Reminder Messages

drioux
Contributor

As my very first post to JAMF Nation (see: going from being a taker, to being a giver)...

As a high school we've come to realize that regular restarts are not a high priority for the kids. The sheer amount of stuff that gets solved by a restart is staggering. I have been trying to find a simple way to display a regular restart reminder to the users. I have tried a number of different scripts all with some degree of success, but nothing foolproof. Today I had an epiphany of sorts. Here it is:

I created a Policy with no payload. Then under User Interactions I simply added the message "Remember to restart regularly!" in the Start Message field, scoped it to all clients and am running it weekly. Simple and elegant!

It was so simple I have been flying right by it! I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of it sooner. I'm sure it's not an original idea, but I thought I would share

2 REPLIES 2

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@drioux thanks for sharing!

It's often easy to go too "IT" & overcomplicate things, it's nice when simple works.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Nicely done. Start and stay simple where you can!

If, in the future you want to trigger that only on systems that haven't been restarted in a week (or any given time) it's pretty easy to use existing extension attributes listed here on JAMF Nation, in a smart group to light off those notices.

P.S. Never be embarrassed about posting something that worked for you! Someone will ALWAYS be in your boat!