getting a 'Connection Failed' while trying to connect.

Nothing seems to be logged into the console.app, having googled around on this it seems from this page you can enable more verbose logging by running this command:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.eapolclient LogFlags -int -1

Only problem is, that on 10.10 'com.apple.eapolclient' doesn't exist!

The only similar one I can find is this: com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

And it doesn't respond to changing the logflags value.

Anyone else run into this? Has it been moved elsewhere or renamed?

5 REPLIES 5

kristianlee
New Contributor

Bump, any thoughts anyone?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Not sure about this file but I've had to troubleshoot these types of issues a few times at different sites. I've had the most success looking at the connection attempts and logs from the network side, specifically the authentication / RADIUS service.

Error messages on clients, even in the log files, are often intentionally vague and unhelpful as they are at the mercy of the info that the network gives them. This is so that hackers can't glean too much useful info that will aid them.

Not quite the answer you were looking for but I hope this is of some help.

jhuhmann
Contributor

+1 for David's comment. Get the mac address from your client system and search the logs on your radius server for it. That's where you'll get the error message that will tell you something.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Is this the file you need for 10.10.3?

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

I'm not sure what valid keys are which can be added.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Sorry misread your post. Disregard mine!