VPP for iWork/iLife

mzago
New Contributor III

Not sure if this is new or not, but I picked this up on my RSS feeds. There appears to be a way to get credit via Volume Purchase Program for iLife and iWork licenses on hardware from October 2013 onward.

This would be useful to companies that want to follow the letter of the law with licensing and want to provide iLife or iWork without using the app adoption process (which is between consumers and Apple).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203022

8 REPLIES 8

atrivas
New Contributor

Yes you should be able to use the link you included in your post to claim the licenses. I did this and setup an MDM in JSS, I distribute Managed app licenses for iWorks and other software. Managed so I can reclaim licenses for future re-distribution. You will need to jump through a few hoops and provide some company info. Just follow the instructions on the link and you should be set.

etippett
Contributor II

@atrivas So what exactly do you end up with once you go through with this and how does it all work? Does Apple send a list of redemption codes based on the number of machines you provide proof of purchase for and do you then just distribute those like any other VPP app?

Thanks,
Eric

atrivas
New Contributor

@etippett Yes in fact I had Apple populate the original batch of licenses on our MDM. So essentially the first batch of machines that I showed proof of purchase was about 173 machines. After it was said and done I had all 173 available for distribution in JAMF VPP Assignments/ Apps/Mac Apps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tt5knygcv28h5w/Screenshot%202015-05-27%2013.57.59.png?dl=0

Image link above shows what you could see in your JSS. Let me know if that helps or if there is more info you need to assist you.

Andrew

etippett
Contributor II

@atrivas Cool, thanks for that. What AppleID are those tied to then? How does updating those apps work? Is the end user able to do so?

Thanks,
Eric

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

You assign the app to users with VPP. They install it where they wish by signing into the app store with the Apple ID they chose to link to your VPP invitation the JSS sends them.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

I actually just had this done also, got a license for all of iWorks for every device, makes things considerably more easy to meet apple compliance on distributing these.

etippett
Contributor II

So it seems like it's only a solution for one-to-one deployments, not labs. Since they're associating the app to their Apple ID, doesn't that constitute a transfer of ownership? Or are you able to revoke VPP code?

atrivas
New Contributor

@etippett When you send an invitation from JSS for Apple VPP it is accepted by any apple ID. The JSS/Apple MDM token is registered with the apple ID/Device. You can later revoke and retain the seat license. Also if you purchase other apps from the iTunes Apple VPP Business store you must check the Managed license.